Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-19-2019, 02:40 PM   #1
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
PW4 battery drain test

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago I'd do a battery drain comparison on the PW4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I do have a lone registered PW4 but I forgot it in the office. I'll do a 4-way test when I get it back in my hands.
Anyway, results are in. Threw in a PW3 and KT4 into the mix.

Initial charge was noted on 7/23/2019 around 10-11am. Final charge was noted on 8/19/2019 around 10-11am.
  • PW4 5.10.0.2 factory: unregistered, shutdown: 100% - 97% = 3%
  • PW4 5.10.0.2 factory: unregistered, airplane mode on: 100% - 95% = 5%
  • PW4 5.10.1.3: unregistered, airplane mode on: 100% - 95% = 5%
  • PW4 5.10.1.3: unregistered, airplane mode off: 98% - 92% = 6%
  • PW4 5.10.1.3: registered, airplane mode off, deep sleep: 99% - 91% = 8%
  • KT4 5.11.0: unregistered, airplane mode off: 98% - 89% = 9%
  • PW3 5.8.11: unregistered, airplane mode on: 99% - 73% = 26%

The PW4 on deep sleep is without Special Offers.

I think I might have bungled up on the PW3 test, though. It was on screensaver but I apparently left KUAL running (to check battery status) so I don't know if that prevented the device from going to sleep. Then again, the PW3 was a refurb purchased from Woot and based on serial number, has a manufacture date of 9/12/2016 so it's quite possible battery on that is degraded.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:53 AM   #2
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
What are the conclusions? I see
- shutting down significantly decreases battery drain
- wifi does not affect the drain (in sleep)
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:53 AM   #3
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I'm on 5.12.1
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:01 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
request PW4 deep sleep test in airplane mode.

Quote:
I mentioned a couple of weeks ago I'd do a battery drain comparison on the PW4.

Anyway, results are in...

Initial charge was noted on 7/23/2019 around 10-11am. Final charge was noted on 8/19/2019 around 10-11am.

The PW4 on deep sleep is without Special Offers.
Thanks for this extensive test.

Would you consider doing a repeat of the PW4 deep sleep test with airplane mode on?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:37 PM   #5
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Is there a difference between usual sleep (10 min timeout or button short press) and Screen Off mode (via menu - 7 sec button press)?
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 02:21 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Would you consider doing a repeat of the PW4 deep sleep test with airplane mode on?
Sure. Currently testing deep sleep off, airplane mode off, though so it'll take a while before I can get to that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Is there a difference between usual sleep (10 min timeout or button short press) and Screen Off mode (via menu - 7 sec button press)?
Didn't test. All were either timeout or button short press. Not something that's quick to check. The above test was ~27 days. Doubt there'll be any difference though.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:58 AM   #7
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Anyway, results are in. Threw in a PW3 and KT4 into the mix.

• PW4 5.10.0.2 factory: unregistered, shutdown: 100% - 97% = 3%
What exactly is the difference between shutdown and deep sleep, and how does one go about putting the Kindle into those modes?
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:55 AM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
What exactly is the difference between shutdown and deep sleep, and how does one go about putting the Kindle into those modes?
Shutdown is like power off on a tablet. Only jailbroken kindles can be shutdown. One way is the shell command
Code:
shutdown -h now
Deep sleep is not yet understood by the user community. It might be something like hibernate.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:35 AM   #9
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Shutdown is like power off on a tablet. Only jailbroken kindles can be shutdown. One way is the shell command
Code:
shutdown -h now
Deep sleep is not yet understood by the user community. It might be something like hibernate.
Thanks; didn't realize the shutdown mode was tied to jailbreaking.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:29 AM   #10
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
My battery drains a considerable amount with Wi-Fi on and in "sleep" mode. Interesting difference.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 12:53 AM   #11
atonement
Zealot
atonement began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Idle drain in case of the PW4 is extremely good. I have not registered my PW3 and it's always in airplane mode but it drains 1-1.4%/d. Before coming across this thread I thought it was pretty good. I keep KOReader running so that I can get to the detailed battery stats as if it's closed it doesn't show any info about the previous time. Maybe that can cause increased idle drain? Will need to check after exiting KOReader.
Edit: 5% drain in case of PW4 in almost 4 weeks! PW3 can't get even close I guess? Mine drains as much in less than a week.

Last edited by atonement; 01-02-2022 at 10:36 PM.
atonement is offline   Reply With Quote