Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-02-2009, 10:22 AM   #16
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
Hmmm , obviously a market there. Makes you wonder why that genre is in such high demand now. Maybe something the guys aren't doing ???
Actually, I think this is something we can blame e-readers for. You can read them and noone would be the wiser.

As MoeJoe said, if you sit on the train with a book with a cover with a leatherclad girl holding a knife yadda yadda yadda you might feel embarrased. But if you have it on your reader now
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:22 AM   #17
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Awww... come on MoeJoe... tell us how you REALLY feel about erotic supernatural novels
See, the Supernatural used to be fodder for horror novels. You had the sickening psycho sexual tales of Richard Laymon (who wrote like the inside of a fifteen year old boy's head). You had the body horror of Barker. The small-town horror of King. The in your face mojo of Robert R. Lansdale. And now what do you get?

I'll tell you what you get, you get Buffy and Angel fanfiction with the names changed to protect the fictionally irresponsible. You get detectives who don't detect any longer, but cast spells. And on top of all that you're guaranteed werewolf orgies, vampire love-ins and rumpy-pumpy with the undead.

You know who I blame? Joss Whedon. That's who. It's his fault. He de-fanged the vampire, shaved the werewolf and took all the warts off the witches noses.

*grumble* *grumble* *not like it was in my day*
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 10:24 AM   #18
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
See, the Supernatural used to be fodder for horror novels. You had the sickening psycho sexual tales of Richard Laymon (who wrote like the inside of a fifteen year old boy's head). You had the body horror of Barker. The small-town horror of King. The in your face mojo of Robert R. Lansdale. And now what do you get?

I'll tell you what you get, you get Buffy and Angel fanfiction with the names changed to protect the fictionally irresponsible. You get detectives who don't detect any longer, but cast spells. And on top of all that you're guaranteed werewolf orgies, vampire love-ins and rumpy-pumpy with the undead.

You know who I blame? Joss Whedon. That's who. It's his fault. He de-fanged the vampire, shaved the werewolf and took all the warts off the witches noses.

Actually, I blame Anne Rice who made vampires "sexy", she sparked of the whole thing!
Old 12-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #19
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Actually, I blame Anne Rice who made vampires "sexy", she sparked of the whole thing!

Oh yeah, forgot about her! Well at least we have John Ajvide Lindqvist.(Best horror writer I've read in 20 years)
Old 12-02-2009, 10:28 AM   #20
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Actually, I think this is something we can blame e-readers for. You can read them and noone would be the wiser.

As MoeJoe said, if you sit on the train with a book with a cover with a leatherclad girl holding a knife yadda yadda yadda you might feel embarrased. But if you have it on your reader now
That was actually something I experience in Russia: Couldn't read the titles - but the covers ... uuuh lala. And they were read by heaps of guys & gals.

And sometimes quite obviously enjoyed too
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #21
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Quote:
Oh yeah, forgot about her! Well at least we have John Ajvide Lindqvist.(Best horror writer I've read in 20 years)
Ah, yes, I truly enjoyed his last book... Which I don't think has been translated to english yet. In swedish it's called "Människohamn"
Old 12-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #22
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Surely vampires have been sexy all the way back to Carmilla.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #23
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Ah, yes, I truly enjoyed his last book... Which I don't think has been translated to english yet. In swedish it's called "Människohamn"
I still haven't read (don't even know if there's a copy available yet) Hanteringen av odöda "Handling the Undead". I'll have to check on that right away.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #24
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Quote:
I still haven't read (don't even know if there's a copy available yet) Hanteringen av odöda "Handling the Undead". I'll have to check on that right away.
There should be, it was released in paperback in July. Btw, I checked his webpage and his next book will be relased in May 2010

"Little Star is a story of two girls.
Lilla Stjärna är berättelsen om två flickor.

During a forest-outing the popular singer Lennart discovers an infant buried in a plasticbag. He saves the girls life and her first cries makes him speechless. From the tiny body rises a series of perfectly pitched notes. He brings the girl home and hides her in his basement. Her innosence and musicality will give meaning to his life.

She is the girl with the golden hair.

Att the same time another girl is born in a town in the middle of sweden. Her life isn't a happy one. She thinks she is grey and plain with few talents and even fewer friends. She finds comfort in mean pranks and trolling internetforums.

She is the other girl.

Eventually the path of the two girls crosses. A fierce friendship is formed, with devastating consequences for anyone who comes to close to it.

Little Star is a story of love and obsession, about a voice from another world and idolizing in the extreme. How far are you willing to go for someone you admire more than anything.

In Little Star John Ajvide Lindqvist once again brings horror into the ordinary and contemporary Sweden. Young people in a world of distant grownup defends themselves by any means available, including power tools if necessary. This is his darkest book today and sensitive readers should be warned."

(The synopsis is translated from Swedish by me)
Old 12-02-2009, 10:58 AM   #25
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
There should be, it was released in paperback in July. Btw, I checked his webpage and his next book will be relased in May 2010

"Little Star is a story of two girls.
Lilla Stjärna är berättelsen om två flickor.

During a forest-outing the popular singer Lennart discovers an infant buried in a plasticbag. He saves the girls life and her first cries makes him speechless. From the tiny body rises a series of perfectly pitched notes. He brings the girl home and hides her in his basement. Her innosence and musicality will give meaning to his life.

She is the girl with the golden hair.

Att the same time another girl is born in a town in the middle of sweden. Her life isn't a happy one. She thinks she is grey and plain with few talents and even fewer friends. She finds comfort in mean pranks and trolling internetforums.

She is the other girl.

Eventually the path of the two girls crosses. A fierce friendship is formed, with devastating consequences for anyone who comes to close to it.

Little Star is a story of love and obsession, about a voice from another world and idolizing in the extreme. How far are you willing to go for someone you admire more than anything.

In Little Star John Ajvide Lindqvist once again brings horror into the ordinary and contemporary Sweden. Young people in a world of distant grownup defends themselves by any means available, including power tools if necessary. This is his darkest book today and sensitive readers should be warned."

(The synopsis is translated from Swedish by me)
Now I have to emigrate to Sweden! (but I'll never forgive you for ABBA, not ever!) Thanks for the translation.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #26
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Ficbot, that is one of the joys of E-books. So much good Public Domain stuff. Not really available in other medias....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #27
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:

You can have good fantasy and mystery combined but it's rare. Read the Lord Darcy stories by Randall Garrett.....(available at Baen for 6? (5?) bucks - your choice of non-DRM formats.)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote