Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-21-2023, 07:00 PM   #1
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Mobileread titles to be cleaned up

I am requesting a "want list" of Mobileread e-book titles that you would like to see "cleaned up" for OCR typos. This is not new titles, but those already existing.

Horror is not my bag. . .
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 09:17 AM   #2
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Oooh, thanks. My vote is anything by Rafael Sabatini.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2023, 02:02 PM   #3
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Any particular title, or should I start with Captain Blood?
Old 05-22-2023, 08:48 PM   #4
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Anos View Post
Any particular title, or should I start with Captain Blood?
Captain Blood would be great. Thank you!
Old 05-22-2023, 09:21 PM   #5
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It would help if you provide links to the ebooks that need cleaning up, instead of just naming titles. Authors and a plot description will be helpful.

I am happy to work on novels that interest me enough for me to read, but I won't go to the effort of hunting for them.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2023, 01:10 AM   #6
icallaci
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
It would help if you provide links to the ebooks that need cleaning up, instead of just naming titles. Authors and a plot description will be helpful.
Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini. Synopsis from Amazon:

During the tumultuous reign of James II, Englishman Peter Blood, a gentleman-physician barely escapes the gallows after his arrest for treating a wounded rebel. Sentenced to ten years of slavery on a Barbados plantation, Blood escapes from captivity and boldly embarks on a career as a pirate, never losing sight of his goals of clearing his name and returning to England.
A rollicking tale of piracy on a grand scale, accented with breathtaking maritime maneuvers, near misses, and broadside hits, Sabatini’s fast-paced novel is alive with color, romance, and excitement. A swashbuckling classic that brims with stolen treasure and adventure on the high seas, Captain Blood quickly became a best-seller soon after it was first published in 1922.
Old 05-23-2023, 07:23 AM   #7
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
"Captain Blood" is already available here. I haven't examined it to see whether it has many typos. It might be perfectly fine.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 08:50 AM   #8
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Shrug. If it's clean, so what. I'll have a good read. My reasoning is, rather than grabbing an e-book that nobody may download, I can concentrate on titles that are clearly wanted, by somebody.

I'm currently working on Emile C. Tepperman.

It's all Pro Bono Publico, as I get to it.

Note: I cleaned up the Robert E. Howard Omnibus here, to the limit I could without having the paper copy in hand, but I didn't do the individual titles used to make it up. Somebody else can use the source of the omnibus to rebuild those titles.

Last edited by Greg Anos; 05-23-2023 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-23-2023, 08:58 AM   #9
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post

I am happy to work on novels that interest me enough for me to read, but I won't go to the effort of hunting for them.
You could check by uploader. HarryT's books are usually impeccable. Crutledge's are whatever was available to build with, and often need work, but his taste was early 20th century pulp, which may not be a common taste. With 11,000+ e-books in the site, I'll never proof more that a few hundred, at most. (A book a week for 10 years is around 500 e-book. I'm a geezer in retirement.)
Old 05-23-2023, 11:15 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Patricia's books were superb, and our Library is named after her.

My titles probably need to be updated. No permission whatsoever is needed in my case. (In fact, you cleaned up my Robert E. Howard title and, as I mentioned in that post, it looks great! Thank you, again.)

SUGGESTION: It would be helpful for those individuals listing titles to mention what (in their opinion) needs to be cleaned up.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 01:22 PM   #11
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

GrannyGrump's are usually superb. (Pardon, I haven't read all of them. Every one i have read has been superlative.)
Old 05-24-2023, 09:38 AM   #12
Dsharma
Enthusiast
Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
"Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen: This classic is always a popular choice, and I've noticed a few OCR errors in the current version.

"The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald: Again, an enduring favorite, and the current version could use some tidying up.
Dsharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 11:36 AM   #13
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsharma View Post
"Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen: This classic is always a popular choice, and I've noticed a few OCR errors in the current version.

"The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald: Again, an enduring favorite, and the current version could use some tidying up.
Both are available in excellently proofed version on Project Gutenberg US. I recommend reader to download on of those versions.