Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-11-2016, 01:41 PM   #376
Ephemerality
Addict
Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Edit: ninjaed...
Ephemerality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:19 PM   #377
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Another new error:

Code:
Book's Amazon page URL: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BEH39ZQ
Book found on Amazon!
Gathering recommended book metadata...
An error occurred finding related book list page on Amazon.com (they might not list any).
Continuing without them.
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:20 PM   #378
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephemerality View Post
Not sure; sounds like an issue on the newer firmware/devices if anything. On my PW1 I can replace the X-Ray without issue (as long as the book was closed before I do it). I have no way of testing it on anything newer
I haven't tried closing the book first, will give it a go. Out of interest, what does the achieve?
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:14 PM   #379
Ephemerality
Addict
Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
Another new error:
Code:
Book's Amazon page URL: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BEH39ZQ
Book found on Amazon!
Gathering recommended book metadata...
An error occurred finding related book list page on Amazon.com (they might not list any).
Continuing without them.
That one's normal; not all books on Amazon have a list of related books. I'll edit the error to make that clearer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
I haven't tried closing the book first, will give it a go. Out of interest, what does the achieve?
The new X-Ray format is an SQLite database versus the old format which was just a text file with a JSON object that was opened when you hit the X-Ray button.
I can't say for sure how the newer versions handle it, but it's possible that the database is getting left open while the book is open, causing issues when it tries to suddenly use a new one.
Closing the book should close the database connection, I would hope. At the very least, a reboot. I can't think of any other reason you'd have to completely remove the book from the Kindle and re-add it.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:40 AM   #380
skillszone
skillszone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Yeah that's the problem, you would have to put it on the Kindle via USB either manually or through the transfer-to-device option in Calibre.
When you do the email option, the metadata on the book gets changed.
Ok. Thanks for the quick response.
skillszone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #381
HawkJacq
HawkJacq began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019
New One Questions...

Good Day,

First of all I would like to congratulate about this outstanding application and the effort put on it. This is my first post but I have spent days reading your posts.

Some weeks ago, I bought my first Kindle, Voyage version, and although I am not a great reader I have really enjoyed it and the first fears about buying something expensive that I would not use, quickly disappeared because I have used it a lot.

A few days ago I discovered Calibre,learned how to use it, and know I finally built my first X-Ray for a book. I wasnt easy but its done. From this first experience, I would like to bother with some questions:

1.- The X-Ray Builder showed and error with the Chapters. If you open the file with the the Notepad its empty. How do you create Chapters? I saw the post info, but what is "Name", "Start" and "End"?

2.- Goodreads have only 9 characters of the book for which I created X-Ray. But in the last pages of the book there is a list of all characters that appear in the book. I was mistaken, because I believed that adding all that names in the "Alias" File, would make them appear in the X - Ray structure. But that didnt happened. The same 9 were showed even I populated the Alias File with more than 30. Is there a way to add more characters to the data given by Goodreads so as to make them appear in the X - Ray structure? I am interested in that information due to the fact that in books with lots of characters, X - Ray is very useful to remember a name read some time ago.

3.- My mother languaje is spanish. Even though I have no problem with English Books, I prefer to read Spanish versions. I own a very famous saga of Books in paper version and english languaje. Now I have it in my Kindle in spanish from a Spain Editor. The problem is that Spain tends to change the characters names trying to translate them. So, the names of the english version are different compared with the Spanish one. Is it posible, to use the Alias File to put the Spanish names next to its English names, so as to make X-Ray work properly considering that Goodreads use the English version?

Thanks for your time and effort...
HawkJacq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:42 PM   #382
Ephemerality
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkJacq View Post
1.- The X-Ray Builder showed and error with the Chapters. If you open the file with the the Notepad its empty. How do you create Chapters? I saw the post info, but what is "Name", "Start" and "End"?
I had intended to create a video on the chapters file, but I never even finished the one for aliases. I might throw together some screenshots or something if I get a chance.
Basically, the name is just the name of the chapter (Chapter 1, or whatever other name it might have), start is the location that the chapter starts within the file, and end is the location where it ends.
I normally use Notepad++ to grab the locations. I look for the chapter in the book, place the cursor there, then highlight from that point back to the beginning of the book and the "Sel" value on the bottom bar of N++ is the offset.

Quote:
Is there a way to add more characters to the data given by Goodreads so as to make them appear in the X - Ray structure?
Yeah, the aliases only apply to characters that can be located in the data source (Goodreads, XML, txt, etc).
Previously you could just edit Shelfari to add any characters, but now with the shift to Goodreads it's not an option. You have a couple options:
  • Hit the 'Save Goodreads Info to XML' button, which will export the existing data to the xml folder. You can then modify it to add your characters. I'm not sure how technical you are, you'd have to know a bit about XML to make sure you follow the correct format.
  • Create a .txt file with the characters and descriptions. Example format for that:
    Code:
    Character
    John Smith
    Description of John Smith
    Character
    Sam Smith
    Description of Sam Smith
    etc
    Keeping in mind that the word 'Character' needs to precede each one
In both cases, you would then set the source button to File and choose your file.

Quote:
Is it posible, to use the Alias File to put the Spanish names next to its English names, so as to make X-Ray work properly considering that Goodreads use the English version?
If you keep using Goodreads as a source, you can use the alias file so it will match the Spanish version of a name (eg Peter|Pedro). It wouldn't show up in the character descriptions (it would still show the English form), though.
However, if you go the XML/TXT file route, you can put the names in their Spanish form there. Since it wouldn't be using Goodreads anymore, the builder wouldn't know about the English ones at all!

Quote:
Thanks for your time and effort...
Thank YOU for making use of the program!
Old 07-15-2016, 02:40 PM   #383
HawkJacq

Good Day,

Sorry to bother again...I was wrong about a "success" in creating X-Ray File...That is only partially right. I noticed two problems...

1.- The first one is not so complicated... I have tested with two books and made more than 15 X-Rays for each of them, testing different options...50% of that attemps I get the X-Ray button (upper left side of the Kindle) but if I press the button (touch it) it highlight but nothing else happens... I mean...the X-Ray screen doesnt show up. All last Tests have resulted in the inhability to enter X-Ray button and I dont understand what I have changed.

2.- This problem is a disaster...I realized that only the first X-Ray screen works. I mean, it shows the Goodreads Characters and the number of times they appear in the book. But if you press a name so as to enter the mentions, nothing happens and the book hangs up, only be able to get out by pressing the Home Button. But then, entering the Book again and pressing the X-Ray Button yields no result, I mean after that hung up, you cannot enter X-Ray again. The only way is to Restart the Device.

During the process of building the X-Ray no error is shown, only the Authors Biography which is not found. Moreover, I use the Metadata and ANSI Amazon Number from the English version even noting that the book is the Spanish Version. The Book appears in Amazon Spain, but the X-Ray Builder doesnt accept that ID. Maybe there is a problem using an Spanish Version with English Metadata?

Quote:
I had intended to create a video on the chapters file, but I never even finished the one for aliases. I might throw together some screenshots or something if I get a chance.
Basically, the name is just the name of the chapter (Chapter 1, or whatever other name it might have), start is the location that the chapter starts within the file, and end is the location where it ends.
I normally use Notepad++ to grab the locations. I look for the chapter in the book, place the cursor there, then highlight from that point back to the beginning of the book and the "Sel" value on the bottom bar of N++ is the offset.
After solving the problems I mentioned I will give it a try...

Quote:
Yeah, the aliases only apply to characters that can be located in the data source (Goodreads, XML, txt, etc).
Previously you could just edit Shelfari to add any characters, but now with the shift to Goodreads it's not an option. You have a couple options:
  • Hit the 'Save Goodreads Info to XML' button, which will export the existing data to the xml folder. You can then modify it to add your characters. I'm not sure how technical you are, you'd have to know a bit about XML to make sure you follow the correct format.
  • Create a .txt file with the characters and descriptions. Example format for that:
    Code:
    Character
    John Smith
    Description of John Smith
    Character
    Sam Smith
    Description of Sam Smith
    etc
    Keeping in mind that the word 'Character' needs to precede each one
In both cases, you would then set the source button to File and choose your file.
I must admit that it isnt my area of expertise, but thats the most funny part...learn how to do this things...Its a way to relax...I only bought my first Kindle two weeks ago, I am learning lots of things from Calibre, your Post and the forum...

Quote:
If you keep using Goodreads as a source, you can use the alias file so it will match the Spanish version of a name (eg Peter|Pedro). It wouldn't show up in the character descriptions (it would still show the English form), though.
However, if you go the XML/TXT file route, you can put the names in their Spanish form there. Since it wouldn't be using Goodreads anymore, the builder wouldn't know about the English ones at all!
I understand what you mean

Quote:
Thank YOU for making use of the program!
No...I am the one to give the thanks for YOUR time and SUPPORT....

Thanks again...
Old 07-15-2016, 03:05 PM   #384
Ephemerality
Addict

Quote:
The first one is not so complicated... I have tested with two books and made more than 15 X-Rays for each of them, testing different options...50% of that attemps I get the X-Ray button (upper left side of the Kindle) but if I press the button (touch it) it highlight but nothing else happens... I mean...the X-Ray screen doesnt show up. All last Tests have resulted in the inhability to enter X-Ray button and I dont understand what I have changed.
Not sure what might be causing that. I don't have a Voyage but gers1978 reported similar sorted of issues, saying that removing the book and putting it back on each time fixes it. I would think that just ensuring the book is closed before loading a new X-Ray on would be enough to do it, but that's just a guess.

Quote:
I realized that only the first X-Ray screen works. I mean, it shows the Goodreads Characters and the number of times they appear in the book. But if you press a name so as to enter the mentions, nothing happens and the book hangs up, only be able to get out by pressing the Home Button. But then, entering the Book again and pressing the X-Ray Button yields no result, I mean after that hung up, you cannot enter X-Ray again. The only way is to Restart the Device.
That one's really weird, I haven't heard of anyone having that much trouble loading it. Was the book open when you put the new X-Ray on? I'm wondering if something is getting stuck open or if there is just a problem with the X-Ray database that was built.

Quote:
During the process of building the X-Ray no error is shown, only the Authors Biography which is not found. Moreover, I use the Metadata and ANSI Amazon Number from the English version even noting that the book is the Spanish Version. The Book appears in Amazon Spain, but the X-Ray Builder doesnt accept that ID. Maybe there is a problem using an Spanish Version with English Metadata?
I think I might have to see the book and what metadata you have on it. If you want, you can upload the book and a sample X-Ray you've made then PM me a link and I can investigate (and also test the X-Ray on my kindle). If you use the ASIN from Amazon Spain and set the builder to that region, it should find it but the different regions feature is new and not tested so it might just be broken.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:06 PM   #385
HawkJacq

Quote:
I think I might have to see the book and what metadata you have on it. If you want, you can upload the book and a sample X-Ray you've made then PM me a link and I can investigate (and also test the X-Ray on my kindle). If you use the ASIN from Amazon Spain and set the builder to that region, it should find it but the different regions feature is new and not tested so it might just be broken.
I appreciate your quick answer. Even though I will try your suggestions, I sent a PM to you with more Background...

Thanks Again...
Old 07-17-2016, 05:20 PM   #386
Ephemerality
Addict

Here's what I've found:
Quote:
if you press a name so as to enter the mentions, nothing happens and the book hangs up, only be able to get out by pressing the Home Button
This seems to be happening when a character has a blank description, so I have added "No description available" text when one is not available and it seems to be working. A new version of the app (g) has been uploaded to fix that.

Quote:
I use the Metadata and ANSI Amazon Number from the English version even noting that the book is the Spanish Version. The Book appears in Amazon Spain, but the X-Ray Builder doesnt accept that ID. Maybe there is a problem using an Spanish Version with English Metadata?
The connection with Amazon won't affect the X-Ray, but it changes how the author profile and start/end actions will be built. I used the Amazon Spain ASIN (B006H2O704) and set the builder to Spain. No author page was located on the ES page so it fell back to US for the author, then used the ES page to build the rest and that seemed to work fine. You should still be ok to use the US ASIN, but the main thing is changing the Region setting in the builder.

The chapters weren't being detected because they are called "capitulo", which I suppose I should look into as far as supporting multiple languages. The new version will at least detect chapters for this book.

I also noticed that you had an alias for "Rodrigo Borgia" that was just "Vi" which might have also caused some issues (as well as a space before 'Borgia' in one). There is an issue with the builder matching whole words that I need to work on. Short words like 'Vi' will end up matching many incorrect places such as 'visita' and 'evidente'.

For the issues with getting the X-Ray to open after putting a new one on the Kindle, I updated my firmware and started experiencing the same thing. Sometimes it would display an error, sometimes it just wouldn't open the X-Ray at all.
By opening a different book, then going back to the one I'm working with, it seemed to let me open the X-Ray again. Seems like the database isn't getting closed properly, even when the book is closed.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:11 PM   #387
HawkJacq

Quote:
Here's what I've found:

This seems to be happening when a character has a blank description, so I have added "No description available" text when one is not available and it seems to be working. A new version of the app (g) has been uploaded to fix that.

Dear Ephemerality,

I really appreciate your help, time and work. I understand your conclusions and commentaries. I will test taking them into account. Only one question...you mentions a versión "g" being uploaded. Where can I find that version? Or are you still working on it?

Best Regards...
Old 07-18-2016, 02:37 PM   #388
Ephemerality
Addict

Quote:
Dear Ephemerality,

I really appreciate your help, time and work. I understand your conclusions and commentaries. I will test taking them into account. Only one question...you mentions a versión "g" being uploaded. Where can I find that version? Or are you still working on it?

Best Regards...
Oops! I uploaded it but forgot to save the post It's on the first post in this thread now.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:03 PM   #389
HawkJacq

Quote:
Oops! I uploaded it but forgot to save the post It's on the first post in this thread now.
Now I see it..THANKS A LOT.... I will make some test today...

Best Regards...
Old 07-20-2016, 12:19 AM   #390
HawkJacq

Quote:
Here's what I've found:

Dear Ephemerality,

After two days of testing version "g" with the same Book I mentioned via PM, I reached several conclusions and questions.

1.- Now the Chapters work fine. Thanks for that.

2.- Sadly enough, I tried more than 15 times with version "g", changing lot of variables (options in your program, options in Calibre, start from cero, etc) with no success. All the procedure worked fine, without errors (only the author one) but X-Ray button doesnt worked after pressing it and nothing appeared.

3.- What solved the problem was the metadata setting. As the book is in Spanish I tried to use all variables in Spanish. I always used Amazon.com English Metadata due to the fact that it was the only way X-Ray Builder doesnt warn about ANSI Code because Spanish Version doesnt have that ANSI Number. I decided to bypass all the Warnings of your program, set Amazon Spain in your options and also set Spain in Calibre Options, getting Spanish Metadata for the book. Even though X-Ray Builder warned me about invalid ANSI Number, it finished the procedure and that was the only way X-Ray was showed properly. Of course I started all from the begining, even converting the original book with Calibre. You were right saying that X-Ray Builder by itself search for info in English version if it doesnt find it in the Spanish one. Again, in my ignorance about your great work, I still have the doubt if there is some kind of problem with mixing Spanish Books with metadata or options in English.

4.- My next step was to learn how to include all Characters of the Book using a Text File. As you may have noticed about the Book I was working with, in the last pages there is a complete list of Characters with a brief description about them. So I Copy-Paste the List in the Text File and gave the Structure you explained ("Character" Line, the name below, and the description below). I used X - Ray Builder with that file, and it was a Complete Success. All Characters were showed in X - Ray, with the description I included and number of mentions to the right of the Name.

5.- Even though what I mentioned in Number 4 was a success, I came with two problems. The Spanish accent (´) in names (Ex: "Capitán") was showed with a small question mark ("Capit?n") so no match appeared about that Book Character. So I erased all accents ("Capitan" instedad of "Capitán") and tried. To my surprise it seems that X-Ray Builder doesnt consider accents because even if it was "Capitan" instead of "Capitán", X-Ray showed the name correctly and also the mentions.

6.- The Aliases were another problem but I fear it has no solution. In a Book you may have this Characters:"Enzo Thorton", "Enzo Saliere" and "Enzo Cordi". If in each of them you use "Enzo" as Alias, you get Mixed mentions. I mean,for example, "Enzo Thorton" shows mentions of himself but also of Saliere and Cordi. The same for "Enzo Saliere" and "Enzo Cordi". The solution is not to use the Alias "Enzo". But if you do so, you will loose mentions of each Character due to the fact that you not always call, for example, "Enzo Saliere" by "Enzo Saliere"...it can be called many time only as "Enzo" and the same things goes for "Thorton" and "Cordi". The same can happen with brothers and sisters...As I see, and I beg you to correct me if that is no true, there is no way to solve this... Or you get mixed mentions for Characters with same names, or you get less mentions if you use only their Complete names. From my point of view it isnt a great problem and I prefer mixed mentions that I can discard after reading, instead of less of them.

7.- The Third Tab in X-Ray, the one that in my Kindle is called "Términos" (maybe "Terms" in English) sometimes shows "There was an error". In my last test it only appeared "there is no one found" in the actual page and in the Book. What is the purpose of this Tab? Can be edited?

8.- Analysing a book in English I bought from Amazon.com I noticed in X-Ray an additional Tab called "Images" in which screenshots of the Book were shown. I suppose this isnt implemented in X-Ray Builder but I believe is not a bad option with books (specially fantasy ones) that shows a Map in the first pages, as a way to quicky access to that Map.

9.- Is there a way to Edit Author Biography so as to avoid the Error shown in X-Ray Builder when is working?

10.- When I started the book (the very first time), it showed the Goodread info box about the Book and its configuration. It seems that even using a text file for characters in X-Ray Builder (and no marking the Goodread option) it uses info from Goodreads. It seems I wrongly assumed that the text file bypasses Goodreads.

Well, I am going to work with another book, to see if it has similar results. I will mix Spanish Book with English metadata to see if X-Ray doesnt work again, and then I will use Spanish Metadata. I am also going to create a text file after searching for the Characters in the Web.

Thanks for your time and patient reading all my stuff. I also sent a PM with the files used in my final test.

Best Regards...

Last edited by HawkJacq; 07-20-2016 at 02:37 PM.

Tags
x-ray