Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-26-2020, 06:46 AM   #76
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Anos View Post
pwalker8, maybe we should start a Heinlein thread.
By all mean. Or even an old masters thread. That could be interesting. Why don't you start it.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:18 AM   #77
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I also read Foucault's Pendulum. Great first chapter, rest of the book was a slog, though an interesting idea. Not recommended.

Rushdie...massively overrated IMO.
It's been a long time, but I remember enjoying Foucault's Pendulum very much. Was bored out of my skull, still a few years earlier, by The Name of the Rose, but that could have been because I was just too young then.

Incidentally, Rushdie hated Foucault's Pendulum and wrote a scathing review.

Rushdie is a bit hit and miss, IMO. I really liked Midnight's Children, The Moor's Last Sigh, Shalimar the Clown and Fury. And his children's book, Haroun and the Sea of Stories. There was an audiobook of Rushdie himself reading it at the time, which was brilliant. (Only audiobook I've tried that I didn't fall asleep to.)
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 02:02 PM   #78
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
By all mean. Or even an old masters thread. That could be interesting. Why don't you start it.
Done!
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:08 AM   #79
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I feel that way about Ayn Rand. I read The Fountainhead in my late teens. I disagreed with her philosophy, but felt like the book was IMPORTANT.

Then, a few years later I attempted Atlas Shrugged. It didn't go well.

The golden age of science fiction might be thirteen. But I'd say Ayn Rand isn't too far distant from that.

Same here. I read Rand at roughly the same age you did, and felt much the same about her books.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:22 AM   #80
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

On Basilisk Station by Weber

Perdido Street Station by Mieville

The Honor Harrington books are Horatio Hornblower in space, and meant to be. It's fun to figure out the parallels . And you must like infodumps (as I happen to). But I can see someone not liking them.

Same with Miéville, which is one of my favourite authors, but a bit of an acquired taste.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:11 PM   #81
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
The Honor Harrington books are Horatio Hornblower in space, and meant to be. It's fun to figure out the parallels . And you must like infodumps (as I happen to). But I can see someone not liking them.
Also Starfire:
https://www.starfiredesign.com/starfire/
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote