Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-03-2012, 07:16 AM   #1
Nalapombu
Nalapombu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle FIRE
Why Do You Have to Convert Some Books 2 Times With the Kindle??

Hey all,

First off, I really like Calibre. It's a very useful program, especially when you have a tablet that you are going to use as a book reader.

I also LOVE my Kindle Fire.

OK, the file format that the Fire uses is MOBI. Right after getting my Fire and installing Calibre I was trying to load some books given to my by a buddy onto my Fire. I converted them to MOBI format first and then removed the original format that they were in, which was probably EPUB. Then I have Calibre send them to my Fire so I can get right to reading them. Well when I unhooked everything and went to check out my books, they weren't there. They were NOT in the BOOKS section, they were in the DOCUMENT section. Sure I could still read them, but I wanted them to be in the same place as my other books I had on there that I had purchased from Amazon. I thought I had done something wrong and went all through the process again even to the point of removing the book from Calibre and adding it again and converting it again. I done this 3 or 4 times and each time they would show up in the DOCUMENTS section on my FIRE. This was getting aggravating.

So I found this forum and asked about what might be going wrong. One suggestion told me to check the Dialog box next to Personal Document and make sure that NOTHING was there, it wasn't. Then I had the suggestion to go back to the MOBI file that was there and covert it to MOBI again and then try to put it on my Fire. Well I did it. After re-converting it to MOBI the box on the right side that gives you the summary of the book said that the formats for this book was MOBI and ORIGINAL MOBI. Looked strange to me, but oh well. This time when I had Calibre transfer it to my Fire everything was great. The double converted books I was trying to load now were fine. They were right there with the other books in the BOOK section.

I tell all this because it happened again the other day when I was loading 7 or 8 more books onto my Fire. All the books are in MOBI format only. I selected the ones I wanted on my Fire and had Calibre do the job. When I disconnected and checked them only 5 of them were in the their proper place, in the BOOKS section with my other books. The other 3 were in the DOCUMENTS section. I removed those 3 using that feature in Calibre. Then I done as before and had Calibre convert them again to MOBI format. Once again they had both formats, MOBI and ORIGINAL MOBI. When I had Calibre load those 3 onto my Fire they showed up just fine along with all the other books.

Can someone tell me why this happens? Why does it happen to some books and not others? Is there something I can check to see before I try and transfer them to my Fire to make sure they will come out in the right place and that I won't have to go back and convert them again to Original MOBI and reload them to my Fire?

Or would it be a better idea to just go ahead and do a BULK CONVERT with all my MOBI files to MOBI and let each of them have both MOBI and ORIGINAL MOBI formats???

Any ideas or explanations?

Thanks for the help and for Calibre....a great program.

Sorry for the LONG WINDED explanation and question.

Nalajr
Nalapombu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please ask Calibre questions in the Calibre forum. I'm moving your post there.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Amazon sells books
Anything bought there and sent directly to your Kindle is a 'book'

Anything else (or side loaded) is a Personal document.

(Nobody else sells 'books', Right! You bought a Kindle, You have been assimilated )

Calibre has a Kindle setting to override this 'assumption' in Preferences: Output Options: Mobi Output:

[EBOK] (was [PDOC] )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The "ORIGINAL_MOBI" (or, indeed, "ORIGINAL_X") appears when you do an "in place" conversion from Mobi to Mobi (or from any format X to the same format X). It's simply the document you started out with, and allows you to repeat the conversion in case it doesn't work as you expected.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote