Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-19-2018, 02:15 PM   #1
senhal
Connoisseur
senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle NT
Series suggestion

Hi, how do you manage Series when you've got a single book which contains more than one book of the same serie?

For example, numbering The Foundation serie by Isaac Asimov you'll have something like this:
Prelude to Foundation > The Foundation [0.01]
Forward the Foundation > The Foundation [0.02]
Foundation > The Foundation [1]
Foundation and Empire > The Foundation [2]
Second Foundation > The Foundation [3]
Foundation's Edge > The Foundation [4]
Foundation and Earth > The Foundation [5]

But in the case you've got a single book of the original trilogy:
Foundation Trilogy > The Foundation [???]

Actually I'm numbering [1.03], but I think it's not the right way, because it seems the third part of the first volume.
The right way, according to me, should be [1-3]

So, how do you number the serie in a case like this?

senhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:17 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I use a consistent notation plan: lowest.highest

1.03 = 1 thru 3
I interpret this as 03 means a a sequence of the base that is below 9

10.12 = 10 thru 12 note the fractional still reads as larger than the base

1.5 = a mid series (short) I avoid using .1 for these as it means 10 because you can't have the trailing 0. this does take attention as you need care for any break that should have a trailing 0

What is NOT covered accurately, is break step series numbers
eg 13, 15
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:48 AM   #3
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
A custom column solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by senhal View Post
Hi, how do you manage Series when you've got a single book which contains more than one book of the same serie?

For example, numbering The Foundation serie by Isaac Asimov you'll have something like this:
Foundation > The Foundation [1]
Foundation and Empire > The Foundation [2]
Second Foundation > The Foundation [3]

But in the case you've got a single book of the original trilogy:
Foundation Trilogy > The Foundation [???]

Actually I'm numbering [1.03], but I think it's not the right way, because it seems the third part of the first volume.
The right way, according to me, should be [1-3]

So, how do you number the serie in a case like this?

I used a variant of other solutions suggested but eventually decided I'd just go with two extra custom columns. I added a Yes/No checkbox column called Omnibus. First volume goes into series number box and then a second custom column called FinalVolume allows for the entry of the concluding volume listed. This does NOT obviate the problem with Misc. Omnibuses that are compiled differently than series, where the author might decide that he wants to put together ONE of the previews, the first and the seventh book because they star a secondary character. But for those, I check the omnibus, and just put which is first and which is last and then notate the situation in the comments. Nothing's going to fulfill all requirements without massive bending over backwards kludges. But I'm satisfied with what I've done.

Oh, and for short story collections, I tick the omnibus and leave the series and FinalVolume fields empty. I then colour the line using rules. Again, it works for me. AND if the SS Collection is actually part of a series ... i.e. Wildcards ... then I treat it as an omnibus series. It still gets coloured like a short story collection, but the colour is different because the two other fields are not empty. Hope I haven't OVER-COMPLICATED things. And, of course, there are saved searches that can do find the atomic level as needed.

Hope that helps.
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:06 AM   #4
senhal
Connoisseur
senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle NT
Thanks to you both!
senhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
Depending on my mood, I either cry or bang my head against my desk. Or both. Like I said: Mood dependent.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote