Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Overdrive - open ebooks - not returnable?

All the ebooks I've checked out on Overdrive in the past were Adobe ebooks, which can be returned early, so I've always just left my default checkout period as 14 days.

A couple days ago, I checked out a couple of books in the Open Epub format. It's the weekend, so I've finished reading both books. There does not appear to be any way to return these books. In the Sony Reader program on my PC, the Return option is grayed out; on the Sony reader itself Return is missing from the book menu.

On my Overdrive library account, the books show as counting toward my 4-book limit.

Am I stuck with these books, and therefore limited in how many other books I can check out, for the next 12 days?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
It appears that you cannot return them. See this post:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...24&postcount=2
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
Yes, you are stuck with these books until they expire. I checked one out and when I was unable to return it from either the Overdrive app or ADE, I found the documentation someplace that this is how the open epub works.
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
It appears that you cannot return them. See this post:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...24&postcount=2
Thanks. The books are in fact from Poisoned Pen Press, as in the post you referred me to. Wish there had been a warning when I selected the book that they could not be returned early. Also, I sure wish the NC library allowed more than 4 checkouts at a time.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I also was stuck with an Open Epub 4 books series for 21 days once, so I learned this the hard way as well. They could easily allow you to return Open Epub straight from the bookshelf.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Glad I found this out as I have just checked out my first one. If I do it again I will make sure it's for the shortest loan period.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
It's in a publisher's best interest not to allow early returns. Longer checkouts = fewer checkouts = longer wait lists = frustrated readers = "I can't wait forever, so I'll just buy it"
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #8
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It's in a publisher's best interest not to allow early returns. Longer checkouts = fewer checkouts = longer wait lists = frustrated readers = "I can't wait forever, so I'll just buy it"
Well, that won't work on me - once I finish the series that got me stuck, I'll probably just stick to Adobe epub library books in the future, since I can return those when I want.

I don't mind too much about the waiting list to get the books, but being unable to clear out the books I've read is a real pain, especially when the library allows only 4 checkouts.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Well, that won't work on me - once I finish the series that got me stuck, I'll probably just stick to Adobe epub library books in the future, since I can return those when I want.

I don't mind too much about the waiting list to get the books, but being unable to clear out the books I've read is a real pain, especially when the library allows only 4 checkouts.
It's a shame you're only allowed 4 checkouts at a time. Your library is too restrictive. Does your library have reciprocal borrowing agreements with other libraries in the area? Belonging to multiple libraries has many advantages.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It's a shame you're only allowed 4 checkouts at a time. Your library is too restrictive. Does your library have reciprocal borrowing agreements with other libraries in the area? Belonging to multiple libraries has many advantages.
It's a consortium of libraries across NC. They do have a good selection of books, but only 4 checkouts and only 5 holds.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #11
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
If you can choose a 7-day loan period for them, that would probably tie up your ability to borrow other books for the least amount of time.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
4691mls
Wizard

If I check out any open epub books in the future, I will see if it is possible to choose a shorter checkout period.

Unfortunately, at the time I checked these out, I did not know that they couldn't be returned early so they were checked out at my default checkout period of 14 days.

I wish Overdrive had some warning if you are checking out items that can't be returned early. I think I saw a topic like this about audiobooks on mobileread a while back.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:52 AM   #13
mobilelover
Enthusiast
mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilelover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
I am completely new to this so I can return an ebook after reading or a physical hardcover book we are talking about here.
mobilelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:13 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilelover View Post
I am completely new to this so I can return an ebook after reading or a physical hardcover book we are talking about here.
Some formats yes, some no.

OverDrive currently has 8 formats available:
  • Kindle Book
  • OverDrive Read
  • EPUB eBook
  • PDF eBook
  • Open EPUB eBook -- early returns not allowed
  • Open PDF eBook -- early returns not allowed
  • OverDrive MP3 Audiobook
  • OverDrive WMA Audiobook -- early returns not allowed
Borrowing and returning varies by device, OS, browser, software, and app being used. For example, OverDrive Media Console for Mac does not allow audiobook returns. So, things can get a bit complicated at times because of the variables involved.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #15
4691mls
Wizard

Does anybody know if it's possible to change the loan period for just a particular book you are checking out? Or is the only place to make a change in the default settings, which would affect all books I check out?