Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 12:17 AM   #1
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Horror Anthologies

What are your favorite horror fiction anthologies? I've bought a few in trade paperback lately because I couldn't find the ones I wanted for my nook.

I'm most interested in collections with newer stories -- they don't have to all be original to the anthology, but it's nice to find stories that are just a couple of years old. Do you prefer theme anthologies (for example, an all-werewolf anthology or an all-zombie anthology)? Or do you prefer non-themed anthologies?

Also, what single author collections are your favorites? Are there any lesser known ones you'd recommend? Any small press single author collections (particularly along the line of the really really cool Ash-Tree Press and Midnight House collections)?
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:31 AM   #2
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The Dark Descent edited by David Hartwell. It's huge and was split into 3 books for the mass market paperback. I have the one volume trade paperback. It more or less traces the history of horror.
The old Alfred Hitchcock anthologies are great too.

As far as single author collections I would recommend something by Robert Aickman like Cold Hand in Mine or The Wine Dark Sea.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
The Dark Descent edited by David Hartwell. It's huge and was split into 3 books for the mass market paperback. I have the one volume trade paperback. It more or less traces the history of horror.
The old Alfred Hitchcock anthologies are great too.
I think I have that one somewhere, but I'm afraid to read it because it's so long. An e-book edition would be great because it's so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
As far as single author collections I would recommend something by Robert Aickman like Cold Hand in Mine or The Wine Dark Sea.
Ooh, Aickman. If you are into mailing lists, you would love All Hallows and Horrabin Hall. I learned about Aickman from the people on those groups. And from posts alt.books.ghost-fiction (eek, usenet ) until that group became cursed and desolate. (Looong story)
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I'll be watching this thread myself!

Meanwhile, Critteranne, you can download my Risen Short Stories for free. Follow the link below. Five stories of unholy resurrections. They're light reading, more wry than scary, but they're in the genre.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Not to go too far off on a different direction, but the Podcastle podcast is totally killer horror short fiction. An average episode runs about 20-25 minutes, the readers are usually very good and the story selection is amazing. There's one called "Camp" that I'll never get out of my head. Never.

Obviously, it's an audio podcast, so it fits into a different slot in my life than reading but it's about all I need to get enough horror. It should be easy enough to find with Google.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
There're anthologies of H.P. Lovecraft here on Mobileread.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:30 PM   #7
Simon Wood
Addict
Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
David Morrell's BLACK EVENING is a must read.

I'd also recommend some of Comet Press' anthologies such as Sick Things and Death Panel.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:20 PM   #8
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
I just spent 2 hours at the book store trying to come up with something but maybe the fine peeps here can help . Okay seriously, I'm looking for horror anthologies that have like, ghost hauntings and along the lines of,"the thing w/o a face."I don't know how to describe what I'm looking for but I'm not into specific genres (werewolves, vampires, ghosts, hauntings) but I do not do zombies or zombie-ridden towns. Sorry! Anywho, I wish they had like a YA version, the independent reader stuff I found was a little too young and the stories were waaaaayyyyy too short-some were only a page long. I loooove the drawings in the Alvin Schwartz's books, lol.
Don't let me waste my money on ebooks I won't read!
Oh yeah, and I'm not into short stories that are 200 pages long;stuff that's 20-30 pages will do; I'm just starting to re-aquaint myself with this genre and I don't want to over-do it.
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:22 PM   #9
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Clive Barker's Books of Blood are an excellent set of horror anthologies too.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:51 PM   #10
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I liked the Pan Books of Horror Stories edited by Herbert van Thal.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:06 AM   #11
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Another good British anthology series was The Fontana Book of Great Ghost Stories. The first 8 books were edited by Robert Aickman.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:15 AM   #12
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
How about H.P.Lovecraft? Or Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu with his "Ghostly Tales" (also to be had here on MR).
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:52 AM   #13
rakulos
Connoisseur
rakulos began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, K3, acer aspire switch 10
Splatterpunks by Paul M Sammon - there's a second anthology that I never bought as the first is a bit ummm excessive for my tastes. It contains some very graphic and disturbing short stories - for me at least.
rakulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #14
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Thank you, I'll def check these out. I downloaded all of the ones in MR's library as well as a couple I've been thinking about

I'll let you know how I get on with them.

What does everyone think of the horror stories edited by Ellen Datlow or anything by Peter Haining?
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #15
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by emonti8384 View Post
What does everyone think of the horror stories edited by Ellen Datlow or anything by Peter Haining?
I generally enjoy Peter Haining's selections.
I used to collect everything by John Wyndham that I could get my hands on - Haining's anthology "The Unspeakable People" was the only source I found for Wyndham's 1935 horror story "The Cathedral Crypt".
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horror