Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-30-2022, 08:20 PM   #1
Mojav
Mojav began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara2e, Nexus 7, Samsung S7 Tab, BN Nook Simple Touch
Exclamation Clara 2e storage upgrading

Anyone have any lingering issues with storage upgrade for a Clara 2e? I've been tweaking and modifying as I go along. On the original out of box, added Koboreader, Kobocloud and sideloaded some EPUBs. Love that Kobocloud that at restart grabs EPUBs from my Google 'watch' folder.

My next was to upgrade the storage for more PDFs, and EPUBs and to test MP3Z compacted audiobooks. So to start on upgrade storage, peeled back the cover, scrapped of the conforming coating... to remove the card. No damage there... tested a 32gb and then a 128gb card with the IMG i created.... uh oh.. some issues.

1. Used USB Image Tool (Window 11) to create IMG file
2. Used Mini Partition to expand MicroSD card

New card or image issues.
1. frequent reboots, was doing multiple reset setups and
1. USBMS mount seems not to work. Will charge but not 'Koboreader' mount any longer. Is there a USBMS fix for this. The usual USB fail steps do not work at all. Might require some OS tinkering.
2. Returned back to original card and the USBMS issue remains, no mount.
Anyone see these issues ? or do I need to go locate a factory original image of a Clara 2E ?
3. Seems to have lost the MicroSD 2gb partition that is seen in the Settings. This may be the core of the problem.

Any advice is appreciated. May get a 2nd Clara 2e to *leave* as stock with the 16gb.... (will add Koboreader and Kobocloud though) but will continue to tinker on the hacked Clara 2e with issues.

Mojav
Mojav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 02:58 PM   #2
Dirk-71
Zealot
Dirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolate

Device: Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One, Glo HD, Clara 2E
I think opening the reader results in damage of water resistance. I upgraded the memory of my Kobo Glo HD without any issues, but the Glo HD isn't waterproof. But for the Clara 2E I wouldn't recommend it.
Dirk-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2022, 04:51 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk-71 View Post
I think opening the reader results in damage of water resistance. I upgraded the memory of my Kobo Glo HD without any issues, but the Glo HD isn't waterproof. But for the Clara 2E I wouldn't recommend it.
Not quite right. The only Kobo where opening it could damage the water resistance was the original Kobo Aura H2O. All Kobo's water resistant models since rely a coating applied to the electronics (check HZO for more information) for their water resistance. For those models, you would have to open the cover and start scraping the coating off the electronics to damage the water resistance.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 06:04 PM   #4
Mojav

Exclamation

If it was not for the USBMS mounting, I'd be just fine with my kluge at upgrading the SDCARD. Tested on 32gb and 128gb but the result from my saved Clara 2E image (used USB Image tool) had 1) usbms no mount on PC (did cables, pc swap, device manager peek, everything i could think of 2) oddly no device information > MicroSD in settings any longer.

its missing the 2gb MicroUSB in that panel.

I'm probably at the stage where I'm thinking my IMG file created may not be as good as i think it might be.
Old 12-02-2022, 06:18 PM   #5
Mojav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojav View Post
Anyone have any lingering issues with storage upgrade for a Clara 2e? I've been tweaking and modifying as I go along. On the original out of box, added Koboreader, Kobocloud and sideloaded some EPUBs. Love that Kobocloud that at restart grabs EPUBs from my Google 'watch' folder.

My next was to upgrade the storage for more PDFs, and EPUBs and to test MP3Z compacted audiobooks. So to start on upgrade storage, peeled back the cover, scrapped of the conforming coating... to remove the card. No damage there... tested a 32gb and then a 128gb card with the IMG i created.... uh oh.. some issues.

1. USBMS mount seems not to work. Will charge but not 'Koboreader' mount any longer. Is there a USBMS fix for this. The usual USB fail steps do not work at all. Might require some OS tinkering.
Anyone see these issues ? or do I need to go locate a factory original image of a Clara 2E ?
3. Seems to have lost the MicroSD 2gb partition that is seen in the Settings. This may be the core of the problem.

Any advice is appreciated. May get a 2nd Clara 2e to *leave* as stock with the 16gb.... (will add Koboreader and Kobocloud though) but will continue to tinker on the hacked Clara 2e with issues.

Mojav
Here is a snap of my device info.
https://imgur.com/a/wJenw0i
Advert
Old 12-03-2022, 02:54 AM   #6
Dirk-71
Zealot
Dirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolate

Device: Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One, Glo HD, Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not quite right. The only Kobo where opening it could damage the water resistance was the original Kobo Aura H2O. All Kobo's water resistant models since rely a coating applied to the electronics (check HZO for more information) for their water resistance. For those models, you would have to open the cover and start scraping the coating off the electronics to damage the water resistance.
Ok, thank you for clarification.
Dirk-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 01:20 AM   #7
Mojav

Quote:
Here is a snap of my device info.
https://imgur.com/a/wJenw0i
Update:

I got a second Clara 2e.

I’m keeping this stock without opening with us to upgrade memory.

I would like to go back to the other E reader, and find out why the micro USB does not show in settings. It may be the Boot image I’m not sure.

See my screenshot for my missing microSD 2gb.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:48 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Update:

I got a second Clara 2e.

I’m keeping this stock without opening with us to upgrade memory.

I would like to go back to the other E reader, and find out why the micro USB does not show in settings. It may be the Boot image I’m not sure.

See my screenshot for my missing microSD 2gb.
It's not missing. The firmware takes some space.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 03:05 PM   #9
pastapojken
pastapojken began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2e
Quote:

Mojav
Would you mind sharing your image?
pastapojken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 03:24 PM   #10
pastapojken

Would you mind sharing the image?
Old 01-22-2023, 12:33 PM   #11
fritolays
fritolays began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Graphite DX, Kobo Clara 2E
https://dailyuploads.net/59svvlqwylyh

I've shrunk the storage partition as much as possible to reduce the upload/download size.
You will need to expand the KOBOeReader partition to the size of your sd card.

Last edited by fritolays; 01-22-2023 at 12:35 PM.
fritolays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:55 PM   #12
pastapojken

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritolays View Post

I've shrunk the storage partition as much as possible to reduce the upload/download size.
Thank you, you are a life saver!
Old 01-22-2023, 02:06 PM   #13
pastapojken

Quote:

I spoke too soon, nothing happens on screen and there's a new white flashing light.

At least it's progress?
Old 01-22-2023, 02:11 PM   #14
fritolays
fritolays began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Graphite DX, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastapojken View Post
I spoke too soon, nothing happens on screen and there's a new white flashing light.

At least it's progress?
Describe the process you used to write this image to a sd card.
fritolays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 02:21 PM   #15
pastapojken

Quote:
Describe the process you used to write this image to a sd card.
I tried a bunch of different ones. I first tried in Linux using ddrescue, using gparted to resize the FAT32 partition. When that didn't work then I rebooted to windows and tried following your instructions to the letter, with your software, same result. I tried with a 32GB samsung and an old 4GB i had lying around (unfortunately the only 2 sd cards I have on hand).
Resizing the storage partition didn't seem to affect anything.

I noticed the image has empty space at the beginning, is that normal?

Tags
clara2e, microsd, storage, upgrade, usbms