Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-11-2021, 12:40 PM   #1
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Question Help! Switching from Glo to Android tablet, which reading app to use?

Hi! Apologies if this has been covered, there are so many threads and posts that I'm lost.

I'm switching from my dying Kobo Glo to a new Samsung A7 tablet, but I can't figure out what the best reader app for my needs would be. I want to be able to read the book details (the summary of the book I made in Calibre's comments section) and add the same book to different collections (ie, author "Agatha Christie" and genre "Mystery"). Calibre Companion won't work thru usb connection, I'm not that keen on relying on Wifi to connect as mine is not always stable.

Again apologies if I sound like a fool or a 95 year old grandma, I'm just really overwhelmed with the choices.

Thank so much for any help you can give me!
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 08:26 PM   #2
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
I know two good ones- FBReader and Moon+ Reader.
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:40 PM   #3
VirgoGirl
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcatalex View Post
I know two good ones- FBReader and Moon+ Reader.
I downloaded a couple of reader apps today - my tablet arrived a few days earlier than expected - and so far Moonreader Free version is the only one I saw that will show me book details such as the summary. Readera won't show me a book summary - that I can find.

Question for those that have Moonreader + Pro (I'm planning on buying it)- Can I add collections, or do I have to rely only on tags? Re-tagging in calibre is not an issue, I just wondered if there was a way I could manually add books to collections instead of relying on tags.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:19 PM   #4
graatch
Enthusiast
graatch began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, iPad 2 (Bluefire Reader); fire hd 10, Windows
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post
I downloaded a couple of reader apps today - my tablet arrived a few days earlier than expected - and so far Moonreader Free version is the only one I saw that will show me book details such as the summary. Readera won't show me a book summary - that I can find.

Question for those that have Moonreader + Pro (I'm planning on buying it)- Can I add collections, or do I have to rely only on tags? Re-tagging in calibre is not an issue, I just wondered if there was a way I could manually add books to collections instead of relying on tags.
You can yeah, they're called Favorites. You long-press on a book on the shelf (you can also do this from the file browser the next page over) and then tap the starred iron in the top right. (Not in image since I don't have anything selected, but that's what browsing the collections looks like.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	collections in moonreaderpro.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	189221  
graatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:02 AM   #5
VirgoGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by graatch View Post
You can yeah, they're called Favorites. You long-press on a book on the shelf (you can also do this from the file browser the next page over) and then tap the starred iron in the top right. (Not in image since I don't have anything selected, but that's what browsing the collections looks like.)
Thanks! I saw that in the free version, but I wasn't sure if I can create multiple selections under Favorites, all I have in the free is "default". I'd like to add stuff like "Trope ~ Country House murder" or "Author ~ Dorothy L Sayers". I know there's an author screen (YAY!), but with 4,000 plus books I like to make collections of authors I read frequently or plan to read.

Apologies for asking for help, I couldn't find a help file in the app itself.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:47 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Lithium IMO is far better than Moonreader, which seems to too easily ignore Publisher formatting. If you really want to over-ride book settings either edit it in Calibre or install the KOReader APK from their site. Most Android devices have a setting to allow APKs from outside the Playstore.

I use Lithium on my 10" & 6" Android, Aldiko Basic on my 4.3" Android (it's Android 6.x) and KOReader on my eink based Android, Boyue Likebook Mars.

I tried dozens of Android reading apps. Most are rubbish, some can't even use embedded publisher fonts.
Belinda Borrowbox is horrible, but it's the only app that works direct with my County Library. I have Kindle, Kobo and Google Playbooks apps on Android mostly for testing. I use Aldiko Basic, Lithium or KOReader depending which gadget it is.
I use Xodo on 10" tablet for PDFs and the stock PDF reader on the 7.8" Boyue Likebook Mars.

I read the vast majority of ebooks in epub on a Kobo Libra, including Amazon Kindle titles I buy.

You don't need to put Authors in collections as any sensible reader can filter by Title or Author. Collections are only needed to group things you want together that are not the same author. Not all apps support Collections. KOReader can use the metadata file that Calibre creates.

None of the Android apps are as good at "library" features or annotation as the native Kobo ereader program built into their eink models.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote