Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-20-2023, 11:34 PM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Humanity is not lost because some of us own Alexa devices. Humanity is lost if we do nothing to fix global warming.
Global warming (and cooling) comes and goes with sunspots. We can't "fix" that.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 11:44 PM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Not owning an Echo, I guess you don't realize that there is a button to turn off all listening if you want.
And, I"m guessing, the microphone can be turned back on remotely.

Quote:
I used to be like you - strongly against any "spyware listening device" in my home. But then I realized that my computers have one of those built in too. So do my TV sets. So do the remote controls for my DVR's.
Not on my computer or TV or DVR.

Quote:
So, I now have Alexa devices in my house.
Choice is good and you've chosen differently than I would. I would rather give up some convenience to remove the possibility of a spying device in my home. If I'm wrong, I really haven't lost anything.
Advert
Old 05-21-2023, 02:22 AM   #18
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Not on my computer or TV or DVR.
Or so you think. If your car is less than ten years old, there's a pretty good chance that is an unadvertised mic in there as well. Your cellphone has a mic in it - and those can be turned on remotely. Doesn't do a lot of good to buy old gear - computers, TVs, DVRs - that don't have mics, or worry about an Echo device, when you carry a mic around in your pocket wherever you go.

Right now our technology/society is pretty much on the edge where we might say "That doesn't affect me", and the answer is "Yes it does, you just don't realize it". It's like the days of old when you could run into the woods and hide from authorities. Nowadays they'll find you in a heartbeat. Probably even by using your heartbeat, for all we know.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 03:48 AM   #19
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Or so you think. If your car is less than ten years old, there's a pretty good chance that is an unadvertised mic in there as well. Your cellphone has a mic in it - and those can be turned on remotely. Doesn't do a lot of good to buy old gear - computers, TVs, DVRs - that don't have mics, or worry about an Echo device, when you carry a mic around in your pocket wherever you go.

Right now our technology/society is pretty much on the edge where we might say "That doesn't affect me", and the answer is "Yes it does, you just don't realize it". It's like the days of old when you could run into the woods and hide from authorities. Nowadays they'll find you in a heartbeat. Probably even by using your heartbeat, for all we know.
The difference is that in my car (for example) I don't choose to have the mic there (if one exists). Buying an Echo is choosing to actively have your house bugged. Also the car is parked in the garage most of the time, so constant audio recording isn't happening in my house. Big difference. As for my phone, you're probably right, though I normally carry a flip phone, when I carry a phone at all. And here there is another difference. If someone wants to "listen in" on my conversations on the phone (or when I'm carrying it) they have to specifically target me. It's not the same as my audio being routinely collected 24/7 on Amazon's servers.

None of what you're saying about "what is" means I should invite even more bugging into my home. That's throwing up your hands and giving up. With the FBI now targeting traditional Catholics, anti-abortionists and parents who go to school board meetings (under domestic "terrorist" laws), how long before they start requesting audio (or transcripts) from customers who've bought traditional Catholic books or books on winning back your school district? Or books on anti-abortion activism? (As three examples.) And Amazon does routinely turn over this information to government entities.

Not for me. Your choice here is not my choice.

"Amazon confirms it holds on to Alexa data even if you delete audio files"

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/3/20...ording-privacy
Old 05-21-2023, 06:59 AM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Way to go all tinfoil hat on everyone.

Take it to P&R.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2023, 07:14 AM   #21
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

None of what you're saying about "what is" means I should invite even more bugging into my home. That's throwing up your hands and giving up. With the FBI now targeting traditional Catholics, anti-abortionists and parents who go to school board meetings (under domestic "terrorist" laws), how long before they start requesting audio (or transcripts) from customers who've bought traditional Catholic books or books on winning back your school district? Or books on anti-abortion activism? (As three examples.) And Amazon does routinely turn over this information to government entities.

Someone has to protect us from the atheist baby killers.

WTF! Take it to the P&R forum.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 11:59 AM   #22
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Global warming (and cooling) comes and goes with sunspots. We can't "fix" that.
That is cyclic and averages out on a decadal scale. There might be long term changes in solar magnetic activity on scales of thousands or millions of years that we can't do much about. In a few billion years Earth will be toast (but not because of sunspots).

The total amount of heat trapping gases present because of human activity has been increasing for centuries. We can "fix" that.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 02:41 PM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Someone has to protect us from the atheist baby killers.

WTF! Take it to the P&R forum.
Responding to another poster about why I wouldn't allow an Echo in my house by using recent examples of FBI overreach and unwarranted intrusion.

I choose not to let Amazon bug my house. Others may freely choose to do otherwise.
Old 05-21-2023, 02:47 PM   #24
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Way to go all tinfoil hat on everyone.

Take it to P&R.
Yeah because there's NEVER been government overreach, right? It would be nice to live in your imaginary world.
Old 05-21-2023, 02:57 PM   #25
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
That is cyclic and averages out on a decadal scale. There might be long term changes in solar magnetic activity on scales of thousands or millions of years that we can't do much about. In a few billion years Earth will be toast (but not because of sunspots).

The total amount of heat trapping gases present because of human activity has been increasing for centuries. We can "fix" that.
We've had much warmer temperatures and much cooler temperatures in the last thousand years. (Higher temperatures when sunspot activity was high and lower temperatures when it wasn't.) Even in the 1970s they were talking about a new ice age. And who is to say what the temperature should be?

Maybe those in England and northern Europe would like to be able to grow grapes and make wine again like they did in the warm period before the Little Ice Age (when sunspots almost non-existent).

https://thisdayinwinehistory.com/win...ittle-ice-age/
Old 05-21-2023, 04:17 PM   #26
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
We've had much warmer temperatures and much cooler temperatures in the last thousand years. (Higher temperatures when sunspot activity was high and lower temperatures when it wasn't.) Even in the 1970s they were talking about a new ice age. And who is to say what the temperature should be?

Maybe those in England and northern Europe would like to be able to grow grapes and make wine again like they did in the warm period before the Little Ice Age (when sunspots almost non-existent).

This is getting pretty far away from echos, but your own source says:
Quote:
The reasons for the Little Ice Age are not entirely understood. There are different theories as to what caused it including a string of volcano eruptions, a change in the ocean’s circulation, an orbital cycle, or an increase in human population.
Some scientists speculate that (lack of) sunspots contributed to the Little Ice Age but none claim that was the primary cause (and thisdayinwinehistory.com doesn't even mention it.)
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 05:00 PM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Yeah because there's NEVER been government overreach, right?.
Whether there has or there hasn't: you know perfectly well that this is not the place to discuss it. As I already said: take your political and religious aspects of this discussion to P&R where they belong.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 10:53 PM   #28
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Whether there has or there hasn't: you know perfectly well that this is not the place to discuss it. As I already said: take your political and religious aspects of this discussion to P&R where they belong.
I'm not the one who brought up either subject (as you know). I'm also not the one who first introduced snide remarks into the conversation.
Old 05-21-2023, 11:21 PM   #29
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:

You've really gone off the deep end.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/fe...ming/page2.php

afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 12:12 AM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
You've really gone off the deep end.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/fe...ming/page2.php
Perhaps you should have gone back a few more years. Perhaps back to when Greenland was green and not just as part of Erik the Red's advertising campaign? You have read those articles on the boreal forest on Greenland in areas when the icecap is now ~2KM thick. Admittedly, even when Erik the Red was selling off Greenland estates, the temperature there was ~1.5° above the average so 10° summers were common for about 500 years (985-1450AD).

Search out Medieval warmth confirmed at the Norse Eastern Settlement in Greenland for more information. Or even just Medieval Warm period. Or go back a few years and check out the Roman Warm period.

The nasty bit is that the Bronze Age (Holocene Maximum), Roman and Medieval warm periods were localized event while the current temperature increase is global.

Now to dig out my telescope to see if I can locate the topic of this thread.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote