Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 11-09-2023, 06:32 PM   #1
jdege
Connoisseur
jdege began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tablet
Can't open reader

I've been using Calibre on my own Linux server and Calibre Companion on my Android devices for many years.

Today, CC can no longer open readers.

I have a Motorola phone and a Samsung tablet, both with CC and Moon+ Reader Pro installed. They've both been working fine.

Today, neither CC can open the reader. I get a dialog:
Do you have a reader app?
jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 09:17 PM   #2
fernandie
fernandie began at the beginning.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 3
I'm running into a related problem with CC on my Android. CC updated yesterday, amd now it won't offer Adobe Acrobat or Moon+ Reader Pro as reader options, which have been my defaults from CC for years. If I try to use any of the options it does offer (Drive PDF Viewer, Freading, Samsung's PDF viewer), the books won't actually open in the apps. However, the files and the apps are fine -- I can open the files directly from their locations in whatever app I want.

Seemingly connected to the same update, the bookshelf widget function broke. I can make a widget, but it won't display any covers.
fernandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2023, 12:36 AM   #3
Querfeldein
Querfeldein began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab A
Reader is not running

Ich habe ein ähnliche Problem.
Habe versucht, es durch Neuintallation zu beheben.
Nach Neuinstallation des Calibre Compendium hat sich nichts geändert, außer dass die vorhandene Bücher nicht mehr eingelesen werden ...
Von den vorhandenen Readern ( TTS Reader, AIReader, @Voice) wird nur @Voice erkannt, Datei wird aber nicht an @Voice gesendet.
Es erscheint kurz der 'Warten-Kreis' und das war es dann.

I have a similar problem.
Tried to fix it by reinstalling.
After reinstalling the Caliber Compendium nothing has changed except that the existing books are no longer loaded...
Of the existing readers (TTS Reader, AIReader, @Voice), only @Voice is recognized, but the file is not sent to @Voice.
The 'waiting circle' appears briefly and that's it.
Querfeldein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 08:08 AM   #4
jdege
Connoisseur

I found the . apk for an older version, uninstalled what the playstore had installed, then installed the older version. After that, everything worked again.

The next day, the playstore had reinstalled the broken version.

So I used an apksigner app to sign the .apk I'd downloaded, then uninstalled and reinstalled, and I've been fine, since.
Old 11-12-2023, 04:14 PM   #5
Scifantasy1017
Scifantasy1017 doesn't litterScifantasy1017 doesn't litter

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdege View Post
I found the . apk for an older version, uninstalled what the playstore had installed, then installed the older version. After that, everything worked again.

So I used an apksigner app to sign the .apk I'd downloaded, then uninstalled and reinstalled, and I've been fine, since.
Is there another fix or do we just need to wait for an update on the update that broke this feature, lol?
Scifantasy1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2023, 07:20 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifantasy1017 View Post
Is there another fix or do we just need to wait for an update on the update that broke this feature, lol?
CC is abandoned. Suggest not holding breath
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 07:49 AM   #7
DragoLord19d
DragoLord19d began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdege View Post

could I get the link to the older version?
DragoLord19d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 10:47 AM   #8
lurp79
lurp79 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I too have been having similar issues. When I request to read a book I get a waiting wheel for half a second, then nothing. I also uninstalled and reinstalled it, but still no luck.

A link to an old version would also be appreciated.
lurp79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 08:20 PM   #9
jts628
jts628 began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab Pro
Same thing just happened to me (3 devices).

I can't believe that after years of zero updates and support, they roll one out which breaks the functionality. I also have my Google Play Store settings to NOT auto update so unclear how this happened automatically.

Anyway, if anyone has access to a prior version APK or figures out how to fix this would be much appreciated.
jts628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 09:47 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Are y'all sure you got a new APK?

Or has Google done something to Android that's preventing the APK you have from working. That's happened to me with a couple of abandoned Android apps.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 10:26 AM   #11
jts628

The version now on the Google Play Store is 5.4.4.21 updated on November 7, 2023.
Old 11-14-2023, 02:14 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe someone plucked it from Gold Tree Consulting LLC ==>> Selling CC

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 02:30 PM   #13
jdege
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoLord19d View Post
could I get the link to the older version?
I just googled around. They're easy enough to find.

I hesitate to provide a direct link because I don't know I'm using the latest working.
Old 11-14-2023, 06:10 PM   #14
jts628

For those who just google, make sure you scan the apk before you install. I've been trying to find an apk that is not loaded with malware and each one I've scanned has been a disaster. Don't risk it unless you have some confidence that you have a stock apk.
Old 11-15-2023, 01:36 AM   #15
shuvashish76
Enthusiast
shuvashish76 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
CC is abandoned. Suggest not holding breath
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...calibreandroid

Official one?

Version