Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2019, 07:39 PM   #76
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If I decide to reset whichever is the device I am using for reading, I just send all books that are being read or are unread.
Yeah, that's not an option for me. I have more unread books than I can fit on any one device (or can ever read in my remaining lifetime, for that matter). So I have to select which books go where (and which I probably won't read in the next ten years), and keep track of them. It's necessary even without doing any resets, just to know what is where.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:30 PM   #77
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Before I update the firmware, I plug the Kobo into the computer and copy everything that's on it. That way I have a backup just in case. That's the way I suggest doing it,
I consider all portable computing devices (tablets, laptops, etc.) to be disposable, in the sense that any day they could get lost, stolen, or broken.
I don't put anything on any such devices that I don't already have a copy of somewhere else.

For my kobo, there's no point in making a copy of what's on it, because calibre already has everything, including config settings that get automatically backed up.

I use a custom column (dedicated to each device) indicating which books are on the device, and use the reading list plugin to keep that in sync.

The only thing I'd lose if I had to unexpectedly replace (or reset) the device would be reading positions for individual books, because I don't want to wait for that to sync up every single time I side load.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2019, 07:45 AM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I think Jon meant taking a copy of everything on the book partition of the device. I do this frequently when testing things. It allows me to restore everything back to the way it was if things go wrong.

I don't bother tracking what books are on the device in calibre. If I decide to reset whichever is the device I am using for reading, I just send all books that are being read or are unread. Plus some others such as test samples or the already read books in a series I am currently reading.
Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

I use the Reading List plugin to see what's on my H2O and making the books as on my Reader. So I don't have to do anything by hand. This way, If I needed to restore, I could easily.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-23-2019 at 07:58 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:51 AM   #79
perisiana
Connoisseur
perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Is there a plug-in to see what books you have read (not necessarily with the reading percentage) that doesn't need so much time to load?
I have used the kobo utilities and is great, but I have like 3.000 books on my Kobo and it takes a lot to sync.
perisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:33 AM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
I consider all portable computing devices (tablets, laptops, etc.) to be disposable, in the sense that any day they could get lost, stolen, or broken.
I don't put anything on any such devices that I don't already have a copy of somewhere else.

For my kobo, there's no point in making a copy of what's on it, because calibre already has everything, including config settings that get automatically backed up.

I use a custom column (dedicated to each device) indicating which books are on the device, and use the reading list plugin to keep that in sync.

The only thing I'd lose if I had to unexpectedly replace (or reset) the device would be reading positions for individual books, because I don't want to wait for that to sync up every single time I side load.
The KoboUtilities plugin backs up the database and the Reading List plugin keeps track of which books I have on my H2O. I do also use KoboUtilities to backup where I am in the books I have going. I don't do so all the time. But given that I have the database, all I need is to make sure the books are on the H2O and I can restore the database, the books, and I'll be back in business.
Advert
Old 09-23-2019, 10:33 AM   #81
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by perisiana View Post
Is there a plug-in to see what books you have read (not necessarily with the reading percentage) that doesn't need so much time to load?
I have used the kobo utilities and is great, but I have like 3.000 books on my Kobo and it takes a lot to sync.
How long is it taking? For my Clara HD, I have 2499 books, of which 1500 are in one calibre library. That takes 2 seconds to get the reading status.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:55 AM   #82
perisiana
Connoisseur
perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.

Quote:
How long is it taking? For my Clara HD, I have 2499 books, of which 1500 are in one calibre library. That takes 2 seconds to get the reading status.
Like 20 minutes or more...
But maybe is my PC, is a little old.
Or my Kobo H20 first gen.
I'm happy to hear that it takes so little for you, I plan to change both shortly
Old 09-23-2019, 12:48 PM   #83
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
In my case, I have 4000+ books in my Calibre library and almost all of them are loaded on my Glo HD. It was taking me around 3-4 minutes each time to update the reading status for all of my books, with a laptop from 2013 (i7, 6GB of RAM, SSD, with Windows 10 installed on it). I thought it was acceptable given the size of the database but I ended up disabling it and updating the reading status manually because I often connect my reader more than once (i.e. for updating series information) and it was bothering me.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:18 PM   #84
perisiana
Connoisseur

Quote:
I tried it now and if I do it automatically it takes a few seconds but it doesn't record the reading percentage, to save the reading percentage I have to do it manually and it takes about 10 minutes
Old 09-24-2019, 01:54 PM   #85
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@perisiana: You're saying the bit that's taking long is *saving* the percentages in Calibre's Library, not *pulling* them from the device?

(FWIW, my setup is everything automatic, with manual validation needed for actual update in Calibre, and both steps take a few seconds at best, even on the H2O. Granted, I'm nowhere near even a thousand books on device. And everything's KePub, in case that matters. And my column setup is fairly low key (basically, the reading % would be the most complex bits, because I have one for Kindles, one for Kobos, and both are used to compute a third one).).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-24-2019 at 01:57 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:51 PM   #86
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

OK, I've installed the new firmware and the patches. So far I am liking it.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:14 PM   #87
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

In Chapter Progress, does time remaining work with ePub?
Old 09-24-2019, 04:20 PM   #88
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
delete

Last edited by forster01; 09-24-2019 at 04:25 PM.
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:32 PM   #89
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've found an interesting bug in the chapter numbering in ePub. Take a 10 screen chapter.

1-1-2-3-5-6-7-8-9-10.

I don't know what happens on a smaller chapter with less then 5 screens.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:13 PM   #90
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
So how many days is the rollout expected to take? I've synced my kobo affilaite Clara daily, but nothing so far.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote