Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-26-2011, 11:41 PM   #31
kram
kram has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kram has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kram has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kram has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
To solve my font problem I just deleted the book from the Touch, made a new epub using Calibre and loaded it onto my Touch. All is OK now. Perhaps not the ideal solution in terms of figuring out what went wrong but I'm able to read my book again.
kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:29 AM   #32
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlyth View Post
Hi KiwiPippa,

I get around the Calibre "no margins issue" by
  • Converting the epub with (say) a 6 point left and right margin
  • Tweaking the epub file within Calibre and opening the stylesheet.css file
  • Deleting the references to 6pt left and right margins
  • Redbuild in Calibre
  • Upload to KT, and the margins now work nicely!

It would be great if Caibre could be tweaked to give an option of not having any left and right margin settings in the body of the book chapters to get away from the need to manually correct them.....

Cheers
John
Thanks john

I'll give this a go. It was never a problem with my original kobo - only the kobo touch
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 03:45 AM   #33
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I'm still on 1.9.6 I connect to my Wifi and tap "Update" but it doesn't pick it up...
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:47 AM   #34
JBlyth
Connoisseur
JBlyth doesn't litterJBlyth doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch, Ipaq 214, HTC WildFire Android
Yes, it seems to be related directly to the KT only .....

I have submitted an enhancement request to Calibre asking if an option NOT to set the left and right margins might be possible to overcome the KT margin issue with Calibre.

As an aside - I think the page turns are much more reliable in the new version. I haven't had a failure to turn the page all afternoon - although I was just grabbing a few pages at a time between glider tows (while I was on the ground, of course ;-)
JBlyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:54 AM   #35
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
I'm still on 1.9.6 I connect to my Wifi and tap "Update" but it doesn't pick it up...
I've only had the Touch since yesterday evening, so probably haven't looked around enough. Where is the "update" to tap?
The 1.9.6 got installed through Kobo Desktop, but it can't see the 1.9.7 yet. I'm sure it will be here soon though!

(For what it's worth, I like the small standby/off covers, but realize I'm in minority...)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 03:57 AM   #36
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I've only had the Touch since yesterday evening, so probably haven't looked around enough. Where is the "update" to tap?
The 1.9.6 got installed through Kobo Desktop, but it can't see the 1.9.7 yet. I'm sure it will be here soon though!

(For what it's worth, I like the small standby/off covers, but realize I'm in minority...)

You press the little cloud at the bottom right of your front screen of the Kobo.
It should sync and check for updates.
I wonder if the 1.9.7 has been pulled....
Old 07-27-2011, 04:01 AM   #37
danskmacabre
Guru

You can also update fromt he Kobo Desktop program when you plug in your KT to the PC via the USB cable.
Just click the Sync button.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:36 AM   #38
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Kobo staff disabled the update process whilst they look into the problem with it.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:39 AM   #39
danskmacabre
Guru

ahhhh, thanks for the heads up
What was wrong with it?
Is there a problem with the update process, or the actual firmware?
Old 07-27-2011, 05:50 AM   #40
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I don't know. It could, I suppose, be either. The beta group did not have a release candidate to test, but generally, the changes between what we do test and it are pretty minimal.

Last edited by taming; 07-27-2011 at 06:36 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:26 AM   #41
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclements View Post
Those seeing the issue after you restarted with the upgrade applied, what steps did you do next? The book you opened was defaulted to the larger font size as soon as it was opened or did you do anything else?
First thing I did was close the popup with the 1.9.7 details, then opened the book I was reading (to its bookmark, natch; Louise de la Valliere by Dumas off of Project Gutenberg). It was defaulted to the larger size (the factory default size) and only affected that book.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #42
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hi everyone,

We have temporarily disabled the 1.9.7 upgrade while we look into issues some members here had reported regarding font sizing.

At this point, the issues seem relatively isolated and manifest in sideloaded epubs only. We're still investigating and will re-enable the upgrade as soon as we can. If anyone has any information or experience they would like to share that might be pertinent, please feel free to post here or PM me, mdclements, MDK, or any other Kobo rep on the boards.

Thanks all for your patience and feedback.

Sameer.

Last edited by SameerH; 07-27-2011 at 09:50 AM.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #43
thepossum
Zealot
thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo
And for those few people unable to change the font size in their sideloaded file, there IS a workaround. But I guess that since it requires manually editing a hidden configuration file which risks further corrupting your Kobo Touch if you accidentally do it wrong, they don't want to widely distribute the information.

PM for the workaround.
thepossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #44
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
The bug where side loaded epubs deleted from the SD card via the K.T. are actually still on the SD card is not fixed. A paper clip reset simply brings them back to KT.
Just an update:

This bug is known to Kobo Developers and will be fixed in a future update.

Thank you SameerH for your quick response.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #45
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw11 View Post
Yeah, same. Must be a rolling update?
Weird. With my WiFi when the last update came out it took me almost weeks before it got offered OTA, however on my Touch when I went to turn on WiFi and it was updating reading life, etc. it popped up with downloading fw update as soon as it was finished synching my account...

Then I just let it install/reboot and THEN went and downloaded my book from my calibre content server... handy that web browser, just wish that it had a status bar for downloads as I just kill a minute or so and HOPE that it's done because I generally want to turn WiFi back off(airplane) immediately after a dl to conserve batt power.

I only opened the newly dled book, didn't try changing font size, etc. but if I remember to later I'll try...

[EDIT]
nvm, I see now that Kobo shut it off temporarily... but if they change it, that makes me a beta tester outside of the beta test group...
[/EDIT]

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 07-27-2011 at 01:15 PM.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote