Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-25-2023, 07:13 AM   #1
Nirkatze
Nirkatze began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2Ov2, iPod Touch
How to prevent line-breaks?

Hi all,

I have a few fantasy books where telepathic dialogue is marked in non-standard ways, for example:

*Hi! How are you?*
<Hello. I'm good.>

And every now and then, when the line-breaks line up just right, they end up like this:

*Hi! How are you?
<Hello. I'm good.
>

I've been trying to figure out a way to prevent line-breaks with the beginning and end "quotes" but haven't had any luck. I use Sigil to edit and prefer epub2, and side-load using Calibre. I also prefer justified (over ragged-right), and have my <p> tag set to text-align: justify.

I've been trying this in the stylesheet:
.nowrap {white-space: nowrap;
line-break-inside: avoid;}

Looks like this in the html file:
<p><i><span class="nowrap">*Hi!</span> How are <span class="nowrap">you?*</span></i></p>

But it doesn't seem to be working. I'd appreciate some expert advice!
Nirkatze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 12:12 PM   #2
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Not tested, (and would have be tested on both epub and kepub).. But here's the technical answer.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...breaking-space

Since a nowrap span is not working, I was thinking you could try putting a word-joiner, ⁠ &⁠#8288 ; between your punctuation and the * / >.

Last edited by rashkae; 05-25-2023 at 12:19 PM.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 04:12 PM   #3
Nirkatze
Nirkatze began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2Ov2, iPod Touch
it worked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Not tested, (and would have be tested on both epub and kepub).. But here's the technical answer.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...breaking-space

Since a nowrap span is not working, I was thinking you could try putting a word-joiner, ⁠ &⁠#8288 ; between your punctuation and the * / >.
Wicked! I just made a test file with a few different options, and the word-joiner totally works!!! Thank you so much!

New text:
*Hi! How are you?&#8288 ;*
<Hello. I'm good.&#8288 ;>
(space before ; deleted though)

I had a little bit of a scare when I added it in, then used Sigil's clean-up to prettify the html file and it disappeared... until I remembered to add it to the "Preserve Entities" exclusions in Preferences and they all came back. So it'll be there when I forget it too...

I am now going to open all my book files, and put this little baby everywhere...

Last edited by Nirkatze; 05-25-2023 at 04:15 PM.
Nirkatze is offline   Reply With Quote