Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #31
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
This means I need to flash mmcblk0p1 to my main partition as I described some posts before?
Is this the correct post?
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:08 AM   #32
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Although losetup does work, it may be simpler to just use mount and umount as described in many posts in many threads.

Adding losetup to the mix will just confuse people.
Running fsck on a mounted filesystem is much more likely to corrupt the filesystem.

I woud go for a description of the pitfalls in both choices, let the user shoot themselves in their own choice of foot (left or right). Much better than making the choice for the end-user without mention that alternatives exist.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #33
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Running fsck on a mounted filesystem is much more likely to corrupt the filesystem.

I woud go for a description of the pitfalls in both choices, let the user shoot themselves in their own choice of foot (left or right). Much better than making the choice for the end-user without mention that alternatives exist.
When running diags SSH, the mmcblk0p1 filesystem is not mounted, so it is safe to check or repair it with fsck. Also, it is safe to check a mounted filesystem with the "-n" parameter (no repair), as I showed in my example.

If you try to repair a mounted filesystem, you *should* get a severe warning that you will probably corrupt it if you choose to continue.

I prefer checking the image file instead of the filesystem, just so that there is no chance of corruption of a partition.

EDIT: I am not making any choice for the end user. I am just showing a way that worked for me. If people want to do other stuff (including potentially dangerous stuff), that is their choice to make, not mine or yours. Suggesting untested alternatives only adds to the confusion. I want to keep things simple. I try to provide solutions that I have tested on DX/DXG/K3/K4/K5. Suggesting things that only work on specific firmware versions when a simple "universal" solution exists only adds to the confusion. Suggesting things that have not even been tested on a kindle adds to the confusion. The Signal-to-Noise-Ratio is low enough already. Let's not make it worse. Please...

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-29-2012 at 09:40 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #34
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
To prevent running out of loop devices, be sure to add "-d" to umount (or losetup) when unmounting loop devices.
Not a concern since May 8, 2007:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...aa88f8490f2626
Which is approximately v2.6.22

Prior to that, there was a maximum limit set at compile time.
Builders choice 1 .. 256, but often only 8.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #35
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It seems I can't download mmcblk0p1-kt-5.0.0.img!
It keeps stopping at 216MB (three times...)!
Kindle god hates me!
Old 05-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #36
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not a concern since May 8, 2007:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...aa88f8490f2626
Which is approximately v2.6.22

Prior to that, there was a maximum limit set at compile time.
Builders choice 1 .. 256, but often only 8.
Except that the kindles DO run out of loop devices (at least the K3 and earlier). Then you need to reboot to do any more loop mounts.

And even it you wanted to use more loop devices, you would have to at least create the devices. The kindles do not have many loop devices pre-defined. Just adding a bunch more loop devices seems silly, when you could just add "-d" to the umount to free the loop device when you are done using it, instead of making it a zombie device so you keep needing to use a new one.

EDIT: We need to SIMPLIFY things. Suggesting untested alternative methods to replace known working methods makes it more complicated, especially when those alternatives have side-effects and complications.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-29-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #37
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
It seems I can't download mmcblk0p1-kt-5.0.0.img!
It keeps stopping at 216MB (three times...)!
Kindle god hates me!
Did you use a download manager?

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-29-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #38
silver18
THE NOOB

No! I tried (Jdownloader) but it says link if offline (i.e. it doesn't like it!!).
Therefore I'm directly downloading it (for the fourth time right now)...
Old 05-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #39
geekmaster

Quote:
No! I tried (Jdownloader) but it says link if offline (i.e. it doesn't like it!!).
Try downloading the 5.0.1 compressed image from the same gitbrew forensics folder. It is a LOT smaller. The "matching" kernel for firmware versions 5.0.0 through 5.0.3 was the 5.0.0 kernel. The kernel did not get updated until 5.0.4.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #40
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
"directly downloading it" - I assume you mean using a web browser's "save link" feature.

Is this Firefox? Do you have the DownThemAll plug-in installed?
If yes - don't use it.

Otherwise - a bit more detail of what you are using (software and OS) might help us, help you.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #41
silver18
THE NOOB

You mean this one: mmcblk0p2_ssh-kt-5.0.1.img.gz??
I must treat it in the same way (i.e:this way)?
Sorry to be so insistent....
Old 05-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #42
silver18
THE NOOB

Quote:
"directly downloading it" - I assume you mean using a web browser's "save link" feature.

Is this Firefox? Do you have the DownThemAll plug-in installed?
If yes - don't use it.

Otherwise - a bit more detail of what you are using (software and OS) might help us, help you.
I use Chrome on WinXP s.p 3. No addons: just click on file and download starts...
Old 05-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #43
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I use Chrome on WinXP s.p 3. No addons: just click on file and download starts...
Chrome I have but rarely use.
WinXP? Duh, What is that? Some sort of personal computer O.S.?
Old 05-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #44
silver18
THE NOOB

Quote:
Chrome I have but rarely use.
WinXP? Duh, What is that? Some sort of personal computer O.S.?
To be precise, O.S for an old HP DV1000!
Old 05-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #45
geekmaster

Quote:
You mean this one: mmcblk0p2_ssh-kt-5.0.1.img.gz??
I must treat it in the same way (i.e:this way)?
Sorry to be so insistent....
No, p2 is diags. I just looked. Dasmoover told me a long time ago he was going to put up compressed images. I do not see a compressed p1. All of the K4 images he put up are compressed, so he did not replace the uncompressed K5 images. Bummer. It would save him some bandwidth to compress them.

Unless somebody puts up a compressed p1, you will have to figure out how to download the same image you did, but successfully. If you find a compressed image, you have to extract the image before flashing it.

You COULD try using wget to download the file. Either from linux, or get a mingw/msys wget for windows, or use a cygwin shell wget.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-29-2012 at 09:55 AM.