Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-08-2020, 06:38 AM   #1
carmenchu
Groupie
carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Win7,Win10,Lubuntu,smartphone
Removing calibre classes...

As begun in this thread (moved from another, misleading title), I have working in a plug-in to remove those 'calibre#' classes that usually implement just the CSS defaults for the tag, and also redundant/unnecessary <meta.../> tags.
My (working) code so far is:
Spoiler:
#!/usr/bin/env python
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
import sys, os, re

from sigil_bs4 import BeautifulSoup

def run(bk):

# get all html files
for (html_id, href) in bk.text_iter():

deletec=[]
deletem=[]

file_name = os.path.basename(href)
html = bk.readfile(html_id)

# convert html to soup
soup = BeautifulSoup(html, 'html.parser')
orig_html = str(soup)

# get all i,b,small,sup,sub,br,a,li tags with class='*calibre*' (containing all those characters, in fact)
tags = soup.find_all(['i', 'b', 'small', 'sub', 'sup', 'br', 'a', 'li'], class_=re.compile("calibre"))
for tag in tags:
theclass = tag['class'] # list under 'html.parser': can be multivalued
if len(theclass) == 1: # not a multivalued class
# remove class attribute
deletec = deletec + [(tag.name, theclass)]
del tag['class']
# else: # remove the *calibre* style from class? How?

# this clears the plug-in console: add after
metas = soup.find_all('meta', attrs={'name': True})
for meta in metas:
# exclude 'calibre:cover', remove others
if not 'cover' in meta['name']: # works here: string, and NOT above: list
deletem = deletem + [(meta.name, meta['name'])]
meta.decompose() # all previous print statements lost here

# update file with changes
if str(soup) != orig_html:
bk.writefile(html_id, str(soup))
# write a list of changes for checking
print(deletec, sep=' ')
print(deletem, sep=' ')
print(file_name, 'updated')

print('Done')
return 0

def main():
print("I reached main when I should not have")
return -1

if __name__ == "__main__":
sys.exit(main())

- When run, it outputs in the plug-in window the full list of removals, so that one can check that nothing unintended is affected, and gets rid of calibre classes from i,b,small,sup,sub,br,a,li--plus all meta tags. Composite classes and <meta *name="*cover*"*/> excluded.
Now, I would appreciate further help from experts in improving the plug-in, allowing as options:
* edit the tag list
* include/exclude the metas removal
* include/exclude showing the (huge!) list of removals (i.e., a 'test mode')

As the Sigil_Plugin_Framework_rev12.epub lacks information on GUIs, please:
- For my needs, would Tkinter or PyQt5 be the simpler approach?
- Can some-helpful-body provide a very simple template (no bell or whistles) working in Sigil?

* Improvement of code welcome (I am learning)
** If somebody is interested, I can provide the plug-in in its present working state... for use only if those classes are in your way: maybe some 'user agents' require them?

Last edited by carmenchu; 04-08-2020 at 08:46 AM. Reason: improve code
carmenchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:49 AM   #2
bravosx
Connoisseur
bravosx began at the beginning.

Device: Prestigio PER3464B, Onyx Lynx, Lenovo S5000 i Tab4-8"
I'm trying to use your plugin and I get this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\Sigil\plugin_launchers\python\launcher.py", line 135, in launch
target_script = __import__(script_module)
File "C:\Users\xxxxxxxx\AppData\Local\sigil-ebook\sigil\plugins\MyPlugin\plugin.py", line 10
deletec=[]
^
IndentationError: expected an indented block
Error: expected an indented block (plugin.py, line 10)
bravosx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2020, 08:11 AM   #3
carmenchu
Groupie
carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, that is just the 'run' code (and my 'copy & paste' deleted the python indents: cannot work!): attached the working (for me) plug-in.
Caveat:
* test it in a 'short' epub
* look at plug-in window to see what has has been deleted
* and test further with preview before saving the changed epub

Last edited by carmenchu; 04-11-2020 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:34 AM   #4
bravosx
Connoisseur
bravosx began at the beginning.

Device: Prestigio PER3464B, Onyx Lynx, Lenovo S5000 i Tab4-8"
Ok. Now the plugin has worked.

Thanks and best regards
bravosx
bravosx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:46 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenchu View Post
- Can some-helpful-body provide a very simple template (no bell or whistles) working in Sigil?
The plugin framework provides no extensions/improvements to python gui functionality, hence the reason there's no information provided in the Plugin Framework documentation. I'm sure some will be able to offer help in constructing guis with python using tkinter or pyqt5, but it's beyond the scope of our plugin framework guide. There are plenty of tutorials/examples available online for making tkinter and pyqt5 dialogs, and there are plenty of examples of integrating such dialogs with Sigil plugins in many of the available Sigil plugins.

"Simpler" is in the eye of the beholder. I've done a lot of tkinter guis for my various plugins, but I've always found tkinter to be terribly unintuitive for some reason. I'm not sure why; it might just be me. One advantage PyQt has is that the gui will match Sigil's gui style, and the plugin framework even offers ways to ensure that the plugin's dialogs will match Sigil's lightmode/darkmode user preference. Tkinter will only automatically do that on macOS (with newer versions of macOS). My plugins with GUI's will eventually all use PyQt5 instead of tkinter.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2020, 09:03 AM   #6
carmenchu
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravosx View Post
Ok. Now the plugin has worked.

Thanks and best regards
bravosx
Thank you for testing.
Attached a sligh modification: moving two lines of code improves the report ... I am learning
Attached Files
File Type: zip RedundantI_v1.zip (3.3 KB, 348 views)

Last edited by carmenchu; 04-08-2020 at 09:03 AM. Reason: correct word
Old 04-08-2020, 10:19 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Any chance this could also be made as a Calibre plugin?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:01 AM   #8
Thomas_AR
Zealot
Thomas_AR began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Hi,
i tested your plugin on a small epub. Not much to remove. The plugin successfully removed some unnecessary meta tags.
Working good so far.

Thomas
Thomas_AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:52 AM   #9
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
My unofficial regex tester validation plugin has a very simple Tkinter GUI (just two radio buttons, a text box, a check box and two push buttons).

Also have a look at DiapDealer's plugins.

BTW, if you just want some customization options, you could "cheat," and simply read and write preference settings, which is very easy.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:46 PM   #10
carmenchu
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_AR View Post
Hi,
I tested your plugin on a small epub. Not much to remove...
Thanks for the feedback: the plug-in is intented for epubs converted with calibre 'at some point of their history': almost 90% of the ones I've got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
My unofficial regex tester validation plugin has a very simple Tkinter GUI (just two radio buttons, a text box, a check box and two push buttons).
Tons of thanks! It seems to hit the bull's eye.
Quote:
BTW, if you just want some customization options, you could "cheat," and simply read and write preference settings, which is very easy.
It doesn't seem to allow for editing the preferences, doest it?
Of course, I intend to use preferences as well--those seem to have a documentation I can understand.
But my search into PyQt documentation has devolved into headache.
Maybe I have been spoiled by Gimp, which offers a framework for python plugins which makes their GUIs quite trivial.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:29 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
It doesn't seem to allow for editing the preferences, doest it?
If the preferences are few and simple enough, directly editing the plugin's preferences json file is a way of editing preferences that many Sigil plugins utilize. Especially if they won't be changing very often. But if you're envisioning preferences that will be updated frequently (perhaps each time the plugin is run even), then you will probably want a gui dialog that retrieves/sets those preferences. There's plenty of examples of both approaches in the user-contributed plugins.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:15 PM   #12
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But my search into PyQt documentation has devolved into headache.
The Qt documentation really isn't great, by PyQt can also be relatively simple if you stick to basic controls. For example, this post shows how to display a message box.

Displaying an input box is even easier:
Spoiler:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python
import sys
from PyQt5.QtWidgets import QApplication, QInputDialog
from PyQt5 import QtCore

def run(bk):
    app = QApplication(sys.argv)
    input = QInputDialog()
    input.setWindowFlags(QtCore.Qt.WindowCloseButtonHint) # hide "What is this?" icon [?]
    input.setWindowTitle("QInputDialog demo")
    button_clicked = input.exec_()
    print("You entered:", input.textValue())

return 0

def main():
    print('I reached main when I should not have\n')
    return -1

if __name__ == "__main__":
    sys.exit(main())
Old 04-10-2020, 07:37 AM   #13
carmenchu
Groupie

Many thanks, every body!
Attached is a new version of the plug-in, doing the same, but with:
- an improved (short!) report
- use of 'preferences', per PrefsExampleSimple_v0.0.2--edit them for options.
--------
And now, some grumbling: adding a very simple GUI, with a frame, an editable text field and a couple of buttons, still seems (to me!) a headache.
I sorely miss in Sigil the Gimp (traditional) approach, which looks in code:
Spoiler:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python
###################################################
# GIMP plugin to export the visible canvas/selection to image as indixed PNG 
#	(NEVER put a multi-layer RGB/GRAY image in INDIXED mode: the results can be AWFUL)
# (c) carmen 2019
#
##### released under GNU General Public License v2
###################################################

import sys,os,os.path

sys.stderr = open('G:/Tests/Gimp_plug/python-fu-output.txt','a')
sys.stdout=sys.stderr # So that they both go to the same file
# From hint in https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Debugging-python-fu-scripts-in-Windows
from gimpfu import *

def export_visible_as_indexed(image,GS,crop,numCols,WWW,ditherType,alphaDither):
	# common tasks
	name,_=os.path.splitext(image.filename) # _ stands for the extension: not wanted
	postFix='_xcf.png'
	# if GS: postfix='-GS' + postfix
	# if crop: postfix='-crop' + postfix
	# theName=name + postfix
	theName=name
	if GS: theName += '-GS'
	if crop: theName += '-crop'
	theName += postFix
	if os.path.exists(theName):
		pdb.gimp_message(theName + ' already exists: Nothing doing!')
		# does away with 'frozen green progress bar' in UI
	else:
		pdb.gimp_edit_copy_visible(image) # action: returns True if successful: Copy from the projection o selection.
		precision = pdb.gimp_image_get_precision(image)
		if precision > 150:
			# pdb.gimp_message('Precision too high: Nothing doing!')
			theImage=pdb.gimp_image_new_with_precision(pdb.gimp_image_width(image),pdb.gimp_image_height(image),pdb.gimp_image_base_type(image),150) # Precision needed for conversion to indexed
			layer=pdb.gimp_layer_new_from_visible(image,theImage,'Pasted layer')
			# layer = pdb.gimp_layer_new_from_visible(image, dest_image, name)
			selection = pdb.gimp_image_get_selection(image)
			theImage.insert_layer(layer,position=-1)
			# pdb.gimp_image_insert_layer(theImage,layer,0,0) #### TypeError: wrong parameter type -> Bug
			# pdb.gimp_image_insert_layer(image, layer, parent, position)
			pdb.plug_in_autocrop_layer(theImage,selection)
		else:
			theImage=pdb.gimp_edit_paste_as_new_image()# (void): Paste buffer to a new image.
			layer=theImage.layers[0]
		# type=pdb.gimp_image_base_type(theImage)
		# print 'Initial base_type is "%s" ' % pdb.gimp_image_base_type(theImage)
		if GS and pdb.gimp_image_base_type(theImage) != 1: pdb.gimp_image_convert_grayscale(theImage)
		# print 'Resulting base_type is "%s" ' % pdb.gimp_image_base_type(theImage)
		if crop: pdb.plug_in_autocrop(theImage,layer)
		paletteType=2 if WWW else 0
		pdb.gimp_image_convert_indexed(theImage,ditherType,paletteType,numCols,alphaDither,0,0)
		# fails if precision > 150
		pdb.file_png_save(theImage,layer,theName,theName,0,9,0,0,0,0,0)
		pdb.gimp_image_delete(theImage)

register(
		"export_visible_as_indexed",
		"Export visible canvas/selection as indexed PNG",
		"Export visible canvas/selection as indexed PNG",
		"carmen",
		"carmen",
		"2019",
		"Export visible as indexed PNG...", 
		"RGB*, GRAY*",
		[
			(PF_IMAGE, 'image', 'Input image', None),
			(PF_BOOL, 'GS', 'Make Grayscale?', False),
			(PF_TOGGLE, 'crop', 'Autocrop image?', False),
			(PF_SPINNER, 'numCols', 'Number of colors:', 256,(1, 256, 1)),
			(PF_BOOL, 'WWW', 'WWW optimized?', False),
			(PF_OPTION, 'ditherType',    'Dither colors:',    0, ['No dithering','Floyd-Steinberg','Floyd-Steinberg + reduced bleeding','Fixed']),
			(PF_BOOL, 'alphaDither', 'Dither transparency?', False)
		],
		[],
		export_visible_as_indexed,
		menu='<Image>/Export As/',
)

main()

(notice the register() at bottom: that´s the plug-in GUI) and runs as:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.png
Views:	366
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	178226
the pop-up dialog being created by the PF_... entries, which also gather them as variables for the function in the script.
The main point is that one can focus on the code, and leave the main program to extrude a 'standard' dialog (advanced plug-in coders can also implement their own, non-standard dialogs).
I suspect that one should be able to do something of the kind in Sigil through 'class instances' (above my head!) as
'Seven classes for the seven options under the sky,
one class to bind them all and under Sigil run them...'
For wizards, of course!

Last edited by carmenchu; 04-11-2020 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:33 AM   #14
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

IMHO, your plugin is almost ready for an official release. I only have one minor nitpick: the plugin never reads or writes the "metas" preference setting.

I also have a minor suggestion:

if you change:

Code:
        tags = soup.find_all(ttags, class_=re.compile("calibre"))
to:

Code:
        if ttags == ['']:
            tags = soup.find_all(class_=re.compile("calibre"))
        else:
the user can use the following preference setting:

Code:
  "tags": ""
to tell the plugin to remove calibre classes from all tags.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:31 PM   #15
carmenchu
Groupie

Quote:
IMHO, your plugin is almost ready for an official release. I only have one minor nitpick: the plugin never reads or writes the "metas" preference setting.
Query: can really
Code:
prefs['metas'] = prefs['metas']
be required? Seems sappy...

Quote:

I also have a minor suggestion:

if you change:

Code:
to:

Code:
        if ttags == ['']:
            tags = soup.find_all(class_=re.compile("calibre"))
        else:
the user can use the following preference setting:

Code:
  "tags": ""
to tell the plugin to remove calibre classes from all tags.
I have implemented a variant of your suggestion, and (I hope!) avoided the trouble of a void "tags": "", getting the "tags" preferences obliterated on next run.
It's an option which I wouldn't recommend, save for report purposes: one can achieve the same result by a simple search & replace of class="calibre\d*" (I purposely skip class="calibre\d* other" except in report: my notion isn't to eliminate manuel searchs and edits, but only their mechanical part).
By the way, is there a simple way of getting the list of tags ordered? It would be easier to read and edit, but I can't get it done...
----

**Do people know that there is a downloadable epub version of the python manual here? The improvement of consulting on i.e., the calibre viewer, with full, searchable toc and searcheable text, cannot be told--try it!**
Attached Files
File Type: zip RedundantI_v2.zip (4.1 KB, 295 views)

Last edited by carmenchu; 04-10-2020 at 07:33 PM. Reason: mispelling