Notices

Old 11-29-2023, 08:03 AM   #1
TonyJamesSlater
Occasional Idiot
TonyJamesSlater began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Difficulty transferring highlights

Hi folks!

I've got an email from a nice lady who is trying to send me a bunch of editing notes on one of my books. She uses Calibre to make the highlights, and has sent me the book file in .azw3 format.
I can't find the highlights anywhere, and as far as I can tell, it's not possible to send them that way.
Is that correct?

If so, is there any way she can send me a copy of the book with her notes/highlights attached? I read in the Calibre 5.0 documentation that "Highlights are stored directly in the EPUB file for easy sharing" - does this mean she could convert the file to EPUB and that would maintain the highlights for me? I've tested this myself, highlighting a chunk, then re-converting the file to EPUB, deleting the original and re-importing the new version, but the test highlights I made are still missing...
Is this possible at all?
And if so, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance, folks!

Tony
TonyJamesSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 08:36 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
sadly no. azw3 doesnt support saving of highlights. you need to make the highlights in an epub book, if you do simply sending the epub file will share the highlights.

One way you could transfer the highlights assuming you are willing to do a little work is create new empty calibre library copy the book with the highlights to the new library. Then send the whole library folder to the other party. The other party should open that library folder as a library in calibre and then the highlights will be present, in the book in the newly opened library, because highlights are saved in the library database.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2023, 08:50 AM   #3
TonyJamesSlater
Occasional Idiot
TonyJamesSlater began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Ahhh! Thanks mate, that makes sense. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me! I'm a big fan of Calibre, been using it since 2011
Best wishes,
Tony
TonyJamesSlater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, highlights, import/export