Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-03-2020, 07:22 AM   #1
MOJOJE
MOJOJE began at the beginning.

Device: none
count pages, change author & title to all caps

Good morning,

My laptop crashed and has just been repaired. In the process I lost my Calibre Library, all settings and most unfortunately over 800 books. However I do see where the laptop did retain the library.

I need to know how to set a column to Count pages. Also I would like to be able to change all titles to upper case as well as the author. I previously had this option under "bulk convert", but since I lost everything previous set up the way I liked it I cannot do any of this.

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
MOJOJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:43 AM   #2
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOJOJE View Post
Good morning,

My laptop crashed and has just been repaired. In the process I lost my Calibre Library, all settings and most unfortunately over 800 books. However I do see where the laptop did retain the library.

I need to know how to set a column to Count pages. Also I would like to be able to change all titles to upper case as well as the author. I previously had this option under "bulk convert", but since I lost everything previous set up the way I liked it I cannot do any of this.

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
1. To set up a page count column, first right-click on the column headers and go to "Add your own columns." Then add an integer column. I call mine #pagecount. Restart Calibre.

Then go to Preferences (Ctrl+P if it's not visible on toolbar) and Plugins and Get New Plugins. Search for Count Pages. Install it in the toolbar or right-click menu, whichever is easier for you. Restart Calibre and the button/menu will appear and you can check out its options and define a pagecount column. (Make sure not to accidentally set wordcount to the same column too, I've done that before.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-07-03 10_43_51-Customize Count Pages.png
Views:	175
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	180357

2. Changing title to upper-case is still available via bulk metadata:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-07-03 10_41_23-Edit meta information.png
Views:	157
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	180352

It can also be done in individual metadata by right-clicking the field and using the option in "Change case..." submenu.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 07-03-2020 at 09:45 AM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2020, 10:17 AM   #3
Horus68
Zealot
Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOJOJE View Post
However I do see where the laptop did retain the library.
So you have a folder with the old library? Does it have a file "metadata.db" ?

Then you should start by opening that folder as a Calibre library to see what you have actually lost (probably you only need to install plugins and make some software wide settings, as the library settings are still in the old library folder "metadata.db"):
Click the library button in Calibre:
- Switch/Create library...
- New location (enter the path to the old ebook folder)
- set: "Use the previously existing library at the new location"
Done

Note: the count pages is a custom column so it should be in the old library, maybe you only have to install the plugin "Count Pages" to automate the count)

Last edited by Horus68; 07-03-2020 at 10:22 AM.
Horus68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:21 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
IF your Library is intact (metadata.db and all, all you need to do is configure the plugin to use the (still) existing columns.
Most PI store their configs in the Calibre Configuration folder, all the data is per Library. (Note taht some PI do keep some configs in the metadata.db because they are Library specific) keep a backup of you config folder. when you restor, you will just get a notice you PI's may be (really) out of date and you simply update those as usual.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:37 PM   #5
MOJOJE

Thanks everyone for your help. It worked out great. What I am now looking for is previously I had the option to bulk convert author name and also title to all caps using a string command in the Search and Replace tab in the Bulk Convert selection under the Edit Metadata button. Someone from this group had previously provided this information to me, it might possibly have been "theducks" but I am not sure. Can anyone help me with this please.
Advert
Old 07-03-2020, 11:50 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
There is a tick box to change the Title's case in the MDE (bulk mode). Tou then get to choose HOW once it has been ticked
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:17 PM   #7
MOJOJE

Everything is working great except the Search and Replace function when working in the Edit Metadata In Bulk. Someone previously helped me with this quite a few years ago, but I can't seem to find the thread on any of my posts. All I am wanting to do is select all books I want to use in the Edit Metadata in Bulk, go the Search and Replace tab, select a command "AUTHOR UPPER" and all authors' names be changed to uppercase. I have a hard time seeing the names if they are not in all caps. Any help would be greatly appreciated. For some reason I can't attach a screenshot I have saved on the computer as an example to help explain what I am looking to do.