Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-10-2019, 07:50 AM   #46
User_Z
Enthusiast
User_Z began at the beginning.

Device: none
Diapdealer

Can you replace and add two localization files in your source code on version 0.9.14 on Github?
These are the sigil_ru.ts and sigil_uk_UA.ts files. They are now in the Transifex translation system. After the release of 0.9.18, I fixed some errors and inaccuracies in them, so these are the most complete and accurate versions.
If this happens, Haiku will rebuild the Sigil package and these languages ​​will be included in the release.

Regarding plugins: I never installed or used them. It was simply not necessary; everything was enough without them. Therefore, I can’t say anything yet. Maybe something will come to light later.
User_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:12 AM   #47
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
FWIW, the current base.ts file for the latest Sigil was changed when bookview was removed. So translations done based on the current base.ts file will not cover Sigil 0.9.14fully. You would have to use Qt Linguist or some other software to 100% translate the base.ts file that is tagged by 0.9.14. Even then we can not add new files to that old tag without impacting the current tree in the repo (I think).

Perhaps, it would be better for someone to fork the Sigil webkit branch into a new repo and work from there?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:28 AM   #48
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by User_Z View Post
DiapdealerRegarding plugins: I never installed or used them. It was simply not necessary; everything was enough without them. Therefore, I can’t say anything yet. Maybe something will come to light later.
The note about patching for the preferences setting has nothing to do with plugins. Understood if you want to leave plugins for later (though I think that's a mistake in an "official" HaikuPorts package), but this has to do with basic functionality. If the preferences aren't working ... Sigil's not working. Period. That needs to be verified first (and quick).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:37 AM   #49
User_Z
Enthusiast

Diapdealer

Now all I need and what I'm used to is working.

If you mean *.ini files, they are saved in the /boot/home/config/cache/sigil-ebook/sigil folder.

Make a flash drive with Haiku, which will always be with you, and check. This is a matter of 10 minutes.
(https://vk.com/haiku_os?w=wall-115218353_294%2Fall)
Old 10-10-2019, 11:08 AM   #50
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you mean *.ini files, they are saved in the /boot/home/config/cache/sigil-ebook/sigil folder.
I don't see how that's possible based on the haikuports patchset I'm seeing for Sigil (unless a new fixed version of Qt5 was released on haikuports since I last built Sigil), but if it's working for you, then that's good, I guess.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:26 PM   #51
BeckyEbook
Groupie
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (Key3, PW2, PW3), Nook (ST, GLP), Kobo Touch, Tolino Vision 2
I confirm – preferences are saved, but no plugin works. Test plugin too.
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:44 PM   #52
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
I confirm – preferences are saved, but no plugin works. Test plugin too.
That was my fear. Thanks for checking.

EDIT: though nothing that uses tkinter was ever going to work anyway. I expected that much. That cuts out a lot of plugins right there. Does the test plugin fail completely, or do most tests just fail? I had plugins working in general on my build, so I know it's possible (minus tkinter). So it bugs me that a needlessly crippled version of sigil has been rushed to being packaged by a software repo. Even if it is an older QtWebKit version.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-10-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:17 PM   #53
BeckyEbook
Groupie
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Error "Plugin failed to start".
Any plugin, even
print("Hello world!")
Old 10-11-2019, 02:36 AM   #54
User_Z
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
So it bugs me that a needlessly crippled version of sigil has been rushed to being packaged by a software repo. Even if it is an older QtWebKit version.
In this I do not agree with you. The version is working and performs its main functions. Without any plugins.

The plugins forum clearly shows that plugins still have problems and errors. Why do I need this?
Let me remind you that you yourself write about plugins:
Quote:
Plugins are developed and provided by third parties. ... We cannot be held responsible for what a third party plugin that you the user actively installed and ran.

Also, realize that Plugins are separate from Sigil and have their own authors. They aren’t part of Sigil. If you have an issue with a plugin you’ll need to take that up with the person(s) who made the plugin.

Again, we at Sigil have no control over plugins and what they actually do.
After that, what are we talking about? In your place, I would use plugins as a source of ideas for further development of editor functionality. If you implement everything that they do in Sigil itself, they will automatically become useless and unnecessary. Then maybe Python would be unnecessary, pure Qt would remain. Fewer compatibility and portability issues.

This whole situation reminds me of a story with BookView. You have decided to remove this mode from the editor, and if you don’t like it, tell everyone who is not happy, work on the old version. I also did not like it, but I reconciled with reality. I have been using Sigil for quite some time. The main mode of operation of CodeView and only occasionally to evaluate the result I use the viewing mode. Formerly BookView, now F10. I consider PageEdit a useless tool, a waste of your time and energy.

Sigil is a great editor in its purest form.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:24 AM   #55
BeckyEbook
Groupie

I agree that Sigil is a great editor in a pure form.
But I absolutely disagree that no plugins are needed.
In fact, if I couldn't use the plugins, I could probably uninstall Sigil.
Plugins are a key element of Sigil.
It is impossible to implement functions from plugins into the program itself, because sometimes plugins do the same thing completely different and it would only be a waste of time resources of Sigil developers.
The relatively easy entry threshold to write your own plugin can encourage you to prepare an individual solution to your problems without bothering programmers.

The plugins ensure that Sigil can gain new functions and this makes the entire application more open and flexible to users' ideas.

Sigil remains as the "core editor", but plugins still give birth to new, interesting "branches". And that's just beautiful.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:19 AM   #56
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
In this I do not agree with you. The version is working and performs its main functions. Without any plugins.

The plugins forum clearly shows that plugins still have problems and errors. Why do I need this?
You may not need this. Unfortunately, the HaikuPorts repository is not just for you. It's for everybody. And now the community is likely stuck with a version of Sigil that is missing one of it its more popular and useful features: the ability to extend its capabilities yourself.

Quote:
Then maybe Python would be unnecessary, pure Qt would remain. Fewer compatibility and portability issues.
Sorry. You're mistaken. The need for python is not solely based on supporting plugins. Sigil itself requires embedded python to function. Removing plugins would not remove the need for python.

But I'm done here. You clearly got what you wanted. I can only hope someone comes along who's interested in actually finishing the job that was started.

Plugin support for Sigil can be enabled on Haiku with the most trivial of efforts. I did it with about 10 minutes of work on an OS I knew absolutely nothing about. So there's simply no reason whatsoever for the repo version not to include that feature as well.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-11-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:53 AM   #57
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I couldn't agree more. The plugins are key to extending Sigil to automate tasks, add features quickly, etc. Please fix your package/port to support the plugins. They are an integral part of Sigil. Having a "broken" version in the Haiku package system and calling it a "port" is simply not right.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:03 AM   #58
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

HaikuPorts is hosted on github, so maybe some day when I get some time, I might be able to submit a pull request that fixes what the Haiku reorg broke. More than likely, it's the willy-nilly relocation of folders/libs that broke the plugin functionality in the first place. I believe they're also eliminating the launch script (which would enable them to set the proper env vars to allow the relocation to still work for all of Sigil's various pieces).

https://github.com/haikuports/haikup...app-text/sigil

All the pieces and modules necessary for plugin functionality to work have been listed as dependencies, so it would be quite silly not to just go ahead and make it work.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-11-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:11 AM   #59
KevinH
Wizard

And if need be we can upstream any required changes under a OS_HAIKU conditional in the code so it will build out of the box so to speak.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #60
User_Z
Enthusiast

1. I am a regular Sigil user. Not a programmer. Therefore, I turned to you for help in the first post, but you only wished me good luck. I had to turn to another person who knows Haiku, but does not know Sigil. And pretty quickly we got the first work package.

2. Version 0.9.14 is no longer being developed by you. You said stop, you redid everything and the next version can be considered a completely different program.

3. Sigil is licensed under the GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE Version 3.

4. On the editor’s website, in the plugins section, you state that "They aren’t part of Sigil." It follows that Sigil without plug-ins is an independent fully-functional software product.

5. DiapDealer, instead of writing that you, without knowing Haiku, fixed plug-in problems in 10 minutes, it would be better to write how to do it. Just already edited your post.

6. The most important thing is that the work is not finished yet. All programs, libraries, other components, even the Haiku operating system itself, are under development. This makes the final result uncertain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
And if need be we can upstream any required changes under a OS_HAIKU conditional in the code so it will build out of the box so to speak.
This is a good idea. Not for everyone. The package in the repository is for everyone. Compile it yourself for enthusiasts. I already went through this.