Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-13-2023, 12:20 PM   #2101
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Microsoft's .lit, Sony's BBeB(.lrf), Peanut Press's eReader (.pdb)... and the list goes on. I know it's fun to paint Amazon as the only wrench in the path to a one-open-ebook-format-to-rule-them-all nirvana, but It's not entirely accurate. Everybody was in the proprietary format development game in the beginning. At the time epub became the defacto standard of all non-Amazon ebook stores, it would have made no sense for Amazon to retool in order to adopt a format/DRM scheme it clearly didn't need.
Oddly enough--though no one notices it today--mobi is really an early version of epub--the original Mobi converter produced "OpenEBook" projects (with some additional features). Eventually, OEB evolved into epub2 so OEB is, essentially, epub1. And I guess Mobi would be epub1.x.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 01:37 PM   #2102
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It's possible that MobiCreator once allowed content to be saved in a format that was compatible with Open Ebook Project, but I'm unaware of any period of time when a mobi/prc file wasn't a binary database. That mobi could be seen as epub v1.x seems a rather thin stretch of the facts to me.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 01:57 PM   #2103
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Quote:
It's possible that MobiCreator once allowed content to be saved in a format that was compatible with Open Ebook Project, but I'm unaware of any period of time when a mobi/prc file wasn't a binary database. That mobi could be seen as epub v1.x seems a rather thin stretch of the facts to me.
The .prc version of mobi is an artifact of the way the Palm Pilot stored data--palm resources had to be coded for use on the device. (The "text" programs for Palm also produced 'prc' files.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 02:32 PM   #2104
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Yes. But inside the Palm resource container, the mobi ebook was still always a binary format. And that binary format was very much non-oeb-like.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 03:58 PM   #2105
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I can't envisage any version of mobipocket ebooks being "epub v 1.x" either. I still have a Palm OS PDA with two ereader programs using incompatible .pdb files and one is Mobipocket.

The .pdb stuff was very primitive (=PalmOS Data Base) and the mobi/prc was at best a sort of HTML 3 with a few extra mobi tags which don't exist in epub or azw3.

Quote:
Oddly enough--though no one notices it today--mobi is really an early version of epub--the original Mobi converter produced "OpenEBook" projects
I suspect you are thinking of some other format. Not anything to do with Mobipocket or Mobicreator.

A quick search suggests that Softbook Press, not Mobipocket, is the ancestor /creator of original Open Book spec which led to epub 2.0

EDIT
It's possible that the MobiPocket Reader app on some platforms could read Open Book spec ebooks from Softbook (who had a real ereader in 1998). Amazon bought Mobipocket in 2005. Apple iPhone and Kindle 1 came out in 2007. Android in 2008. So neither iOS nor Android ever got the Mobipocket Reader App. Amazon released the Kindle Apps for iOS and Android instead, but I don't know when.

EDIT 2.
Calibre was produced initially for the Sony ereader (which was LRF originally and epub2 later). It can produce epub 2.0, epub 3.0, azw3, old mobi, a dual mobi (basically old mobi and azw3 in one file), LRF, two kinds of pdb but not the format for a Softbook, which is essentially epub 1.0, though never called that.

MobiCreator on XP

I have the last ever public MobiCreator and it only does mobi/prc for actual ebooks. It lives on on a VM clone of my 2002 XP laptop.
Click image for larger version

Name:	viber_image_2023-05-13_21-21-08-637.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	201525
It can manage Palm databases and do various odd stuff, but not make a SoftBook compatible Open Book.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-13-2023 at 04:27 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 12:31 PM   #2106
Proximanova
Proximanova began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, 10th generation (2018)
Continuing a discussion from March: I seem to have discovered another book by Penguin Random House India which is exclusively on Amazon, in KFX only, and is not only published in 2023 but also has the unbreakeable DRM which was used by several Kindle books from Penguin India.

It sure looks like unbreakable Kindle-only books could be on the way to becoming the new norm at Penguin India. Thought this was noteworthy to bring up, after the discovery that Sach Kahun Toh is similarly locked to Kindle.

https://penguin.co.in/book/i-hear-you/
Proximanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 04:52 PM   #2107
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
As far as I'm aware, pretty much all, or at least a majority, of books in certain Indian languages are KFX-only. I'm not sure if KFX has better support for the languages (though your book seems to be English) or if there's some weird rights stuff going on there.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 09:12 AM   #2108
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
As far as I'm aware, pretty much all, or at least a majority, of books in certain Indian languages are KFX-only. I'm not sure if KFX has better support for the languages (though your book seems to be English) or if there's some weird rights stuff going on there.
It is a bit of both. Indian language books are only available in KFX as only that format supports features needed for those such as specific fonts.

In addition some publishers of English language books published in India have a deal with Amazon that their books are only made available in KFX format with strong DRM. It has been that way for awhile. I don’t know if that is a trial planned for expansion worldwide or if the Indian market is felt to be especially subject to piracy.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 04:10 AM   #2109
Unseen Entities
Enthusiast
Unseen Entities began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Question about using Bluestacks to export books. Is the resulting ebook the same file size as from Download & Transfer or is it smaller? (i.e. does it serve lower quality images to old kindle android app)

...Its very lame Download & Transfer doesnt offer a max Quality option, especially after blocking K4PC.

Last edited by Unseen Entities; 06-11-2023 at 04:13 AM.
Unseen Entities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 07:24 AM   #2110
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseen Entities View Post
Question about using Bluestacks to export books. Is the resulting ebook the same file size as from Download & Transfer or is it smaller? (i.e. does it serve lower quality images to old kindle android app)

...Its very lame Download & Transfer doesnt offer a max Quality option, especially after blocking K4PC.
Same and bigger. The 4.16 version gives identical size books than Download and Transfer with low res low quality images. When using 8.51 in Bluestacks, you get the bigger high res version.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 07:00 PM   #2111
Ma'am-I-Am
Preferred pronouns: We/Us
Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2
Is 8.51 the highest version we can use and still de-DRM it in Calibre?
Ma'am-I-Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 08:45 PM   #2112
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'am-I-Am View Post
Is 8.51 the highest version we can use and still de-DRM it in Calibre?
Yes and no. On everything other than Bluestacks it downloads unbreakable KFX. Bluestacks will download the KF8 version that can have the DRM removed.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 11:06 PM   #2113
Unseen Entities
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
When using 8.51 in Bluestacks, you get the bigger high res version.

Lol, good theres a way to get higher quality versions but oof I was hoping to not have to use Bluestacks.

Last edited by Unseen Entities; 06-12-2023 at 01:17 AM.
Old 06-12-2023, 02:15 AM   #2114
Ma'am-I-Am
Preferred pronouns: We/Us
Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2
You could always try another Android emulator and school us.
Ma'am-I-Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 07:23 AM   #2115
Unseen Entities
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'am-I-Am View Post
You could always try another Android emulator and school us.
Its more that you have to use an android emulator at all. I've only heard of and dabbled with Bluestacks, I dont imagine other android emulators are any less irritating.

I got it to work but its a pretty convoluted process that required reading and combining technical instructions from 3 different posters and I still ran into a few issues I had to google. On top of that Bluestacks consistently gets a CTD trying to load Kindle 8.51's sign in page on my Calibre PC so I had to change over to my laptop. Exporting after youre all setup isnt too bad but its still kind of clunky.

I'm glad theres a way to get a high quality versions, but I can say I'm thrilled about it compared to K4PC 1.17. Thank god you got people here figuring this arcane shit out and willing to post explanations...

Last edited by Unseen Entities; 06-12-2023 at 07:34 AM.