Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-28-2009, 07:37 AM   #1
sohumb
sohumb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505
Lockups and boot problems

I've had my reader (505) for a year-ish, love the thing to death. But recently it's started freezing up on random page turns, necessitating a soft reset (and remembering what page it was on, and losing any new bookmarks...).

Then earlier today it wouldn't turn on. I soft-reset it, flicked the power switch. The screen stayed blank and the LED stayed solid orange.

My computer wouldn't recognise it (though the light did turn red). Plugging it in and then unplugging it was the only way to get the light to turn off, and the screen stayed completely blank throughout this.

I was panicking that maybe the display was shot or something when some combination of soft resets and plugging it in and unplugging it and waiting meant that it turned on properly again, and since then it's been working fine.

Any suggestions?
sohumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
When you get a chance, you might want to do a complete reformat of the internal memory (under the settings/advanced settings menu on the 505). This will erase everything on your 505, but if there is some type of corruption in any of the files on it it should help.

Good luck!
dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2009, 05:12 AM   #3
sohumb
sohumb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505
Ok, I did a complete reformat. Since then, it's frozen once, but it automatically soft reset itself. Weird.
sohumb is offline   Reply With Quote