Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 02-15-2015, 10:33 AM   #1
GordonGekko
Enthusiast
GordonGekko has learned how to read e-booksGordonGekko has learned how to read e-booksGordonGekko has learned how to read e-booksGordonGekko has learned how to read e-booksGordonGekko has learned how to read e-booksGordonGekko has learned how to read e-booksGordonGekko has learned how to read e-booksGordonGekko has learned how to read e-books

Device: None
Which Desktop Ereader will allow sideloaded books to reach your Windows Phone?

I'm using the Lumia 635 strictly as a media player and I'm trying to get sideloaded books on the phone. I know syncing the last page read is probably an impossible task at this point and I know that Freda will allow one to transfer a book from Onedrive but I would like to find a desktop ereader that would at least transfer a book to that program's Windows phone app so I can read the book on the desktop and when I am on the go I can continue to read it on the Windows Phone and I will set the page manually.

I tried the Kindle for Mac desktop ereader but it won't transfer sideloaded books and it does not provide an email Kindle address for the emailing of documents to accomplish this. For some reason Amazon won't provide this option on the Kindle for Mac desktop reader.

I've read that the Kobo reader won't transfer them either. Does the Nook reader transfer sideloaded books to the phone? Does any other Mac desktop readers accomplish this?

Thanks.
GordonGekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:39 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Kindle is unique in allowing you to upload Personal Documents to your Kindle Cloud, no one else offers such a feature.

It is a pity they don't let you download via the desktop apps.

Try sideloading the .azw* from the mobile app into the My Kindle Content folder. It should sync.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2015, 02:16 PM   #3
GordonGekko
Enthusiast
GordonGekko has learned how to read e-booksGordonGekko has learned how to read e-booksGordonGekko has learned how to read e-booksGordonGekko has learned how to read e-booksGordonGekko has learned how to read e-booksGordonGekko has learned how to read e-booksGordonGekko has learned how to read e-booksGordonGekko has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Kindle is unique in allowing you to upload Personal Documents to your Kindle Cloud, no one else offers such a feature.

It is a pity they don't let you download via the desktop apps.

Try sideloading the .azw* from the mobile app into the My Kindle Content folder. It should sync.

I am sideloading a book from my computer desktop to the Kindle reader in the hope I can then read it on the phone. But when I do this it will not go to the archived folder and when I try to move it within the Kindle Mac reader it won't let me place it in the archived folder but that folder is the only one that Kindle makes available on the Windows Phone.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:53 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Email it using send-to-kindle, and then download it on the mobile app. It won't be available on desktop devices, but you can sideload the copy downloaded from the mobile app, and add it to the My Kindle Content folder. It should appear as an available book, and hopefully, it will sync.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:07 PM   #5
GordonGekko
Enthusiast

Quote:
Email it using send-to-kindle, and then download it on the mobile app. It won't be available on desktop devices, but you can sideload the copy downloaded from the mobile app, and add it to the My Kindle Content folder. It should appear as an available book, and hopefully, it will sync.
Yes but the Kindle for Mac desktop ereader does not provide a send to kindle email address. It states it on the website that it is not available in that format. I originally purchased a Kindle Voyage but had to return it for lighting issues, when I had it Amazon gave me a send to kindle email address but that was only available for that device.

Now this is not possible. And yes you are correct, if you do have this send to kindle functionality if you email Amazon a mobi file it will sync across devices according to what I have read.
Advert
Old 02-15-2015, 04:34 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

The mobile app has a send-to-kindle email address, yes?
Also, your books get archived regardless of which send-to-kindle email is used.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:45 PM   #7
GordonGekko
Enthusiast

Quote:
The mobile app has a send-to-kindle email address, yes?
Also, your books get archived regardless of which send-to-kindle email is used.
The Kindle mobile app? It is a catch 22, I have to get the mobi file on the Windows Phone before I could do anything like that, my problem is I can't get the ebook to the phone.

Windows phone has a Mac desktop program that allows you to pull songs and video off of your Itunes account but they have no native way to pull books off of any account.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:50 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Do you or do you not see an email address for the Kindle for Windows Phone app, here: http://amzn.com/manageyourkindle?
Old 02-16-2015, 03:17 AM   #9
GordonGekko
Enthusiast

Quote:
Do you or do you not see an email address for the Kindle for Windows Phone app, here: http://amzn.com/manageyourkindle?
There is no email address in that section, in the spot that did have an email address when I had a Kindle Voyage, it is replaced by "undefined" and when you click that it sends you to a generic page that explains all the ways you can "send to kindle".
Old 02-16-2015, 09:31 AM   #10
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
I'll confirm that there's no email address for my Lumia 520 in MYK. The Kindle app for WP8.1 seems to be rather primitive compared to the Kindle app on Android. I also don't see any type of "my documents" selection available in the app.

I have been using the BookVisor app on my Lumia for reading and manually transferring epub files to it over USB, just treating the Lumia as another drive letter visible to Windows. Someday I'll figure out how to get my books into Onedrive and use that instead of USB transfer. (One Drive is not supported on my old XP laptop which is where my Calibre library resides.)

If there's an easy way to transfer books from your Mac to Onedrive, maybe that would be the simplest solution?
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:41 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Well, that stinks that the WinPhone Kindle app is less featureful. Then again, I guess that isn't surprising, WP doesn't seem to get a lot of love anywhere.

Re: WinXP and OneDrive, some quick googling got me this: http://www.cloudstorageexplorer.com/
Old 02-22-2015, 01:06 PM   #12
GordonGekko
Enthusiast

Quote:
Well, that stinks that the WinPhone Kindle app is less featureful. Then again, I guess that isn't surprising, WP doesn't seem to get a lot of love anywhere.

Re: WinXP and OneDrive, some quick googling got me this: http://www.cloudstorageexplorer.com/
Back to the drawing board, I was going to wait to see if Apple updated the Ipod Touch but I might just buy the 5th generation now. It is not just ereading that Windows Phone treats in an odd way, the video player does not have a proper rewind or fast forward button and the xbox music player is glitchy as hell.