Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #1561
goldencore
Enthusiast
goldencore began at the beginning.

Device: PW 2 FW 5.4.5.1 (JB)
Just a short message so that you guys don't think I am being ungrateful. Work and other stupid things kept me away from the Kindle today.
I found the time to fire a ifconfig -a in kterm today and the address shown is the one I am trying to connect to!
The usbnetwork info shows that it is enabled, but also says "sshd down?" Might that be a clue? Some Linux deamon not running?
Hope I'll find some time tomorrow!
goldencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:41 PM   #1562
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@goldencore: Restart your device completely and try again.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2014, 12:52 AM   #1563
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldencore View Post
The usbnetwork info shows that it is enabled, but also says "sshd down?" Might that be a clue? Some Linux deamon not running?
Definitely is. sshd is the daemon that listen to the port you're trying to connect to with putty. And "connection refused" exactly means "Hey, I've got to reach the address you gave me, found it but there is nothing listening at that port". Se either you gave the wrong address or.. yeah: the daemon is not listening.

In that case, we need to understand why it is down. I'll be leaving for the weekend now, I hope people here can help you setting up that connection: now the problem is not "Windows related", Kindle gurus here might help.
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:56 AM   #1564
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Usually articles, but there is nothing stopping someone from writing a reddit news recipe.
And news sources gets added with almost every update - which in turns gets released every week!
Old 12-06-2014, 09:48 AM   #1565
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
@NiLuJe - on my PW2 test device I updated the jb bridge to your most current snapshot. Do I need to update anything else - rp, etc.? I installed the crp since I hadn't installed that. No USB networking. Not knowledgeable enough to use that without damage, very likely. Anything else I should do. I also brought my other PW2 current on jb, etc. Thanks.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #1566
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@pghaworth: If you haven't installed the RP at one point, CRP is useless on its own, but besides that, nope, you're good .
Old 12-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #1567
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
That's what I thought. Already had rp (bridge carries it over), just wanted to add crp. Thanks.

Having an issue with SS hack. Will be posting over there in a couple.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #1568
goldencore
Enthusiast
goldencore began at the beginning.

Device: PW 2 FW 5.4.5.1 (JB)
I restarted the kindle, but that didn't help. Interesting fact is, that I can get a telnet connection to the kindle from a windows command line (using 192.168.15.244). Still no luck with Putty though...
goldencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #1569
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

You can with putty too, if you choose telnet protocol instead of ssh in putty connection screen.
The reason you don't get to connect in ssh is that for some reason sshd on you're kindle dies.
I don't know where sshd stores its log though, maybe someone else may help.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:07 PM   #1570
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The system log file might show something.
Ah....
Code:
;dm
in the Kindle's search bar (that is: Semi-Colon DEE EM)

Toggle USBnet on/off (with the cable disconnected) a few times just before doing the above 'dump messages' -
That should leave the interesting part near the tail end of the log.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:14 PM   #1571
NiLuJe
BLAM!

That's weird, even with an utterly broken config, the hack should fall back to sane defaults.

Unless your install is corrupt (missing content?), that definitely shouldn't happen, especially on a clean boot.

Looking at logs should indeed shed some light on this .
Old 12-06-2014, 06:47 PM   #1572
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Is the sshd daemon installed with the usbnet hack, or is it only brought up by the hack but it comes original with kindle linux?
Old 12-06-2014, 07:11 PM   #1573
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Ruskie_it: Part of USBNet.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:07 AM   #1574
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

I see. Then, kindle linux is some sort of an "incomplete Linux" that hackers complements. I had that suspect yesterday when I saw the 'file' command was missing... just checking.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:43 AM   #1575
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The stock Kindle doesn't need sshd. It doesn't need a lot of things a desktop or server OS needs.

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-07-2014 at 01:45 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch