Old 04-09-2017, 05:16 AM   #1
ri-chi
ri-chi began at the beginning.

Device: STDU
Edits not always showing

Hi,

I am using calibre to edit an epub.
Some of the edits work just great.
But others, such as colour and spacings, show fine in the preview panel, but do NOT show in the epub.
I am using STDU to view my e-books.

Any suggestions?
ri-chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:46 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ri-chi View Post
I am using calibre to edit an epub.
Some of the edits work just great.
But others, such as colour and spacings, show fine in the preview panel, but do NOT show in the epub.
I am using STDU to view my e-books.
How do those edits look in Adobe Digital Editions or Calibre's ebook viewer?

If the edits look fine then it may be the STDU viewer, if they don't look fine post actual code snippets of items that don't seem to work.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2017, 06:39 AM   #3
ri-chi

Hi Dr.O,

The edits are ok in Calibre's book reader.
But they also do not show in Sumatra.

2 edits that don't show in the epub are:
<style> .centre { text-align: center; } #padleft { padding-left:50px; border:no; }
.tab1 { padding-left: 4em; } .tab2 { padding-left: 8em; } .tab3 { padding-left: 12em; } .red{ color: red;</style>
<div id="padleft">
<p class="red">
Old 04-09-2017, 07:39 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Hi Dr.O,

The edits are ok in Calibre's book reader.
But they also do not show in Sumatra.

<style> .centre { text-align: center; } #padleft { padding-left:50px; border:no; }
.tab1 { padding-left: 4em; } .tab2 { padding-left: 8em; } .tab3 { padding-left: 12em; } .red{ color: red;</style>
<div id="padleft">
<p class="red">
I'm no expert, but if Calibre's viewer renders the book fine, I would expect Adobe Digital Editions (which is the engine used by many eInk devices) would work fine too. Possibly Sumatra has a problem with padding attributes.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:36 AM   #5
ri-chi

I have downloaded Adobe Digital Editions to check.
BUT, it is not very good.
The padding shows, but colour changes do not.
Worse, it has blanked large parts of my first 2 pages.
(Also it cannot handle images very well, these are often overlayed on the text.)
Advert
Old 04-09-2017, 08:57 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given that your eBook is ePub and ADE has problems displaying your eBook, then I would say the problem is with your eBook. ADE is the standard and if it fails, then you need to fix things.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:01 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Use a proper linked CSS.

Code:
.centre {
text-align: center;
}
.padleft {
padding-left: 50px;
}
.tab1 {
padding-left: 4em;
}
.tab2 {
padding-left: 8em;
}
.tab3 {
padding-left: 12em;
}
.red {
color: red;
}
I've fixed your errors. With ADE, if you have an error in the style sheet, the entire style sheet will be ignored.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:14 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I have downloaded Adobe Digital Editions to check.
BUT, it is not very good.
The padding shows, but colour changes do not.
Worse, it has blanked large parts of my first 2 pages.
(Also it cannot handle images very well, these are often overlayed on the text.)
You need to decide who your target customer is.
You can make a book that renders perfect (your version o perfect) on a device that many have not heard of...
OR
You can make it look good on the majority of devices (because they also support the DRM used by industry) ADE /RMSDK

ADE is notorious for ignoring whole stylesheets with syntax errors. Validate

USE A STYLESHEET
It is a lot easier to fix or adjust in a single place
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:12 AM   #9
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Quote:
<div id="padleft">
<p class="red">
You seem to be missing a "}" before "</style>".
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:36 AM   #10
ri-chi

@JSWolf, thanks. I have incorporated your code, but still no change.
So now I will check the whole style-sheet. Didn't realise that these pgms just ignored the style-sheet if there are errors. Would be more helpful if they flagged the errors.

@theducks. My target customer at the moment is me. Just want to read the corrected book on STDU.

@Phssthpok. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:40 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
@JSWolf, thanks. I have incorporated your code, but still no change.
So now I will check the whole style-sheet. Didn't realise that these pgms just ignored the style-sheet if there are errors. Would be more helpful if they flagged the errors.

@theducks. My target customer at the moment is me. Just want to read the corrected book on STDU.

@Phssthpok. Thanks.
I like that ADE ignores the stylesheet. It lets me know that there is some error that needs fixing. ADE is the only program I know that ignores the stylesheet upon finding an error.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:29 AM   #12
ri-chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I like that ADE ignores the stylesheet. It lets me know that there is some error that needs fixing. ADE is the only program I know that ignores the stylesheet upon finding an error.
True. But it could also let you know by flagging the error, like in normal programming languages. This would be infinitely more helpful.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:33 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes. . .
But it is a PITA when you buged just a dropcap and you turned the whole mess into unreadable.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
True. But it could also let you know by flagging the error, like in normal programming languages. This would be infinitely more helpful.
ADE is an e-book viewer just like STDU. Whilst it is regarded as a useful benchmark for reasons previously stated, it is not a diagnostic tool - that's what the epub validators do.

I've never heard of STDU until now. I see it and its companion products haven't been updated for a couple of years or more. So it might be time to consider an alternative viewer. On Windows (which is the only platform STDU supports) most reviews regard the calibre viewer as the best all round product. There are new versions of the calibre-viewer coming down the pipeline - whereas STDU may have been abandoned.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:36 AM   #15
ri-chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

I've never heard of STDU until now. I see it and its companion products haven't been updated for a couple of years or more.

BR
Ok. Thanks Red. That is a shame, because I like the feel of STDU.