Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Design your reader!
I'm okay with a closed, proprietary platform 16 16.00%
Open platform (example Linux) 70 70.00%
8" screen 56 56.00%
5.5" screen 26 26.00%
11" screen 15 15.00%
160 dpi 10 10.00%
300 dpi 64 64.00%
4-grayscale 4 4.00%
16-grayscale 81 81.00%
touchscreen 54 54.00%
non-touchscreen 31 31.00%
micro-SD card slot 79 79.00%
NO card slot 1 1.00%
Wifi 60 60.00%
NO Wifi 21 21.00%
waterproof 40 40.00%
integrated carrying strap 13 13.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
folecr
folecr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Design an ideal book reader?

Is it appropriate to design an "ideal" book reader on these forums? Every reader I've seen today sucks (imho.)

I'd like to just list out every reasonable feature that I would like... combine it with other features that others would like and then have something like a list that hopefully Amazon, Apple, Sony, Acer or whoever could just take and make into a device. With some reasonable price ceiling.

Something like :

- $900 price point
- 300 dpi display
- 4 shades of gray
- 9" diagonal screen, 17:22 aspect ratio
- continuous display of text or *no-flicker* turning of pages
- micro-SD card supporting SDHC
- Wi-fi
- html support + basic web browser
- PDF display
- plain text display
- JPEG display
- PNG display
- Only basic buttons (ie no hardware keyboard)
- Bluetooth support for optional external wireless keyboard
- 10 hour battery life

I know... I know ... it seems ridiculous but I'd like to see what comes of it. Iff such a thread is appropriate.
folecr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Remember that the "perfect" reader is relative.

Mine is perfect for me. I can read books on it, change the meta data, download books from Amazon off it, (if I choose to do so) and did I mention I can read books on it?

Its small enough to carry in a smallish purse, and large enough to read easily.

$900 price point? Who is this targeted for?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

folecr, Wecome to MobileRead!

Enjoy the ride.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I really think OLPC 2 is shooting for this but at a much lower price point... they were saying $100... but if they come in at $400 it would be awesome.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
we spend a lot of time fantasizing er, designing our ideal device around here, so feel free. although, given your price point, i can tell already that your ideal device is not my ideal device. but design away ! go crazy.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
How about $100 instead of $900? ;-)

I am very happy with my new ebookwise 1150. The only thing I would change on it are: 1) more books available to buy for it and 2) make the "page forward" button the bottom one instead of the top.

Other than that, no quibbles - it does exactly what I bought it to do: stores and lets me read books! :-)
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:48 PM   #7
folecr

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
$900 price point? Who is this targeted for?
Me

Every thing I've read about the current generation of ebook readers seems to indicate that device manufacturers are reulctant to create a bigger-screened, more open reader because it will not bring them profits...

Since my ideal reader is going to let me save space in my cramped apartment and let me take all my books with me ... I for one am willing to pay this price for it.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

How about $100 instead of $900?

I am very happy with my new ebookwise 1150 just as it is!

The only things I would change about it are: 1) more books available to buy for it and 2) make the "page forward" button the bottom one instead of the top.

Other than that, no quibbles - it does exactly what I bought it to do: stores and lets me read books!
Old 02-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by folecr View Post
Me

Every thing I've read about the current generation of ebook readers seems to indicate that device manufacturers are reulctant to create a bigger-screened, more open reader because it will not bring them profits...

Since my ideal reader is going to let me save space in my cramped apartment and let me take all my books with me ... I for one am willing to pay this price for it.
Seriously? Like laptops and computers, I think your dreams could be realized for far less money.......e-book readers are making huge strides quickly.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:58 PM   #10
folecr

OK ... this may be somewhat dumb but I put in a poll with some basic options...

One of the things I want to see is what such a device would actually cost .. as opposed to a fantasy device that provides the world but costs $100...

OR worse yet is tied to one company's content.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:02 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoogeswoman View Post
I am very happy with my new ebookwise 1150. The only thing I would change on it are: 1) more books available to buy for it and 2) make the "page forward" button the bottom one instead of the top.
you can modify that in the preferences.

Quote:
OK ... this may be somewhat dumb but I put in a poll with some basic options...

One of the things I want to see is what such a device would actually cost .. as opposed to a fantasy device that provides the world but costs $100...

OR worse yet is tied to one company's content.
i don't know how much it would cost but 900$ seems really high. i would not pay that much, mainly because i couldn't afford it. also, i voted for 5.5" screen because i don't want anything too big, however i think the current screens are actually 6" and that seems like a decent size. i don't know how much of a difference 0.5" would make.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:07 PM   #12
stoogeswoman
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
you can modify that in the preferences.
OMG, just figured it out - thank you!!
Old 02-17-2009, 06:07 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
- 10 hour battery life
The majority of current e-ink ebook readers measure battery life in days and weeks. Why the big step backwards?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:11 PM   #14
folecr

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
The majority of current e-ink ebook readers measure battery life in days and weeks. Why the big step backwards?
yikes! I intended 10 days.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #15
folecr

Hmmmm ...

I mean ... subjectively I know what I want from a reader.

- I want it to be instant on
- I want the content to look exactly like paper
- I want to be able to flick through pages without getting a headache
- I want full text to be searchable
and
- I want it to hold my entire library : high res photos (encyclopaedia, photography books, reference books, comics,) plain text content (short stories and novels) and periodicals (hence the wireless.) BUT I'm willing to compromise on full-color (hence the 4-grayscale)

- I DON'T want annoying buttons on the device
- I DON'T want the flicker from e-paper
- I DON'T want to recharge every day. Every week should be fine.

Now, this really sounds like a fantasy.

I guess my original intent was to see how much of this can be satisfied in a real-world device.