Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-07-2019, 03:01 AM   #391
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle voyage
Now is the time to choose October's topic!

All ideas are appreciated; just post! We're very flexible with our monthly topic; it can be a topic, theme, category or whatever else. This can also be collaborative so any little kernel of an idea is great.

Though the posts are just right above, I'll mention here again that Bookworm_Girl has offered the idea of 'Maybe for October we should do something related to anniversaries, milestones, celebrations, or something along those lines.' Does anyone else have opinions or refinements?

The floor is now open!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:19 AM   #392
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Well, considering that we've been facing 70km/h winds (gusting to almost 100km/h) here, and I read another member on this list is preparing for hurricane conditions, the temptation is to suggest: Windy.

Or more generally: Weather

Just a thought.

Maybe you could combine with Bookworm_Girl's idea and look for celebrations of weather? Or maybe solstice or equinox and so on.

I'm just getting carried away as I listen to our roof shake.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:04 PM   #393
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's a great idea, gmw, especially with the crazy weather some are getting (and I hope everything is well for you now)!

We could do it either way- combining them somehow, or doing one for October and the other for November.

Anyone have any opinions on which way we should go?
Old 09-11-2019, 05:06 PM   #394
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2; Kobo Aura One; iPad Pro 9.7
I suggest one for October and one for November.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #395
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

All right, that sounds good, and will give us two topics instead of just one. I'm fine with them going in either order. Perhaps we could do them in the order they were suggested? That'd give us a celebration topic for October and a weather one for November.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:15 PM   #396
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Seeing no opinion to the contrary, we'll go with that. We do need a name now for October. An idea is 'Celebrate Good Times', with everything Bookworm_Girl mentioned as the description. Does that sound good, or is there another title that someone may prefer?
Old 10-06-2019, 01:30 PM   #397
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Now is the time to choose November's topic!

All ideas are appreciated; just post! We're very flexible with our monthly topic; it can be a topic, theme, category or whatever else. This can also be collaborative so any little kernel of an idea is great.

gmw had the idea of 'Well, considering that we've been facing 70km/h winds (gusting to almost 100km/h) here, and I read another member on this list is preparing for hurricane conditions, the temptation is to suggest: Windy... Or more generally: Weather' Does anyone else have opinions or refinements?

The floor is now open!
Old 10-06-2019, 01:51 PM   #398
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Also, while we decide on our next topic, there's a couple of minor bits of club business I want to bring up.

First, we've been playing with the format of how to best suggest in the first post of discussion threads when might be good times to discuss what parts. It's only a (somewhat trivial) suggestion since we can discuss whatever at any time, but I still think it might be good to keep. Currently the recommendation is waiting around a month to discuss the full completed book (and ending), basically around the time the next selection is chosen. It seems enough finish sooner though, so maybe we could change that to recommending just waiting until the 1st to discuss the complete book instead of a month (which would be around the 10th). Any thoughts?

Second, I've long wanted to provide a preview link for nominations in the first post of the nomination/voting thread. I personally find and read them anyway, so I'm usually already there. The problem has always been though that I usually use Goodreads for most previews if they're there, but clicking to preview doesn't change the url, so I didn't see a way to transfer that to a link. Well, I've had an epiphany, as simple as it is. By right-clicking the preview button on Goodreads, it does give a specific url for the preview, so I can now add preview links to the first nominations post. I try to keep the OP post nominations list low on clutter and this would add more to that, but I'd like to try it for at least a month or two. I don't know if anyone else would use it, but I myself would so I don't mind trying it and seeing how it goes, although feedback of whether it's useful to anyone else or not would be appreciated. [Edit- Some books won't have previews, and some previews will only have the foreword, introduction, book info, etc. and not any actual book content, but such is life.]

Last edited by sun surfer; 10-06-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:58 PM   #399
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I've realised the preview links I added in for this month work on a computer but not an iPhone, or at least not my iPhone.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:25 AM   #400
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

The two topic suggestions gmw gave were 'Weather' and 'Windy' and here's some other related ideas for topic titles:

-Blowing in the Wind
-Stormwind
-Windy Weather
-Fair-Weather
-Nice Weather We're Having
-Weather the Storm
-Weather the Stormwind
-Weather Permitting
-Heavy Weather
-In All Weathers

Any opinions or preferences on what we might use as the topic title?
Old 10-15-2019, 11:48 PM   #401
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I rather like "Nice Weather We're Having" - it seems wide open for both literal and ironic interpretation. Just sayin'.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:01 PM   #402
AnotherCat
Me
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I rather like "Nice Weather We're Having" - it seems wide open for both literal and ironic interpretation. Just sayin'.
Lucky for us in the southern hemisphere we can take the literal interpretation in real life - well, at least for the next 6 months or so (and can nominate "sunny" books just to rub it in ).
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM   #403
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

All right, ‘Nice Weather We’re Having’ in November!
Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM   #404
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
All right, ‘Nice Weather We’re Having’ in November!
And I knew immediately what my nomination was going to be - provided that nonfiction is permissible? I can't recall and I can't check the guidelines where I am right now
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM   #405
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Oh yes, astrangerhere, you can always nominate non-fiction! (well, as long as it's not some specifically fiction category, which is rare if ever, especially now with our more creatively interpretable topics)