Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-26-2018, 10:01 AM   #1
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Custom fonts variations question

When using the new custom fonts feature, is there any point/advantage in having the Light/Condensed/Semibold/etc etc variants as well as the "main" set of Regular, Bold, Italic and BoldItalic?
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:58 AM   #2
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
When using the new custom fonts feature, is there any point/advantage in having the Light/Condensed/Semibold/etc etc variants as well as the "main" set of Regular, Bold, Italic and BoldItalic?
Yes, matching with the "main set" the advantasages are: you can use the Condensed and you get a wider range of thickness available (if you select a Light/Condensed/Semibold/Bold/Black as custom font)

Ps: I think in this point amazon outmatch the locked "advanced font control" over custom font of kobo
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:54 PM   #3
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post
Yes, matching with the "main set" the advantasages are: you can use the Condensed and you get a wider range of thickness available (if you select a Light/Condensed/Semibold/Bold/Black as custom font)

Ps: I think in this point amazon outmatch the locked "advanced font control" over custom font of kobo
That only works if the condensed and such variant has a different font family name. Arial Nova, for example, has condensed, semi-bold and light versions, but my Oasis2 only shows one (Arial Nova) as selectable. Some I seen show multiple to choose from. But I also experienced crashes when I had too many of some and not enough of others. Once I stuck to only putting fonts with exactly: Regular, Regular-Bold, Regular-Italic, Regular-BoldItalic I had no more crashes.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:12 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
That only works if the condensed and such variant has a different font family name. Arial Nova, for example, has condensed, semi-bold and light versions, but my Oasis2 only shows one (Arial Nova) as selectable. Some I seen show multiple to choose from. But I also experienced crashes when I had too many of some and not enough of others. Once I stuck to only putting fonts with exactly: Regular, Regular-Bold, Regular-Italic, Regular-BoldItalic I had no more crashes.
I've sometimes put semibold on my Kindles instead of regular (not in addition of). In cases where the regular font was too thin for my liking. And of course semibold italic instead of regular italic then too. No problems so far. But yes, I agree the best way is not to overburden your Kindle with heaps of different variants, but to stick to 3-4 only.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:08 AM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I've sometimes put semibold on my Kindles instead of regular (not in addition of). In cases where the regular font was too thin for my liking. And of course semibold italic instead of regular italic then too. No problems so far. But yes, I agree the best way is not to overburden your Kindle with heaps of different variants, but to stick to 3-4 only.
Thank you, will try that out sometime. For stability reasons sticking to the regular variants is probably overkill. But after fixing my crash problem (others had the same problem and what I did fixed it for them too) I was no longer in tinkering. Anymore there is exactly one custom font on my Oasis - CharInk, I believe the added weight version.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote