Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 04:19 AM   #1
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire 2015, Kindle Paperwhite
iPad configuration

After some months I finally decided it's time to bring home and iPad.
I mean to use it for reading eBooks, but of course it should become an alternative to my laptop for surfing the web and watching movies when wife and daughter are using our TV.
I already decided I'll go for the 3G version, as I want to carry it with me on holidays and on work trips.
I'm not sure about the memory: should I stay with the 16Gb, or add 100€ and go for the 32Gb, or 200€ and take the 64Gb ?
I suppose at home I will be able to access movies and music on my network HD using the Wi-Fi, without having to copy them on the iPad filesystem, right ?
Wordcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:27 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
For reading books, the basic 16GB model is more than enough - you could store tens of thousands of books in that. If you want it for music, and especially for video, though, then the more memory the better. I have the 64GB 3G model and don't regret paying the extra.

I'm afraid I don't know of any way of accessing an SMB network share from the iPad, or streaming video from such a share. Perhaps someone else can assist with that?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 04:33 AM   #3
Daddy Warpig
Enthusiast
Daddy Warpig began at the beginning.

Device: iPad & iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordcrasher View Post
I'm not sure about the memory: should I stay with the 16Gb, or add 100€ and go for the 32Gb, or 200€ and take the 64Gb ?
Memory is like car insurance: you don't need it every day, but when you do, it's invaluable.

I've had 2 iPads, a 32 and a 64 3g. I was cramped at 32, but 64 is capacious, even with my high-quality home made DVD conversions (that run 3 gigs on average).

If you've committed to spend 629 for the basic 3g model, spending 200 more to quadruple the capacity isn't a waste of money. 4x the size, 4x the videos, 4x the books, 4x the photos, for a 1/3rd increase in price.

Some think "I don't need it, I don't see how I can ever use it." You might not, right now.

But increased resources can always be utilized and often we don't see how until after we've already acquired the resources. And when you do realize how to put that 64gb to best use, you'll be glad you have it.

That's my experience, at least. YMMV.
Daddy Warpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:42 AM   #4
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

I think you both are right, going for yhe 64Gb should maximize my satisfaction adding less than 1/3 to the total expense. I was almost convinced, I just needed someone to support me
But I am a bit scared by the limitation in file sharing. I am currently keeping all my movies and music on my MiniMac's HD (in my home office), and usually I watch them using my Windows7 laptop in bed or on my couch.
Are you saying this won't be possible using the iPad ?
So the WI-FI can be used only to connect to the Internet ?
Old 06-21-2010, 05:04 AM   #5
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
But I am a bit scared by the limitation in file sharing. I am currently keeping all my movies and music on my MiniMac's HD (in my home office), and usually I watch them using my Windows7 laptop in bed or on my couch.
Are you saying this won't be possible using the iPad ?
So the WI-FI can be used only to connect to the Internet ?
You can use the Air Video app on the iPad to connect to the Air Video Server program on Windows or OSX to stream video to the iPad.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 05:06 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As I say, I don't know of any way of streaming video from a network device. That's certainly not to say that it can't be done, though. Personally I just copy whatever I'm watching from my NAS onto the iPad via iTunes, and watch them that way.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:07 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
You can use the Air Video app on the iPad to connect to the Air Video Server program on Windows or OSX to stream video to the iPad.
Will that let you stream from an SMB network share - eg a NAS device?
Old 06-21-2010, 05:10 AM   #8
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Will that let you stream from an SMB network share - eg a NAS device?
The iPad can't talk to the NAS directly, it needs a PC (Windows or Mac) to interpret. That PC can pull the data from anything it sees as a network share. I use Air Video to stream from a Western Digital NAS, with a PC in between.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:20 AM   #9
Wordcrasher
Addict

Quote:
The iPad can't talk to the NAS directly, it needs a PC (Windows or Mac) to interpret. That PC can pull the data from anything it sees as a network share. I use Air Video to stream from a Western Digital NAS, with a PC in between.
Oh that would be ok: as I said I'm using an USB HD connected to my MacMini to store all my stuff, so if I understood, I should run Air Video Server on the MacMini and AirVideo client apps on the iPad.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:24 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
That sounds good - I'll have to take a look at it myself. Thanks for the information!
Old 06-21-2010, 05:58 AM   #11
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Oh that would be ok: as I said I'm using an USB HD connected to my MacMini to store all my stuff, so if I understood, I should run Air Video Server on the MacMini and AirVideo client apps on the iPad.
That is correct and is the setup I use for most of my videos, the app is also so convenient if your videos are in more the supported formats too.

As far as music I don't tend to use it much on my ipad anyway, but is there a good app for streaming audio in general or even remotely accessing my music, podcasts etc. on my desktop copy of itunes?
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:00 AM   #12
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That sounds good - I'll have to take a look at it myself. Thanks for the information!
The free version is fine, but air video is easily one of the best apps I have bought and the on the fly encoding for streaming would ensure that even if apple turned around tomorrow and increased the formats supported on the ipad.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:06 AM   #13
Wordcrasher
Addict

Thanks for the infos guys, I think all my final doubts are solved.
Now I'm just waiting for the end of my working day and then it's shopping time :-)
Old 06-21-2010, 06:59 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
The free version is fine, but air video is easily one of the best apps I have bought and the on the fly encoding for streaming would ensure that even if apple turned around tomorrow and increased the formats supported on the ipad.
Excellent. The reason I have all my video and audiobooks on a Buffalo NAS is that I stream it to a set-top box on my TV. Being able to do the same on the iPad too is an unanticipated benefit! I'll definitely buy the App, and get one of my old PCs set up as a server.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:59 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks for the infos guys, I think all my final doubts are solved.
Now I'm just waiting for the end of my working day and then it's shopping time :-)
Thank you for raising the subject - it's helped me, too!