Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #106
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
Okay, no cover for the 950, but that's long standing (previously posted by me). No black cover for the 650 (previously posted by me). Other covers are available.
You are wrong all around. See my previous post, if you wish. Or provide links to those "available" covers.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #107
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
You are wrong on pretty much everything you state, and, there is no point continuing to rehash the same things over and over. Some people can't be reasoned with, even when said reasoning involves incontrovertible proof.
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #108
RajS
Enthusiast
RajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmos

Device: PRS-950
For the record I don't think all Sony readers are being discontinued either.
RajS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #109
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I just bought a Sony lighted cover at a Sony store, and asked one of the employees about the reader line. He told me that Sony will likely be releasing devices in the fall, and said that there are rumours about adding wi-fi to the pocket and touch editions. I cannot attest to the validity of any of the information given to me, but I thought that it would be nice to mention it here. For what it's worth, I really hope that Sony continues updating their reader line, even if they only carry it in the Sony stores.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #110
readergirl218
Enthusiast
readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 (white), Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-300,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
For what it's worth, I really hope that Sony continues updating their reader line, even if they only carry it in the Sony stores.
Ditto.
readergirl218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #111
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajS View Post
For the record I don't think all Sony readers are being discontinued either.

Nor do I, nor does anyone else who has posted to this thread, I don't think. If you read carefully, you will see that the speculation is that they are discontinuing their North American retail Distribution through channels OTHER than their own stores and website and in fact might be discontinuing ANY distribution in the US, given their inability to supply accessories for their readers.

They are CERTAINLY not discontinuing ANY of their Sony readers, as they do very well in other parts of the world.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #112
Japes
Addict

It's also possible that they are coming out with their next gen models sooner, rather than later, and, in an effort to get rid of everything they manufactured in this generation, they are tightening (or eliminating altogether) production on this gen.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #113
jswinden
Nameless Being

The poor guy is in major denial, not that I blame him, they are great readers.

I assume the profit margin for Sony readers sold in the USA are a lot less than those sold in other markets around the world. I base that on how much they cost in other countries as compared to what they cost here in the USA. It would make sense from a business perspective to drop the USA market and stick with more profitable markets.

Oh well, if in the USA you better buy them while you can just in case our fears about the USA market are correct.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #114
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am tempted to get a 950 if I can find one, as a back up reader.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #115
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I am tempted to get a 950 if I can find one, as a back up reader.

If you are willing to pay the price at the Sony store they have them in stock. Though I don't know about getting them in Canada????
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #116
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The poor guy is in major denial, not that I blame him, they are great readers.
I don't appreciate personal attacks. I have been civil, and generally expect the same.

What, specifically is "major denial" about my posts? If it's that readers are being discontinued, then yes, I am denying that.

However, I have willingly admitted where I was wrong. First with the PRS-950 cover. Second that Best Buy is stopping sales of readers, once that was cited by another poster. Yes, that sounds like someone in denial.

The PRS-950 is in stock at Sony.
The PRS-650 Red is in stock at Sony.
The PRS-350 is available at all 5 retailers I listed.
Many accessories are available at Sony, including the cable, the adapter, and various covers (though color limited).

I have made these specific statements to counter the claim that Sony is discontinuing the Reader. The above are all 100% true. I believe they illustrate that that Sony is not leaving the US market.

So, once again, please stop with the patronizing and ad hominen attacks. I have been courteous, and expect the same.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #117
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I Like my Sony PRS350, but. . .

I don't really care if they get out of the market or not. Whenever I buy a Sony product, it is with the assumption that it is the last model that they will ever produce. Mainly because, their track record for abandoning markets is REALLY consistent!

When it's time to put the 350 away, I'll buy something else that can handle ePub. eBooks (and ePub) are well established enough that we can be confident that SOMETHING will be out thare that will reasonably meet our needs.

So, do what you want, Sony, I could give a rip!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #118
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
If you are willing to pay the price at the Sony store they have them in stock. Though I don't know about getting them in Canada????
Thanks. I will think about what I'm going to do, perhaps I will hold off on anything until I take a trip to the U.S., I might be going soon.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #119
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
You are wrong all around. See my previous post, if you wish. Or provide links to those "available" covers.
What, specifically, am I wrong about. I stated the PRS-950 cover wasn't available, and hasn't been since January. Was I wrong about that.

All the Reader but one color are in stock.
All the listed covers are in stock but not all colors.
The Cable is in stock.
The Adapter is in stock.

The encompasses the whole line of Sony Reader items. You want links, you got 'em (barring errors in copy/paste)!

The Readers.

The PRS-350
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...roPocketReader
In Stock

The PRS-650
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...eroTouchReader
You must click "Red" to get an in-stock item.

The PRS-950
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...eroDailyReader
In Stock

The Adapter.

I already provided a link to the adapter, but here it is again:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...3&N=4294952783

The Accessories, direct links in order from the main page.

Reader Cover with Light (PRS-350)
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...ab=featuresTab
You must click "Blue" to get an in-stock item.

Reader Pocket Edition Premium Cover
It says "out of stock" on the main listing, but that's only the Blue one.
You must click "pink" to get an in-stock item.

Reader Touch/Pocket Zipper Case
In Stock for both colors

Reader Daily Edition Zipper Case
In Stock

As I said, the only other accessory is the cable. I didn't see it listed, but it was in stock two days ago when I checked.

At the risk of being called names again, I'll be clear: I think this makes it very, very obvious that Sony has a good stock of items, and shoots a huge hole in any speculation that they're discontinuing their Readers.

Denial? *Sigh*

-Pie

Last edited by EatingPie; 06-09-2011 at 06:29 PM.
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #120
Japes
Addict

LOL. Wow. Not sure if I've ever seen anything like this.