Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-22-2021, 07:25 AM   #1
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
Kindle Voyage - No Wifi

I wonder if anyone can help. My Kindle Voyage has recently stopped finding any source of WiFi. I have tried the various remedies suggested here and elsewhere, and I am reluctantly accepting that it might be the antenna.

Before I follow the useful YouTube guide for opening it up, I wonder if anyone can say whether a second issue with it might have some bearing.

When I "restart" the Voyage, after the couple of minutes of Kindle loading screens, what I end up with is a blank white screen which does not respond to any touch commands. I have found that I can get back the proper touch-sensitive screen (and find my books) by connecting it to Calibre, telling Calibre to "Manage my Device", restarting Calibre and then ejecting the Voyage.

There might be a simpler way but I haven't found it.

I'd be very grateful for comments from anyone who has successfully solved an antenna issue, and equally for anyone who can cast light on the "restart" issue.
Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:03 AM   #2
Sol Arkite
Zealot
Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: KV; PW3 ; PW2 ; k5; KT2
Have you tried reinstalling the firmware? Or installing another firmware?
(Make sure your jailbreak is updated before you do so you can reestablish after the update)
(Jailbreaking could offer more tools to get to the root of the problem)

Last edited by Sol Arkite; 05-22-2021 at 08:07 AM.
Sol Arkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2021, 08:10 AM   #3
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Arkite View Post
Have you tried reinstalling the firmware? Or installing another firmware?
(Make sure your jailbreak is updated before you do so you can reestablish after the update)
(Jailbreaking could offer more tools to get to the root of the problem)
Thanks: it seemed to fail shortly after the March 2021 firmware update, and I installed the April update from the laptop. It's not a jailbroken device, and I am not sure I am quite ready to try that yet. Of course, I appreciate that it's less intrusive than tearing the case apart.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:24 AM   #4
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Are you sure this is an issue with the wi fi? I use my PW2 and PW3 entirely in aeroplane mode because I don't have wi fi. It was many years before I even registered the devices themselves (at a friend's) though both had been registered with Amazon.
Unlike many other ereaders, kindles don't need wi fi to function. I wonder if you could have a problem with the screen?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:16 PM   #5
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
Few questions. If you turn on wifi do you get the indicator at the top of the screen? If you go to settings , wireless, wi fi networks, are any wi fi networks listed, including yours?
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2021, 05:18 AM   #6
Araucaria
Bibliophile

Thanks for all the suggestions, which I appreciate.

It was a software problem: in the end I did a factory reset and that cured it.

I hadn't wanted to try that until I'd exhausted all the other possibilities, because if it had been a hardware issue (damaged antenna, for example) I would then have had an unregistered Kindle that I wouldn't be able to register - not without WiFi. And although I normally use my various devices in aeroplane mode, there are some Kindle features that you don't get if the device isn't registered.

Thanks again

Tags
#voyage #antenna #restart