Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 10-21-2021, 04:37 PM   #1
vissidarte
vissidarte began at the beginning.

Device: none
Javascript runs in Ibook and Calibre Editor but not Calibre Reader

I recently created a small demo file using Calibre editor. It contains javascript attached to "onmouseover" and also some javascript to change the css on some div elements.

All the javascript runs in the Calibre editor (and in a Safari as well) - both onmouseover and the div css events. Also RunCheck in the editor reports "no problems". I also modified the manifest and spine elements in metadata.opf so that "properties=scripted" as per W3C instructions. The files are posted at the bottom.

However, when i try to run the file in Calibre editor - NONE of the javascript works . If I run it in Mac Ibook - the div/css javascript works, but not the onmouseover events.

I am running calibre: 5.29.0 installed on a MacBook via home-brew.

1) Does Calibre Reader allow javascript? And if so, are there special settings to allow javascript - I checked preferences and couldn't find any?
2) My eventual goal is to have an SVG element that will respond to the users clicks and mouse movements with a popup, but I can't seem to get a simple alert box to be displayed! I presume that the onmouseover event isn't running because of some conflict with Ibooks own event handling mechanism. If so, how do I coax Ibook and Calibre reader to use my script rather than its own?
Spoiler:

start.xhtml contents:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en" xml:lang="en">

<head>
<title>Demo</title>
<script src="https://code.jquery.com/jquery-3.5.1.min.js">
</script>

<style>
div {
width: 60px;
height: 60px;
margin: 10px;
background: blue;
float: left;
}
</style>
</head>

<body>
<h1 onmouseover="alert('h1 mouseover')">Hello world</h1>
<div></div>
<div></div>
<script>
$( "div" ).css( "border", "2px solid red" )
.css( "background", "yellow" );
</script>

<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">
<circle cx="50" cy="50" r="45"
stroke-width="0" fill="black"
onmouseover="alert('circle mouseover')"
/>
<a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange">
<circle cx="50" cy="50" r="30"
stroke="black" stroke-width="0" fill="orange"
>
<title>An orange circle</title>
</circle>
</a>
</svg>
</body>

</html>

metadata.opf contents:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="uuid_id" version="2.0">
<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlnspf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
<dc:title>Demo</dc:title>
<dc:creator opf:file-as="egfb" opf:role="aut">Unknown</dc:creator>
<dc:identifier opf:scheme="calibre" id="calibre_id">d6a131e9-cd7e-443d-9969-d0b3e13f5a9b</dc:identifier>
<dc:identifier opf:scheme="uuid" id="uuid_id">f551a057-f9c0-4741-be82-e6b860b5b1d2</dc:identifier>
<dc:contributor opf:file-as="calibre" opf:role="bkp">calibre (5.29.0) [https://calibre-ebook.com]</dc:contributor>
<dc:language>eng</dc:language>
</metadata>
<manifest>
<item href="start.xhtml" id="start" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" properties="scripted"/>
<item href="toc.ncx" id="ncx" media-type="application/x-dtbncx+xml"/>
</manifest>
<spine toc="ncx">
<itemref idref="start"/>
</spine>
<guide/>
</package>

Last edited by theducks; 10-22-2021 at 10:16 AM. Reason: spoilered
vissidarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:48 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yes the viewer supports JS and you dont need any special properties to make it work. You cannot load jquery from a web url. Either dont use it or bundle it in the actual epub file.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2021, 10:41 AM   #3
vissidarte

Thank you for confirming that it is /supposed/ to work - but if the JS is supposed to work why does the start.xhtml file in the epub archive refuse to change the div color from blue to yellow /in the reader/?

It is clear the javascript works in the editor preview (divs turn from blue to yellow). it also works when the book is added to the library and the first page (content of the start.xhtml file) is converted to .jpg as the "default" book cover. The divs are yellow not blue in the displayed .jpg. BUT when I actually load the book into the calibre reader, the javascript does not execute and the divs stay blue.
Old 10-22-2021, 11:25 AM   #4
vissidarte

--You cannot load jquery from a web url. Either dont use it or bundle it in the actual epub file.--

OK missed that part, I've put a local copy of jquery in the archive. The relevant portions of the EPUB archive now look like this, but I still get the same result: the javascript executes in the calibre Editor but not in the calibre Reader.

From start.xhtml
<head>
<title>Demo</title>
<script src="META-INF/jquery-3.5.1.min.js">
</script>
</head>

From metadata.opf:
<manifest>
<item href="start.xhtml" id="start" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" properties="scripted"/>
<item href="META-INF/jquery-3.5.1.min.js"
media-type="text/javascript"
properties="scripted"/>
<item href="toc.ncx" id="ncx" media-type="application/x-dtbncx+xml"/>
</manifest>

Is there something wrong with the above code? Does the js library have to also be added to the spine? Is the path name correct? (The META-INF path was the path name that showed up in the prompt when I entered the source attribute)?
I am running calibre on Big Sur. Is it possible that the reader is using features that are triggering Big Sur's security infrastructure whereas the editor is not?
Old 10-23-2021, 01:22 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to run your JS *after* the dom has loaded. A quick google will show you how to do that. And use the Inspector to debug your JS in the viewer, right click, choose inspector and open the console.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
calibre, javascript