Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2012, 03:05 AM   #1096
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
I can't set mine to less than zero.
Setting it to zero and pressing the down arrow should do it. It doesn't actually change to zero, it gos to "No margin". If that doesn't work, what version of calibre do you have?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #1097
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsegoddess View Post
Basically, every time I connect to my PC and Kobo Desktop is running, after about a minute or so (usually no more than two), the device tab grays out, I get a "Device Write Failed" Windows message, and if I open the Kobo folder from the "My Computer" folder, it's blank. This ONLY happens with Kobo Desktop. So, I can't update that way--but now it appears I can't update via wifi, either.
I have seen a few comments along those lines. I assume that you have tried all the different options of another computer and cable?

Quote:
But back to the problem at hand--more data for you.

I have 30 shelves in total (I'm an admin assistant and an obsessive organiser).

The breakdown looks like this (books per shelf):

The update managed to download some new books I purchased from the Kobo store the other day (apparently they were "first in line"), but then froze right afterward, and it always seems to be on the "Checking for Updates" section.

I may eliminate some of the smaller-number shelves and see if this makes a difference.

Edit: Okay, I got rid of the smaller-number-of-books shelves, and the sync did indeed complete. So, maybe 5 pages of shelves was just too many for it to handle? Anyway, something for the devs to chew on, anyway...
Well, I had over 40 shelves, but there were not as many books. That synced OK. But, I just went overboard I think. I created a shelf for each tag in the library. That was 145 plus the ones that were there already there. At least ten had more that 100 books. I started the sync about three hours ago and it appears to be still going. But, the Touch is still working. I can read a book. But, if I press the gear icon, the window that comes up, shows he sync is still in progress. Unfortunately, I can't tell if the sync is actually doing something. Pity I didn't do this at work because I can monitor the network better there.

Edit:
It came back about 30 minutes later with a network error. Examining the database, it has synced the shelves but not the books on them. I might try again later as I am curious about what they are doing with the database.

Last edited by davidfor; 09-01-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:18 AM   #1098
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Setting it to zero and pressing the down arrow should do it. It doesn't actually change to zero, it gos to "No margin". If that doesn't work, what version of calibre do you have?
0.8.38 linux version - and no, it won't go below zero with the down arrow.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:46 AM   #1099
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
0.8.38 linux version - and no, it won't go below zero with the down arrow.
That explains it. This was added to calibre earlier this year. You will need to update your version of calibre. A lot of good stuff has been added since your version.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #1100
Albertde
Albertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it is

Device: Repurposed Fire 7 &10 epub/pdf reader-Kobo Nia: KOReader & Plato
Thanks to the excellent instructions from Mrs_Often, I was able to update my firmware to 2.1.1 successfully.

My set-up is as follows:
Shelves: 35 (with some books in several shelves and other shelves still empty)

Sideloaded via calibre: 438 (PD downloads & DRM-free purchases)
Bought from Kobo: 65
Previews from Kobo: 76
Total books: 579

Prior to the firmware update, everything was slow (in Dutch we say 'traag').
After the update:
Shelf navigation is fast.
Loading a shelf (even Shortlist) is slow.
Editing a shelf (changing or adding what books are on a shelf) is neither instantaneous or very slow but searching a library to find a book to add is very slow, especially waiting for the first letter or number to appear.
Changing how books on a shelf are displayed (in computer lingo, "sorted") is slow.
Loading a book from a shelf or the Home screen that I am already reading is fast.
Page turns are fast.
Going to Home via Button from either a book, a display of shelves or of books on a shelf is very slow (a matter of minutes). I just pressed the Home Button and I was waiting for about three minutes before the Home Screen appeared. If the developers can't speed it up, it would be nice if the software displayed a "busy doing it" signal to let us know that pressing the button had been registered.

Going back home from a book via the context menu is slow.
Going back to a display of books on a shelf via the context menu is fast.

Re diacritical marks, I am not sure what is meant by that. I can load French and German books using Amasis and I have all the accented letters but I did notice that letters like the s in Asoka were strange. I tried to verify this again but I am not able to right now.
Albertde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #1101
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Quote:
If you delete them using calibre, you should be able to immediately replace them. calibre removes the database records as well as the book and image files. I haven't done this enough to be sure that it working all the time.
I did some checks, all on my SD card.
I had a book on my SD card on my Kobo.
Then I changed the book on my computer and used Calibre to send it to the device again.
Result on Kobo: The book does not show up on the main screen, the book itself is changed, the changes on the TOC are not there.
I don't think the "processing content" screen appeared, hard to tell since my Kobo always stays for ages on the "still connected" screen.

A 2nd test: I connected my Kobo again, then I deleted the book through Calibre, and then I send it to the device again.
Result on Kobo: "processing content" appeared, the book shows up on the main screen and the TOC is changed.

So if you want to be really sure all changes are there you have to delete the book in Calibre first, then resend it to the device. Just to send it to the device is not enough.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #1102
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That explains it. This was added to calibre earlier this year. You will need to update your version of calibre. A lot of good stuff has been added since your version.
Well, that is the latest in the Ubuntu repository.

So - I had to manually install the new one using the python script from the calibre site. I installed it over the top of the Ubuntu installed one (which is in /usr/share not the default /opt) but happily it seems to be working, and I have my margins set to "no margin".

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #1103
RickyB
Enthusiast
RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
A warning ... don't go near this update still if you're in Australia.

After the horrible experience when 2.0.0 was first released (requiring a factory reset, loss of all books and stats) I though I'd give it another go when my KT said as update was available.

Well, when will I learn... I ended up with 2.0.0 - not 2.1.1. The result: opening any book resulted in a blank screen and after a few seconds, an automatic restart. Paper clip reset had no effect.

OK I thought, I've read 2.1.1 instructions on this forum. Load this, and then the KT sits on the Updating screen.

Another Factory Reset.............

We were at the parents yesterday. They love reading. Would I recommend a KT? No, not while these updates obviously have QA issues.
RickyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:17 AM   #1104
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Strange how we are all getting different results with 2.1.1, must be something to do with hardware levels and how and what you load the Kobo with.

I just use Calibre to load epubs onto an SD card and have had no problems at all.

Steve
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #1105
jusmee
Wizard

Ricky, you can't extrapolate that the 2.1.1 firmware is no good at all, from just one personal experience.

... and why would you try new firmware when you are away from your computer and unable to restore everything if something goes wrong?

(from one of the many who find 2.1.1 to be the best firmware so far)
Old 09-02-2012, 07:51 AM   #1106
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
A warning ... don't go near this update still if you're in Australia.

After the horrible experience when 2.0.0 was first released (requiring a factory reset, loss of all books and stats) I though I'd give it another go when my KT said as update was available.

Well, when will I learn... I ended up with 2.0.0 - not 2.1.1. The result: opening any book resulted in a blank screen and after a few seconds, an automatic restart. Paper clip reset had no effect.

OK I thought, I've read 2.1.1 instructions on this forum. Load this, and then the KT sits on the Updating screen.

Another Factory Reset.............

We were at the parents yesterday. They love reading. Would I recommend a KT? No, not while these updates obviously have QA issues.
The reason you didn't get 2.1.1 was it is not an officially supported update. Someone found the direct link and posted it here. So far it's only been released in Japan. Kobo's QA can't be blamed in that situation. There maybe good reason why we don't have it yet and some people are finding that out. As well we've seen that people have had different experiences with the manual install. Some have worked well, others not so much. 2.0.0 was definitely a misstep by Kobo but it I'm sure they're working to put it right. There's been no ereader I know of that's had the perfect firmware.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #1107
roycymru
Connoisseur
roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

What is the missing step in the Manual Update Process?

The concensus seems to be, that to do a manual update you:

1- Download the latest firmware update Zip file
2- Connect your Kobo reader
3- Unzip the Zip file to Kobo's .Kobo directory, eject the Kobo, disconnect it and the update will start.

However, in my experience, for this to work fully you must
  • First go to Settings, Device Information, and press Factory Reset.
  • After the Reset, reconnect your Kobo, Login into your Kobo Account where it will update yor Kobo to the latest Official Firmware release.
  • Then, Unzip the "unofficial" Zip file to Kobo's .Kobo directory, eject the Kobo and disconnect it so the update can start.

The big downside of this, is that a factory reset will result in your books etc. being lost.

I find if I don't do the above, the manual update appears to work and the Kobo will say it is Updating, but after the Update the Version number doesn't change when you look in Device Information, you don't get the message to say the Kobo has update to the latest version of the software and you can run into other issues e.g. Missing Fonts. (Even though if you check what files/folders are in the .Kobo directory, they are the latest unzipped ones).

Therefore I suspect (but could be wrong) that when an official update is released and the Kobo Software updates your Kobo something else happens e.g. a script is run and/or some existing folders/files are deleted before the new folders/files are installed?

Does anyone concur and if so, have any ideas what the missing step/process is?
roycymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #1108
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Never had a problem with updates manual or OTA. The firmware itself on the other hand....
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #1109
scoobertron
Connoisseur
scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo touch
I have never had a problem with manual firmware updates, and I have gone backwards and forwards a few times recently before 2.1.1 came out to try and find a favorite, sometimes trying several in a day.

That said, I exclusively use sideloaded epubs, so my use case might be unusual. I don't know if e.g. the database gets annoyed if you futz around too much with firmware versions.
scoobertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #1110
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobertron View Post
I have never had a problem with manual firmware updates, and I have gone backwards and forwards a few times recently before 2.1.1 came out to try and find a favorite, sometimes trying several in a day.
Do you go to the lengths described by @roycymru a couple of posts back? i.e. doing a factory reset before updating
Woodstonian is offline   Reply With Quote