Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-27-2022, 03:06 AM   #16
mrevent
Zealot
mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: kindle 3w, dxg, 5, Kv
I am "daring" to post the following question here, hoping that there may be others as unskilled in these matters as I am with similar "conversion wishes."

Trying to attempt to move all endnotes to the end of "current" xhtml file in a book -- hoping that, this way, kindle will show the notes at the bottom of the screen (instead of a pop-up), which is more convenient to read...
For instance:

Main text: .... on crisis.<sup><a href="#ch1-fn43" id="ch1fn43">43</a></sup> To this e

Footnote: <p class="footnote"><sup><a href="#ch1fn43" id="ch1-fn43">43</a></sup> See Chapter 21 of this work.</p>

----

While in the book below, all notes are complied in a separate notes.xhtml, with links to the respective chapters...

E.g.: <p class="endnote"><a id="ch1en1"/><a href="chapter_001.xhtml#rch1en1">1</a> <strong>Master gambler:</strong> Alvarez 2001, 67.</p>

<p class="endnote"><a id="ch2en8"/><a href="chapter_002.xhtml#rch2en8">8</a> <strong>Borges’s rumpled list:</strong> Ackerman 2001, 21.</p><div style="display:none;"><a id="GBS.0232.05"/></div>

What I am wondering about is whether there is a way to use your plugin to rather quickly convert the second type of notes to the first type, making them be displayed at the bottom of the screen on the kindle (after the final conversion to the .mobi format).

The name of the plug-in at least sounded promising regarding such an attempt -- sorry if my post is irrelevant regardless.
mrevent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 09:32 PM   #17
phillipgessert
Addict
phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5th Gen
As far as I know, once a reading system identifies a footnote as such, it displays it however that reading system prefers to show it. And a common way for a Kindle to identify em is via a backlink, which both of your examples seem to include. I would be curious to know whether the behavior differed between those two examples. I didn’t think that changed based on whether they were shoved over to a separate file, though it’s generally considered better that they not be.
phillipgessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2022, 04:09 AM   #18
CalibUser
Addict
CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.

Device: Sony
@mrevent: Unfortunately I am not familiar with the Kindle so I do not know how to write code for it. I can only write code for ePubs.
CalibUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 02:49 PM   #19
mrevent
Zealot
mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

@phillipgessert Thanks so much for your reply and your time! You're right indeed. Possibly, I was thinking of the difference in the rendering of footnotes in .mobi vs kf8 formats as one between their place in the same vs a different html file. Apologies for my confusion... Hopefully, my previous post may still retain some relevance as asking about how to move notes from a separate html file to the end of the main text's html file. It may very well not be...

@CalibUser Many thanks for your reply too, CalibUser; "batch moving" notes in the epub file to the desired location (same html file with the main text, in this case) would be more than enough for me. I highly suspect this is already possible with your plugin as such and the problem is peculiar to me...
Old 04-30-2022, 03:49 AM   #20
CalibUser
Addict
CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.CalibUser goes to eleven.

@mrevent: If you used my plugin to put all your footnotes in one xhtml section then you can use the plugin to remove the xhtml section containing all the footnotes and then use it to put footnotes in each xhtml file as follows:

1. Run the plugin. Ensure that all the settings are the same as when you built the footnote section.
2. Click Reinstate footnotes. This removes the section that contains all the footnotes from the ePub.
3. Run the plugin again and make sure you have selected the option Current xhtml section
4. Click Insert footnotes to insert the footnotes in each xhtml file.
Advert
Old 05-02-2022, 05:37 AM   #21
mrevent
Zealot

Many thanks again @CalibUSer, I'll refer to your post when I create footnotes with your plugin the next time. Cheers!
Old 10-24-2022, 10:13 AM   #22
sam0sam
sam0sam began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Hello @CalibUser,

I can't open the plugin on mac (MacOS 10.15.7)
NameError: name 'ttk' is not defined
Error: name 'ttk' is not defined
sam0sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 10:59 AM   #23
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Hi Sam - welcome to MR!

Did you happen to rename the zip file before you installed it? It needs to be left exactly as it is and as a zip.

If you didn't change anything then the really knowledgeable people will be here shortly to help.

Cheers!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 11:12 AM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Older versions of Sigil on MacOS required that a newer system version of TclTk be installed before using Sigil plugins that use Tkinter. That is no longer the case with the latest versions of Sigil. Starting with Sigil 1.9.0, I believe.

It's mentioned in the Sigil Release Notes of all the versions wherever it's still necessary. A working TclTk .dmg is attached to the assets of the Sigil 1.8.0 on Github, but I recommend updating to the latest Sigil if possible.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-24-2022 at 11:16 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 09:52 PM   #25
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Actually, there appears to be an issue in the plugin.

It has the following line:

import tkinter.ttk as tkinter_ttk

but then uses ttk.Label and many others references like that instead of tkinter_ttk.Label and etc?

I do not understand how this ever worked?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 10:12 PM   #26
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Hmmm... that IS odd. I seem to recall another plugin that had a similar issue (if it wasn't this one).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 12:26 AM   #27
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Hmmm... that IS odd. I seem to recall another plugin that had a similar issue (if it wasn't this one).
The InsertImageSVG plugin by the same author had the same problem. Changing the following import in plugin.py fixed the problem with that plugin:

Code:
import tkinter.ttk as tkinter_ttk	#Needed for ttk. commands
Code:
import tkinter.ttk as ttk	#Needed for ttk. commands

Last edited by Doitsu; 10-25-2022 at 12:40 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 09:44 AM   #28
CalibUser
Addict

@sam0sam:

Thanks for reporting this bug.

[QUOTE
Error: name 'ttk' is not defined[/QUOTE]

I have updated the plugin in the first post of this thread.
Old 11-08-2022, 11:04 AM   #29
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Thank you! A very useful tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalibUser View Post
@sam0sam:

Thanks for reporting this bug.

[QUOTE
Error: name 'ttk' is not defined
I have updated the plugin in the first post of this thread.[/QUOTE]
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 10:20 AM   #30
Qubert
Qubert began at the beginning.

Device: Sigil
I'm having trouble adding a footnote. I don't see any change when I click the insert footnotes button. Would it be possible for you to update the user guide, Footnote manipulator v0.1.1.1.epub, to include a footnote?
Qubert is offline   Reply With Quote