Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-06-2023, 06:53 PM   #46
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You think Amazon cares whether you buy from them or not?
In my post I didn't imply that Amazon cared. All I'm saying is that if they force your hand, and you go with it, then you are encouraging such behaviour. I don't buy from Amazon, but if I did and they pulled this one on me, I would certainly stop buying from them, not reward them by spending more of my hard-earned money on a device I have no use for.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 07:02 PM   #47
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
In my post I didn't imply that Amazon cared. All I'm saying is that if they force your hand, and you go with it, then you are encouraging such behaviour. I don't buy from Amazon, but if I did and they pulled this one on me, I would certainly stop buying from them, not reward them by spending more of my hard-earned money on a device I have no use for.
Well, many of us already have Kindles registered to our Amazon accounts, even if we usually read on another brand. So we'd not have to spend anything.

And, how would you be encouraging a giant like Amazon to do anything? They wouldn't notice a tiny minority no longer buying. So it's only your own scruples you'd satisfy, Amazon doesn't care one way or the other. You can't encourage someone to do something if that someone is not even aware of your existence.

Last edited by Sirtel; 01-06-2023 at 07:14 PM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2023, 07:04 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Buy a 2nd hand Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 08:48 PM   #49
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Well, many of us already have Kindles registered to our Amazon accounts, even if we usually read on another brand.

In my case it's the PW that I had when I first switched to Kobo in 2018. I gave it to my Dad who lives several hundred kilometres away and hasn't used it in years. I otoh, do get some use out of it
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 08:58 PM   #50
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Maybe we shouldn't be spilling our dirty little "work-around" secrets otherwise we may be giving those nasty amazon detectives ideas for more changes....
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2023, 09:04 PM   #51
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Maybe we shouldn't be spilling our dirty little "work-around" secrets otherwise we may be giving those nasty amazon detectives ideas for more changes....
If the Amazon detectives are poking around MobileRead (hi! tell your bosses this is a bad idea!) they would've already seen the thread posted in the Calibre subforum more than 5 years ago.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 09:28 PM   #52
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
If the Amazon detectives are poking around MobileRead (hi! tell your bosses this is a bad idea!) they would've already seen the thread posted in the Calibre subforum more than 5 years ago.
I'm sure they're well aware of all workarounds and have been for years.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 03:18 AM   #53
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The calibre plugin makes it appear that it will (there is an option to enter Fire serial number), and maybe it once worked, but no longer.
Fire SNs never worked for me.

only the 16 chars from an e-ink kindle

tip: if your eyesight is not up to reading the tiny SN on the actual device, you can copy paste it from devices in content and devices
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 04:40 AM   #54
jonathan2022
Connoisseur
jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android
epubor picks up serial number automatically. so you can copy direct. if you have problems reading
jonathan2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 04:53 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan2022 View Post
epubor picks up serial number automatically. so you can copy direct. if you have problems reading
Please don't ever mention that program that stole code from DeDRM to make a profit. It's garbage and don't mention it and don't pay for it and don't use it.
Old 01-07-2023, 05:02 AM   #56
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please don't ever mention that program that stole code from DeDRM to make a profit. It's garbage and don't mention it and don't pay for it and don't use it.
beat me to it!

any recommendations for those thieves should be removed

just out of interest, trustpilot is full of 1 star reviews from people who were foolish enough to hand over their card details and now can't get their money back

as they are in China, they ignore all western consumer protections and take a ha ha come get us attitude

Last edited by stumped; 01-07-2023 at 05:04 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 05:11 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
beat me to it!

just out of interest, trustpilot is full of 1 star reviews from people who were foolish enough to hand over their card details and now can't get their money back

as they are in China, they ignore all western consumer protections and take a ha ha come get us attitude
I didn't realize it's that bad. I don't get how people can get sucked into such a scam when the free DeDRM works very well. More fool them.
Old 01-07-2023, 06:55 AM   #58
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
only the 16 chars from an e-ink kindle

tip: if your eyesight is not up to reading the tiny SN on the actual device, you can copy paste it from devices in content and devices
Solves issues of O vs 0 and l vs I etc, or even 6 vs b and 5 vs S.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 07:35 AM   #59
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Quote:
beat me to it!

Quote:
I didn't realize it's that bad. I don't get how people can get sucked into such a scam when the free DeDRM works very well. More fool them.

I am surprised that anyone is convinced considering the calibre (yes, a pun ) of the reviews on their site:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-01-07 08_33_42.png
Views:	320
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	198861
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 09:46 AM   #60
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
You should be able to register that model over wifi. But you need 2 factor authentication turned on so you get a PIN to append to your password (I think you can also set it up with an authenticator app and not just a mobile number).

I had the 4th generation Kindle (non touch) briefly just a couple of months ago and was able to register it successfully (I traded it in towards a new Kindle). The Kindle Touch is also 4th generation.
I'm not sure that this is correct. I was able to register my new Kindle that I got for Christmas without having 2 factor authentication turned on...the process was no different than it was for the last few Kindles that I registered.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote