Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-12-2021, 07:46 PM   #1
Grefighter
Grefighter began at the beginning.

Device: KPW4, Voyage, KPW2, DX, K4NT
Book cover for sideloaded book

I found a epub book online and converted it to mobi for my Kindle. Original book showed a penguin as thumbnail picture. Today I just found out how to use Calibre to create book cover from youtube so I did the same thing, download metadata find the cover online then select the one I want as new cover. Then I converted book to mobi again. After I loaded the book to Kindle, the thumbnail picture is gone. Only book name is show. If I open the book, tap "Go to" and select "cover", it shows correct cover. And if I push power button to let the book cover show on the sleep mode, it also shows the correct cover. But not the thumbnail picture. Could anyone tell me what I did wrong? Forgot to mention, I did the same process with a different book, it worked perfectly. TIA

Last edited by Grefighter; 06-12-2021 at 07:50 PM.
Grefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:25 AM   #2
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Read this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=329945

Basically after the thumbnails for newly transfered book have disappeared just re-connect your Kindle to your computer while Calibre is already opened and Calibre will re-copy thumbnail images.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2021, 10:09 AM   #3
Grefighter
Grefighter began at the beginning.

Device: KPW4, Voyage, KPW2, DX, K4NT
Thank you so much for your response. I tested my issue on two kindles. On my Kindle Voyage, I navigated to the thumbnail folder and replaced a jpg file. Then the thumbnail picture showed up. I did the same thing on my KPW4. It didn't work. I used Calibre changed the file ASIN. Then reconverted the file to MOBI. It did not work either. Another thing I found out was, only Calibre 4.17 and later works with connect-disconnect-reconnect fix. My PC has Window 7 which Calibre only supports to 3.48.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
Read this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=329945

Basically after the thumbnails for newly transfered book have disappeared just re-connect your Kindle to your computer while Calibre is already opened and Calibre will re-copy thumbnail images.
Grefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:46 AM   #4
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Time to update
Old 06-13-2021, 04:18 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grefighter View Post
I found a epub book online and converted it to mobi for my Kindle. Original book showed a penguin as thumbnail picture.
Please do not ask for help on pirated eBooks. The ePub in question is from Penguin who do sometimes use their penguin logo as a generic cover. So if you have a cover view that does not have words under the covers to say that book it is, you won't know.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2021, 10:26 AM   #6
shamanNS
Guru

@JSWolf: And don't you make farfetched assumptions (based on one "fact") and then accuse people of wrongdoing based on those assumptions!

Resident busybody...