Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-08-2009, 06:00 AM   #1
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Audio files

I have a question relating to ebook reading devices, as well as formats. There doesn't seem to be a generic subforum under "devices", so I'll ask here.

I know that in an epub I can have links to multimedia content. Specifically, I am thinking of MP3 files. I want to imbed a link, so that as you are reading, you can listen to an audio clip at an appropriate time.

At this point, I don't know if Mobipocket, Lit or other formats support this. I plan on doing some testing, using the Windows versions of the various reader softwares. When I get a chance, I'll throw together a sample ebook or two for testing.

What I can't test (not having the hardware) is whether any of the hardware ebook readers support this functionallity. If you are reading an ebook and select an embedded link to an MP3, what happens? Does the clip play? Is the reading experience totally interrupted by the playing of the audio, or are things integrated smoothly? Other observations are also welcome.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't know of any eBook format which supports this functionality.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
I know that epub doesn't yet specifically support audio, but I can link to external files that are listed in the manifest. Since many of the ebook readers seem to have the ability to play MP3 files, I was wondering if they would play if linked from within an ebook.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
I know that epub doesn't yet specifically support audio, but I can link to external files that are listed in the manifest. Since many of the ebook readers seem to have the ability to play MP3 files, I was wondering if they would play if linked from within an ebook.
All of the eBook readers that support mp3 currently play mp3 in the background and there is no syncing or changing the file from within the eBook being read. It could be a nice feature for the future but the only thing close today is the AAX support on Kindle2. It works exactly the opposite. An audio file kicks off a screen display at points in the file.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:29 AM   #5
subhash4d1
subhash4d1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, SONY, MOBI, PALM, ePUB
How to enbed audio/video files in ePub/Mobi/SONY
subhash4d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by subhash4d1 View Post
How to enbed audio/video files in ePub/Mobi/SONY
It is easy to embed this files with a simple link but I do not believe these are supported by ADE or Mobi firmware. A video file would not display in E-INK anyway do to the extended refresh times, a video would look like a collection of single pictures displayed every second or so.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote