Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-11-2022, 02:05 PM   #1
Jonathann
Jonathann began at the beginning.

Device: apple
MacOS Quick Look feature and ebooks

Does anyone know of any updated Mac plugins to enable the finder quick look feature for epubs or mobi files?

I have not been able to get either epub-quicklook (last updated in 2016) or QLMobi (also last updated in 2016) to work in BigSur.

Thanks for any help.
Jonathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 04:41 PM   #2
Damieni
Damieni began at the beginning.

Device: ebook
Running Monterey 12.1. I can right click on an epub or mobi file and select quick look. All I get is the cover of the book.
Damieni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 08:11 AM   #3
mariosipad
Guru
mariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watch

Device: iPad & iPhone with Marvin 2 + 3 & Kobo Glo HD
Yes, we are in need of a quicklook plugin for pub's and mobi's.

Haven't found one since years.

Epubreader plugin for firefox/chromium works in a browser but it's not quicklook.
mariosipad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 02:22 AM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Epub-quicklook plugin source seems to be here:

https://github.com/jaketmp/ePub-quicklook

Quote:
Not working in Mojave and later!
and last updated 3 Mar 2016 (probably to add the above comment)

Developer guide is here:

https://developer.apple.com/library/...roduction.html

How hard can it be to update it? Just a few lines of code oughta do the trick.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-12-2022 at 02:35 AM.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 12:54 PM   #5
steveparry
Connoisseur
steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There is another plugin which I tried in Ventura but all I see is an image of the cover - no proper scrolling preview of the contents: https://github.com/GenjiApp/EPUB-Plugins
steveparry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 11:24 AM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveparry View Post
There is another plugin which I tried in Ventura but all I see is an image of the cover - no proper scrolling preview of the contents: https://github.com/GenjiApp/EPUB-Plugins
Interesting. I'll try it when I have a chance, I see you have left a comment, so hopefully developer will check in at some point. At least this plugin has more active recent history.
Old 01-06-2023, 09:06 AM   #7
steveparry
Connoisseur
steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried the Genji one above and it did work briefly. I could see a scrolling view of the entire contents of my epubs. But subsequently all I see are cover images.
Old 01-06-2023, 05:36 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveparry View Post
I tried the Genji one above and it did work briefly. I could see a scrolling view of the entire contents of my epubs. But subsequently all I see are cover images.
Oh, just restart your Mac between each Quick Look, obviously.

Wonder if there's a process you can kill to reset it.

In any case sounds like it needs a tweak.
Old 01-13-2023, 10:41 AM   #9
steveparry
Connoisseur

Fixed! I sent a report from Terminal and the developer identified the issue. It was because I had the plugin from the Mac OS Bookreader application installed. After binning that most epubs and kepubs display the full scrolling text in Quicklook. See: https://github.com/GenjiApp/EPUB-Plugins
Old 01-15-2023, 01:38 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks! I finally got around to installing it. Nice to have!
Old 01-20-2023, 08:43 AM   #11
steveparry
Connoisseur

There is still an issue with displaying cover images on some epubs/kepubs. The developer is looking into it.
Old 01-20-2023, 01:08 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

This is something Apple should just have in macOS. It's been a standard format for some time.

We're fortunate there is someone willing to fill the gap.

More generally, there should be more use of ePub over PDF for documentation, user guides and that sort of thing. PDFs do not have a true provision for a functional Table of Contents (pages with links to other pages doesn't count, nor do bookmarks). And of course the fact that they don't reflow makes them far less accessible.

So Print to ePub should be an OS feature as well, or at least a Safari feature. I don't know if there are any Safari extensions exporting ePub (or even reading ePub in Safari). App Store doesn't seem to have any.

Last edited by tomsem; 01-20-2023 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-01-2024, 09:24 AM   #13
steveparry
Connoisseur

Is there a Quicklook plugin to enable viewing Kepub files?
Old 02-01-2024, 10:27 AM   #14
mariosipad
Guru
mariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watch

Device: iPad & iPhone with Marvin 2 + 3 & Kobo Glo HD
@steveparry

The software you wrote about last year does not work or does no longer work? Or still does not work?

https://github.com/GenjiApp/EPUB-Plugins
mariosipad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 10:00 AM   #15
steveparry
Connoisseur

It still works but not for Kepubs... I tried to update it to the latest version but now I updated to Sonoma 14.2.1 I no longer see /Library/QuickLook in the Finder. I posted a query on Github page just now.