Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 01:23 AM   #1
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Canadians--advantages of a flash install?

I was one of those weird folks who had problems with locked content. After going back and forth with the Kobo help team and not coming up with a solution, I took my Kobo to Chapters and had them flash it.

It solved the problem (something a reinstall of the update [and many other proposed fixes] didn't do). More then that, there are some other good things that came out of it.

This flash install seems to have improved the page numbering issues. Now, at the bottom of each page, the page number I am on, and the total pages in the book show up. So, for example, I am on page 42 of an 850 page book right now. If I go to the menu, I can go to each chapter individually. I do not get one of those annoying Chapter end pages each time I go from one chapter to the next as I read.

The books were, of course, gone after the flash and I had to sync. Although all my books were loaded again, the ones that were open before the flash were bookmarked at the right place after I did the sync.

Chapters also gave me a coupon for a free Kobo download. It is apparently something they are supposed to do after they do the OS update.There were only three eligible books, but one of them (The Passage) was one I wanted to read.

In addition, my lovely Chapter's store gave me a $10 gift card for all the trouble I had gone to. It is good at the store or on the Chapter's website (not on the Kobo site).

It was well worth my while to drive to Chapters and letting them flash my Kobo.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:30 AM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
A great result and one update method I would love to see available in Australia.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 03:05 AM   #3
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
A great result and one update method I would love to see available in Australia.
And all over the world.
SD cards are not geographically specific animals. They may
live and be happy even in Australia, spite sharks and the
sand. What stops the rest of users to get the method none
had any problem so far?
My point? Please, make SD card upgrade default one and
remove clouds of misery from above our heads.
Best regards.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One thing to note: book purchased AFTER the flashing had the page numbering and chapter handling improvements I mentioned earlier, and even text justification. Books I had purchased prior to the flashing did not. Deleting the books and downloading them again could change that, I suppose.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
Gedvondur
Gedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to behold

Do you think that if I ask nicely, the people at Chapters may let me make a copy of their card?
Gedvondur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm a bit confused, what is Flashing?
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedvondur View Post
Do you think that if I ask nicely, the people at Chapters may let me make a copy of their card?
I assume Kobo issues the image. So Kobo should spread
it using any of zillions of internet ways to do that.
If on Kobo's account, I prefer blonds having SD card in
hands.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
I could be wrong but I don't think the page count issue was fixed by flashing, some ePubs I have display the page count of the whole book instead of chapter, it was like this before the update too. I updated my Kobo using the Desktop update method.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:40 PM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I think it may be a flash thing because my husband has the same books on his Kobo that was updated at home (not flashed at Chapters) and those books do NOT have the page numbering and justification that I have on the my (flashed) Kobo. Then again, I installed the new books on my Kobo using ADE and he just did a sync.

In any case, I did not have correct page numbering on the 15 books purchased pre-flash and all four purchased post flash are good for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPenguin View Post
I could be wrong but I don't think the page count issue was fixed by flashing, some ePubs I have display the page count of the whole book instead of chapter, it was like this before the update too. I updated my Kobo using the Desktop update method.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #10
HarryH
Enthusiast
HarryH began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Version 1 firmware v 1.8.3
SD update

It appears that the SD card does a better upgrade , if this is the case why can't we have a copy of the files to do our own

Harry
HarryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:14 AM   #11
zoran
himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH View Post
SD update

It appears that the SD card does a better upgrade , if this is the case why can't we have a copy of the files to do our own

Harry
That is something that simply cannot be explained.
I understand that we are in 80s, early 90s, so we
have to wait for mailman. 2010? What could be told
for hiding the method that did not fail.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:29 AM   #12
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Sameer

There is a growing request for the SD upgrade option.

Can Kobo please provide an upgrade image that can be DL'ed and copied to an SD card for upgrading the Kobo?

Seems much less of a hassle than USB upgrades.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:53 AM   #13
zoran
himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
There is a growing request for the SD upgrade option.

Can Kobo please provide an upgrade image that can be DL'ed and copied to an SD card for upgrading the Kobo?

Seems much less of a hassle than USB upgrades.
Tried to connect the guy, no answer.
To me it seems that the major problem is that directory tree
would be exposed to eyes of the community. One could simply
delete compressed books preloaded on the device. Other might
remove some options and add something to fstab. My reaction
is "so what". As linux, source has to be shown anyway.
Good tutorial to make exactly the same SD card is must. I
opt for smaller cards, not 4gb, but 2gb instead. One option
could be to make complete image for dd to the medium. Another
to make file system by the hand and then untar or whatever.
What other souls think on the topic?
Old 07-23-2010, 02:21 AM   #14
gmos
gmos began at the beginning.

I've asked for a download link several times with Kobo support - sometimes it seems an option, other times they've avoided the question. I've also raised the question a couple of times in other threads on this forum.

Had my Kobo for nearly 2 weeks, and had it 'bricked' for almost all of that time : not happy at all. May demand refund and wait for the Kogan Reader http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/ebook-r...-e-ink-screen/ .

If the source code must be made available under the GPL requirements, then there is no reason to be so reluctant to provide the binaries as well!

Every other piece of equipment that I've upgraded the firmware on has a download link - can't see what the problem is.
gmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:06 AM   #15
zoran
himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmos View Post
I've asked for a download link several times with Kobo support - sometimes it seems an option, other times they've avoided the question. I've also raised the question a couple of times in other threads on this forum.

If the source code must be made available under the GPL requirements, then there is no reason to be so reluctant to provide the binaries as well!

Every other piece of equipment that I've upgraded the firmware on has a download link - can't see what the problem is.
I think I know what it is.
For some reason they decided to upgrade from ext3 formatted SD card.
If let stay native (vfat or however you call it), any user might copy files
and be happy. I might be wrong.
Keeping community out of possibility to make the best upgrade, which
so far had none to complain, is really strange.