Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-22-2021, 05:39 PM   #736
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
nowadays all my devices are in dark mode. ... OS theme
Sorry but - invert colours at keystroke? You do not?

Ok, more verbosely for those confused: you should have a keystroke command on your system that inverts the colours on the screen, so that what is black becomes white, the blue Quick Reply bar is see below now is light brown, etc. When you see it appropriate, you just switch between normal and inverted. ...You can customize your desktop, and of course you should, but you cannot customize all third party material. But you can at least have two modes key shortcut selectable, and theoretically even more.

Last edited by mdp; 05-22-2021 at 05:46 PM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:24 AM   #737
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
This comes in handy as I recently wanted to post anyway for the following: what a great product the Onyx Max 2 is as a tablet. I have restarted using it in the past few weeks and I found the experience, refreshing. I use it with my own software to read articles, and the real estate is very precious.

As a monitor, I only used it in a trial phase as the optimal use would be with USB integration - be it VNC be it extended HDMI (touchscreen etc.) -, and it is absurd to drain the laptop battery, which seems unavoidable with USB. (Wi-Fi is equally absurd.)

So, as outdoors display, I am using more typical technologies with screens (cloth etc.) to block light sources. Of course this remain suboptimal in normal conditions (i.e. out of the car).

--

Note that I very recently came to know of a few advances in EPD. I do not know, owing to absence, if they were noted here. There seem to be displays around that can perform 15 fps on extra modes between A2 and Greyscale Update, and that come already equipped with an HDMI connection - because some may come as peripherals to the Raspberry PI and similar. The lag should also be improved.
Nice to see you back over here, your posts were always very informative!
Especially your posts in this thread a few years ago are gold for anyone wanting to use e-Ink (or other Android) devices as monitors via vnc and similar! Thanks a lot!
I have played around with that option (Linux laptop running a vnc server and connecting the Android device as display with bvnc) on my Note (and recently Note 2) and found it to be quite usable in principle (when used for simple things, keeping in mind the restrictions of e-ink). What kept me from using it more frequently is that I haven't had the need for something like that often enough where it wasn't simpler to just connect a Bluetooth keyboard to the e-ink device directly and typing on there, since I mostly just need this for the very occasional chance to write some lines in LaTeX on the balcony when it's warm enough. Most of the time, especially being home a lot, it's just easier to simply use my two external screens on my regular desk.

@mdp your main drawback for using vnc via USB on these devices was that there's no (simple?) way to disable charging of the device when you just want to use the data, right?
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2021, 01:59 PM   #738
japinder
jp
japinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Onyx Boox Note Air, Remarkable 1, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_ View Post
+1
Spacedesk works well on my Note Air.
Being WiFi, its kind of slow. But then, that's to be expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbacon View Post
I tried spacedesk which works very well for wifi, but I'm also trying to utilize usb-c instead of using wifi for a monitor.. I just got the trial for Splashtop Wired XDisplay, I'll try and let you know how well it works.
Will wait for your update. Interested in how wired connection pans out. Thanks.
japinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 02:13 PM   #739
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbacon View Post
I'm also trying to utilize usb-c instead of using wifi for a monitor.
(Almost) anything that you can do over WiFi you can do over USB.
Just use the forwarding capability of adb/adbd
Code:
C:\>adb forward tcp:6666 tcp:6666
I run my old B&N Nook Simple Touch as a status monitor using an app that listens on 6666 for stuff.
A Raspberry Pi native program sends out updates on 6666.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:07 AM   #740
SVN
SVN began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 902
Multiple crippling issues of new Boox Max 2

Hello!

Could you please help me to tame my brand new Boox Max 2? In my case most of the functions fail. No kidding (and I am no stranger to the world of electronic devices). I can't use it as monitor, I can't get bluetooth working, it refuses to run ftp server properly, even updating fails!

The only thing it does great ist rendering pdfs (well, the main reason I purchased it, to be honest; that being said, I would be happy to have some extras).

The monitor mode problem:
I connect it to my computer via an HDMI-micro HDMI cable, than I run the Monitor app and it is... kind of working, but the picture on screen is of terrible quality. The resolution is clearly quite far from what it should be. The device recommends to use 1400x1050 and I would be happy to follow the advice, but this resolution is not on the list of available resolutions on my computer for this secondary monitor (Max 2, I mean). The computer believes the optimal one for it to be 2104x1560. The User manual gives me the third variant for the device's native resolution which is 2200x1650 (not listed on computer either). I tried to play with other resolutions, it did not help much.

The bluetooth problem:
I turn the bluetooth toggle on and try to pair Max 2 with my other devices. The latter are not able to see Max 2 (but they can see each other perfectly well).

The ftp server problem:
I installed the program called Tiny FTP of Google Play to make it possible to send files from my computers to Max 2 without cable. It launches and runs okay at first glance, but none of my devices is able to establish connection with Max 2 (as that same Tiny FTP works pretty solidly on two cell phones and tablet in our household, so the software ist not the suspect).

The update problem:
Firstly, I tried to update via wi-fi, only to reveal there was nothing to update, because the firmware was of the latest version. After resetting to factory settings (needless to say it has not helped to solve any single one of the problems outlined above either) I decided to try to install the firmware update I discovered on the Onyx' site (https://onyxboox.com/support/boox_max2). So I downloaded, unpacked it and followed the steps on that page only to see the update failing to install because it was... corrupted. How can it be? It is beyond my understanding, given the fact the update is within the zip-archive???

Thank you for reading through all these chronicles of my mischiefs. While I realise the device was not manufactured by Apple, I can't believe it to be that bad. It just ridiculous and sad at the same time.

Please give me a hand for I run completely out of ideas. Any advice would be appreciated.
SVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2021, 03:30 AM   #741
mzan
mzan began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVN View Post
Could you please help me to tame my brand new Boox Max 2? In my case most of the functions fail. No kidding (and I am no stranger to the world of electronic devices). I can't use it as monitor, I can't get bluetooth working, it refuses to run ftp server properly, even updating fails!
I own the device for at least 5 years. I changed also the battery in the meantime. But I used also for a while a non optimal recharger.

In my case bluetooth is working without problems. I used regularly a bluetooth keyboard in the past.

Updates worked always without problems, and except one time (a big refactoring of the UI on Onyx side), they always improved the device support, stability and user experience. For example there were a problem with Kobo reader app, and they fixed it.

The majority of Google Store apps I installed worked without problems. I had a problem with Kobo reader (fixed) and a minor problem with Calibre, if I update the library directly, instead of using a wifi server connection.

Zotero, Go game, Termux, etc... are working without problems.

By the way: there is a Onyx store of supported application. For the other Google Store applications there is no guarantee, so maybe you can try to change FTP application. But it is strange that it is not working.

I stopped using it as monitor, because it was not good enough for my taste, but for the rest I'm very happy of the product.

So probably there is some faulty part inside your device that is creating problems, because the experience, except the monitor, should be nearly optimal.
mzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:43 AM   #742
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzan View Post
By the way: there is a Onyx store of supported application. For the other Google Store applications there is no guarantee, so maybe you can try to change FTP application. But it is strange that it is not working.
for moving files from local computers or other devices towards my onyx reader i always liked Cx File Explorer.
Nice *client* for local shares
(ftp/sftp/windows samba share) or remote one
(dropbox/google drive/onedrive)
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:45 AM   #743
joel7
joel7 began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max 2
I had to realise that the Max 2 is just suboptimal in every department...
- I don't know why on earth the HDMI resolutions are not native... Probably some student just made up plain wrong numbers, entered them and they left it in there to break the monitor experience. It's also not possible to display any standard resolutions like 1080p, 720p, 480p, 1024x768 or something like that at all . Would have used it connected to an iPad, but it's just not possible. Using an app like TwoMon SE gives a much clearer picture, so it would be possible if Onyx would care a tiny bit.
- Using bluetooth keyboards is also a nightmare with this thing.. Missed keystrokes, delayed accents appearing after characters I typed later, Apps get reloaded when the keyboard reconnects...
- The launcher also doesn't stay in memory but gets reloaded every time after switching back from an app.
- Wifi gets connected any time from 1 second to 1 hour after turning the tablet on from standby...
- Bluetooth headsets are just not useable microphone-wise even though this should not be a problem on Android.
- Firmware Updates get stuck during downloads often...
- Firmware Update release dates are just not logical at all and some updates are always missing on one of Onyx's websites.
- Noise coming through the 3,5mm jack when connected to a charger.
- Device becomes unuseably slow for a few minutes after connecting to wifi after a few days.
- Default E-ink optimizations usually break the experience for almost every app and have to be adjusted for every new app.

With these things solved I would use the tablet every day. Onyx solved some of them with the new Note, so that's much better at least.

The only good thing is that they added Regal and X refresh modes with firmware updates, but even that one half-heartedly with some tools like the dot only switching between A2 and full mode.
joel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:13 AM   #744
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel7 View Post
Apps get reloaded when the keyboard reconnects...
That's really the fault of the specific application.

When a keyboard arrives (or orientation changes) the default action in Android is to restart the app so that it can adapt to the new configuration. You can tell Android that your app can "go with the flow" and doesn't need to be restarted. I do this in every app that I write by putting this in AndroidManifest.xml
Code:
android:configChanges="keyboard|keyboardHidden|orientation|screenSize"
In your Activity in the app you can (but don't have to) react in onConfigurationChanged(). You can tell the app maker to put configChanges in or even just use ApkTool to do it yourself. If you do it yourself you have to re-sign it which may cause problems.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:46 AM   #745
Jötunn
Jötunn began at the beginning.

Device: Aura H2O, Note Air 2
Onyx typewrtining

Hi everyone

I played with the thought of buying a Freewrite but for several reasons I discarded it after some research (main reason being that the company forces you to use their murky cloud service. Information on security is basically non existent and furthermore I see a risk of Freewrite going the reMarkle way forcing you to pay for it in the future).

Instead I came up with an idea that imitates the unique approach of the Freewriter: Onyx Book + BT mechanical Keyboard + iA Writer as Software solution (https://ia.net/). Before I realize the project their are some questions I hope to answer in ahead:

1. Approximately how high is the battery drain when using an Onyx as a Typewriter? I'm planing on using the Note Air, because of prize and size (7.8" is big enough...) but am open to other devices as well with bigger battery as the Nova 3.

2. Has anyone tried the iA writer software on an Onyx? If not I would be very grateful if someone could give it a try. I have already tried it on Desktop, it is really useful little program! For Android their is a trial version as well.
Jötunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:52 AM   #746
Jötunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jötunn View Post

1. Approximately how high is the battery drain when using an Onyx as a Typewriter? I'm planing on using the Note Air, because of prize and size (7.8" is big enough...) but am open to other devices as well with bigger battery as the Nova 3.

2. Has anyone tried the iA writer software on an Onyx? If not I would be very grateful if someone could give it a try. I have already tried it on Desktop, it is really useful little program! For Android their is a trial version as well.
I've found the answer for question one in an other thread here in the forum: iA writer works fine. As I've never used an android tablet with an e-ink and heard that note taking apps other than the native one often cause massive lag I was unsure if similar problems appear with word processors.

Regarding Question 2 I'm still looking for advice. I basically want to know if the 2000mha battery of the nova air is sufficient for lets say 4-5 hours of typewriting with bt keyboard or is bt keyboard + nova air more like a gimmick then a actually practicable usable feature...
Old 11-18-2021, 06:51 AM   #747
Renate
Wizard

I would have said that Bluetooth is completely legitimate and doesn't present a load to either the system or batteries. I then did a quick inventory of what I had.
Code:
Bluetooth "classic"
-------------------
5 Way Clicker - $20 AV style remote
Dual Media Player - $20 car stereo
Anker A7726 - $25 keyboard

Bluetooth BLE (commercial products)
-----------------------------------
AB Shutter3 - $1 Chinese selfie clicker
iRig BlueBoard - $99 foot board

Bluetooth BLE (my stuff)
---------------------------
TestBed
UniPod
YellowBoard
KeyFob
I was surprised that a little handheld clicker used "classic" Bluetooth. I didn't think that the keyboard would be "classic" either.
Bluetooth "classic" tries to maintain a more constant connection and uses more power. Bluetooth "LE" (Low Energy) doesn't. It's not particularly easy to tell the difference between the two as a consumer. "3.0", "4.0", "5.0" does not tell you if it's LE or not.
Spoiler:
Code:
switch(device.getType())
{
   case BluetoothDevice.DEVICE_TYPE_CLASSIC:
      type = "classic";
      break;
   case BluetoothDevice.DEVICE_TYPE_LE:
      type = "BLE";
      break;
   case BluetoothDevice.DEVICE_TYPE_DUAL:
      type = "dual";
      break;
   default:
      type = "unknown";
      break;
}

If you're really concerned about power, try to find a Bluetooth keyboard that is LE. The power difference is not that big, but it might help. Check to make sure that there is no problem with latency (although the eink itself is probably the biggest factor).
Old 11-18-2021, 08:29 AM   #748
Jötunn

Thank you Renate that is very informative in general and helps. My thoughts initially about power consumption were more focused on the device itself.

Mydeepguide tested the nova air with results around 5-6h note taking and came to the conclusion that there probably is some firmware problem at the moment (same results independently of frontlight settings and even considered the smaller battery seemingly low compared to previous onyx devices...). I than speculated if note taking power-consumption wise could be comparable to typewriting (what happens on the screen is not that different => in both cases the device constantly has to deal with a principally similar complex input, which it processes and than displays...)?

As you I did rate bt as a minor factor and writing software and typewriting optimization by onyx the big factors (that's why I asked if someone could test or report battery drain with iA writer...).

I'm attached to mechanical keyboards since years on my desktop and can't see myself typing on anything else since. I researched and ended up with the Vortex Tab 60 that suits my approach the best. I think I write vortex asking about BT/BTLE and power consumption. The keyboard has BT 3.

Last edited by Jötunn; 11-18-2021 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-18-2021, 11:31 AM   #749
Renate
Wizard

Battery longevity is so subjective. I've had my Poke3 for half a year and I can't think of a time where I actually needed to charge it. Syncing and developing it gets enough power that I never even look at the battery gauge.

WiFi is the killer for a number of reasons. You would be amazed how much analytics there are in anything that you run on your device. If you have WiFi on the app makers will consider it as free to use to send (literally) every click you make back to the home spaceship. The Kindle case is well known. The NeoReader doesn't seem as bad. This is what I found in the Nook Glow reader just with a grep on "lytics".
Code:
Crashlytics
FirebaseAnalytics
Localytics
OmnitureAnalytics
Nah, it's not paranoia, I just don't want them treating my device/WiFi as if they owned it. Just don't look at the logcat of your cell phone, it will drive you crazy all the crap going on there.

I've done actual current measurements on devices but you have to open them up and interrupt the battery lines. It's a drag.
Old 11-19-2021, 03:55 AM   #750
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Anyway to block it? Could it be done with something as simple as adding the hostname to hosts with 127.0.0.1?
If there is an effective block, could we automate it to check the logcat, generate possible suspects and automatically block / manually toggle to block?

I remember blocking my Samsung TV's call home by blocking a lot of names in my router, but they change it up somewhat over time.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote