Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-01-2019, 08:26 AM   #1
LadyLou
Enthusiast
LadyLou doesn't litterLadyLou doesn't litter

Device: Sony Touch
How to put Kindle puchases into Calibre

Having realised that I need to save my kindle e books into Calibre which I have used since it was first available (Thank you for this software program) I have been reading online to try and find the way. However, only today have I also realised that the threads on here and elsewhere seem to be from 2017 so I have most probably messed everything up having installed 'plug in' (which I, as yet do not really understand) and which appear not to work anyway, deleted my Kindle for PC and all the books therein in order to download version 1.9 of the Kindle app only to find it is no longer available.

Sadly, now in my mid 70's and female, the www etc. has moved on with such a pace that I can no longer keep up, and yet I also find I have more time and inclination to read more, mainly a book a day!

Having used Calibre to populate my Kindle this all started when I realised that the books purchased or obtained (Prime and Kindle unlimited) were not contained within Calibre, like those purchased elsewhere.

For me, having learned the basics of Calibre many years ago now, though have not caught up with 'plug ins' I need all my e-books in one place. I do travel from home, including spending time in hospital and this seems the best way to have access to all my books.

Having said all that, is there now a way to do just that, or have I left it too late for there to be a fix.

Please be 'gentle' as said before replies need to be in the 'simplest' terms, so many thanks in advance.
LadyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:32 PM   #2
danasye
danasye began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oais
ME TOO!

Same problem. Getting old buthopefully not too decrepit, I have had no luck in using the plug-ins (especially de-drm kindle.) I would love to find a step by step tutorial on the entire process (Finding, choosing correct plug in and installing it. Oh, and then actually using it.)
Thanks.
danasye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:59 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Unfortunately, detailed help with DRM removal isn't permitted here.

IMO, your best bet is Apprentice Alf's blog. http://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:47 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
but we can detail the first step , which is to get all of your amazon purchases downloaded from amazon into Kindle for PC. / kindle for MAC
if you already have a version of Kindle for PC installed, set it within its preferences to NOT auto update itself but read on to try anyway to find the best old version...
If you no longer have Kindle for PC, things will go smoother with an older version.
there used to be a link for getting that elsewhere in this forum.... well I found a thread that said search google for KindleForPC-installer-1.17.44170.exe
I tried that and it beings up several options. so download and install a working copy.
at the end of this post is the thread and the search results

once you have all of tour purchases saved on your PC within Kindle for PC, you will be ready for the next step, which will require you to go read the detailed instructions on the other site mentioned. but its not that hard.. and you can ask for help over there if you get stuck

so to summarise
get Kindle for PC 1.17 installed to your PC, ( or the equivalent for mac), turn off updates, download all of your purchased books to it.
[ you may want to take a backup at this point,your books will be within My Documents in a MY KINDLE CONTENT FOLDER. so BACK THAT UP ]

those books could now be added to calibre to form part of a catalogue, but they have not yet been unlocked so they can only be read with Kindle for PC
so don't add them to calibre yet, instead go to the link in #3 and continue

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ndle+installer
https://www.google.com/search?q=Kind...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by stumped; 08-05-2019 at 05:50 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:05 AM   #5
LadyLou
Enthusiast
LadyLou doesn't litterLadyLou doesn't litter

Device: Sony Touch
Thanks for your help and I do understand the restrictions

I seem to have done what has been offered, but maybe not in the correct order, over the weekend, but nothing has worked, well it has, all is installed as Plug ins and DRM protected books are within Calibre, but not working - incidentally at that point the process brought 2 books in with each one book add on, but I feel that might be a 2nd book in another format.

Anyway, when I have a few hours to re-do all this stuff, I will start over and try to process in the right order.

Before that, however, I am going to take a look through the Calibre manual, as it may be easier if I actually understand what I am doing, I might then have half a chance!!

Again many thanks
LadyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:11 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I don't think I'm bending the rules too much to point out that DRM removal (if you have the right plugin installed) happens on import to calibre. If your books are already in calibre with DRM, you'll need to delete the AZW files currently in calibre and import them again once the DRM removal is working.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:19 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yes, its not the calibre manual you need to study- its the description of how to add and use alf's plug in

PA a google search will find many other sites purporting to hand hold you through the process, but I cannot vouch for their accuracy.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:40 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
but we can detail the first step , which is to get all of your amazon purchases downloaded from amazon into Kindle for PC. / kindle for MAC
Not needed. You can, if you have a physical Kindle, select Download and transfer via PC /USB. Choose a physical kindle (not Fire).
Remove all the kindle books from Calibre and FRESH import after adding the suitable 3rd party plugin & Copy/Paste the serial number from the Kindle or the Amazon Web page for your Kindle first.
Then import the ebooks to Calibre.
Do not give copies to anyone else even if they didn't have DRM. Kindle ebooks on Smashwords have no DRM and not all eBooks on Amazon have DRM.
I no longer can run Kindle for PC as the newer supported versions won't install on WINE. I abandoned Windows two years ago.

Last edited by Quoth; 08-07-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:22 PM   #9
stumped
Wizard

That is an alternative if you have a physical e ink kindle but does your method work with the latest Paperwhite, oasis, voyage etc. I suspect not,because of kfx but happy to be proved wrong.
if we are even allowed to continue discussing
Old 08-07-2019, 06:52 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
That is an alternative if you have a physical e ink kindle but does your method work with the latest Paperwhite, oasis, voyage etc. I suspect not,because of kfx but happy to be proved wrong.
if we are even allowed to continue discussing
So far, all "Download and transfer via USB" files are in AZW3 or MOBI format. Even if there's a KFX version, it still downloads AZW3 with this method.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle