Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Classic Mash-ups

What hath Pride and Prejudice and Zombies wrought?

Since its publication we have seen:

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls
Little Women and Werewolves
Jane Slayre
Little Vampire Women
Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter
Emma and the Werewolves
Android Karenina
Mansfield Park and Mummies
The Undead World of Oz
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
Robin Hood and Friar Tuck: Zombie Killers - A Canterbury Tale
Emma and the Vampires
Alice in Zombieland

BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Seth Grahame-Smith's books actually have very good reviews (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter). I haven't read either yet, but they are on my tbr list. The others.... well, seems like they're just following a trend. The typical market over-saturation when something does well.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, I've reads those two books. PPZ is the better one. Probably it was helped by having mostly Jane Austen's prose. Abraham Lincoln was OK. Mostly these seem to be of interest as a novelty rather than as a story in their own right.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
They'd be vastly more interesting if anyone ever bothered to expand them beyond the standard Zombies, Vampires, and Werewolves, oh my! horror movie clichés.

And maybe tried to mimic the style of the writing of the times a bit more instead of having these clunky modern-sounding substitutions into the original text. (I read PPZ, SSM, and PPZ: DotD from the library; 1st 2 were decent attempts at approximation, 3rd wasn't even trying and read like a cheap cash-in quickie.)

Some eldritch abominations wouldn't come amiss. In fact, there was a rather good Sherlock Holmes/Lovecraft anthology before all this, Shadows Over Baker Street, which spawned Neil Gaiman's excellent A Study in Emerald, available for free reading from his website. Admittedly PDF, but it mimics the look of a Victorian penny dreadful tabloid, complete with "period" ads.

That's what all these mash-up writers should aspire to.

Also, they should have more imaginativeness in the settings if they're just going to take mostly random popular elements and mix them up. Pride & Prejudice & Paranormal Investigations in the Wild Wild West, anyone? Or maybe Pride & Prejudice & Political Shenanigans in the Urban Courts of Faerie.

And finally, I can't believe no one's done a Northanger Abbey mash-up yet. You'd think that would be natural for it, what with the gothic horror mockery and all. Maybe they just can't find some properly alliterative item to "and" it with?

Last edited by ATDrake; 01-03-2011 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Keep :D from turning into smiley in title abbreviation.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Some eldritch abominations wouldn't come amiss. In fact, there was a rather good Sherlock Holmes/Lovecraft anthology before all this, Shadows Over Baker Street, which spawned Neil Gaiman's excellent A Study in Emerald, available for free reading from his website. Admittedly PDF, but it mimics the look of a Victorian penny dreadful tabloid, complete with "period" ads.

That's what all these mash-up writers should aspire to.
I haven't heard of Study in Emerald before... but now I shall have to download it as soon as I'm home -- it sounds fun.

Probably 75% of the appeal of PP&Z is the cover, which is fantastic. (The other 25% of the appeal is Zombies.)
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 11:42 PM   #6
BenG
Home Guard

They aren't part of the current fad, but Loren Estleman's Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula and Dr Jekyll and Mr Holmes are pretty good.
And there's a short story call The Eldritch Horror of Oz by L. Frank Craftlove.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:57 AM   #7
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Just finished Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Am a Lincoln fan and thought it was very well written and most of all, fun to read. That's what these genre-mash up novels are all about.
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
BenG
Home Guard

I agree, but I have to roll my eyes a little after so many titles appeared in the last year.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:00 PM   #9
Pickering
Connoisseur
Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3
I've never heard of these... I think I'll check out Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter!
Pickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #10
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
They aren't part of the current fad, but Loren Estleman's Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula and Dr Jekyll and Mr Holmes are pretty good.
Orbit's been reprinting some of the older Holmes mashups as "The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" and I've gotten a couple via the library. Estleman's in their series list (but not yet available via the library).

Quality varies, but so far I really liked the Harry Houdini team-up by Daniel Stashower, and the Holmes/War of the Worlds/Professor Challenger three-way mashup was amusing enough.

On the other hand, Fred Saberhagen's Holmes/Dracula sequel was a bit disappointing, though I understand his original Holmes/Dracula tale is something of a minor classic.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:28 PM   #11
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Don't neglect Jonathan Maberry's "Patient Zero," a wonderful horror/espionage mash-up... with zombies!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote