Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
utelnetd - yet another remote shell application

It bothers me that I can't get a nice shell using ssh anymore under the newest firmware versions. So I looked around, and found that @reader42 already ported the utelnetd telnet server to PocketBook devices. Very nice! Using his source code, I packaged up versions for the older 3XX and the newer Pro/360+ devices. I've also included a copy of bash in each package. Pick the right zip file for your device, and unzip the contents in /mnt/ext1/.

Instead of using the Inkview application that @reader42 provided for controlling the daemon, I used a couple of shell scripts instead (utelnetd_start.app and utelnetd_stop.app). I did this because they are smaller, platform-independent, and, most importantly, run in the background. Thus, you can do other stuff on the device while logged in via telnet (which makes it nice for debugging).

Within the Applications tab, click on utelnetd_start to start the server in the background and connect to the net, and click on utelnetd_stop to disconnect from the net and kill the server. While the server is running, you can telnet to the device via port 10000:

Code:
telnet <IP-address> 10000
You get a prompt, command history and editting, and even vi behaves nicely.

You can change the port number by editting the applications/utelnetd_start.app script. If you want to put bash somewhere else than /mnt/ext1/system/bin, then you need to rebuild utelnetd for that. Get the sources from: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...for_PocketBook. I've also uploaded the updated Makefile I used to build utelnetd. You need to change the Makefile if you want to put bash somewhere other than /mnt/ext1/system/bin/.

Thanks @reader42

Edit: I should point out that when you exit the telnet session on the PC, the terminal seems to hang until the server is killed on the device. I don't know how to fix that, so please pipe up anyone that does.

Edit1: Added /mnt/ext1/system/bin automatically to the PATH for the shell.

Edit2: Added pop up dialog that states what IP address and port it is listening to. You have to install sh_ivtool.app (found in the Developer section) and uncomment the line in applications/utelnetd_start.app that starts with "#SH_IVTOOLS=" to see the dialog.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Makefile.zip (849 Bytes, 451 views)
File Type: zip utelnetd-Pro.zip (585.7 KB, 280 views)
File Type: zip utelnetd-3XX.zip (537.1 KB, 252 views)

Last edited by rkomar; 02-11-2018 at 03:39 PM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
readMax
Enthusiast
readMax began at the beginning.

Device: Pro612
Thank you very much you guys (reader42, rkomar) - it works great!

If I had the find command available for my Pro612 now too, it would be totally awesome.

Greetings
Max
readMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, most of the utility programs in the Debian Lenny armel distribution are compatible with the recent PocketBook devices. You can pretty much copy them to the device and use them in the terminal. Some of the more complex programs may not have all of the libraries available on the device, but even in those cases you can copy the libraries over and play with LD_LIBRARY_PATH to run them. I know that find works, because that was one of the first programs I copied over myself.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
readMax
Enthusiast
readMax began at the beginning.

Device: Pro612
You are absolutely right - thanks again
You just made my day.

readMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
rkomar
Wizard

I updated the utelnetd daemon to automatically add "/mnt/ext1/system/bin" to the PATH environmental variable.
Advert
Old 06-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #6
rkomar
Wizard

I added a pop-up dialog that states what the IP address and port are that the daemon is listening to. For this to work, you have to install the sh_ivtool.app program to /mnt/ext1/system/bin, and uncomment the line in the applications/utelnetd_start.app script that starts with "#SH_IVTOOL=...". (uncommenting means removing the "#" character at the start of the line). The sh_ivtool program is available in a thread in the Developers section.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:01 AM   #7
biokomiker
biokomiker began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 626
utelnet on Pocketbook 626?

Hi,

will utelnetd work on Pocketbook 626 or does it neet recompiling?
biokomiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:05 AM   #8
rkomar
Wizard

I think it should work. I use it on my Inkpad with the 5.4 firmware.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:04 PM   #9
biokomiker
biokomiker began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 626
YES, it works. Thanks. Sometimes very responsive, sometimes not (in the same session)- any clues?
biokomiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:09 PM   #10
rkomar
Wizard

I've noticed that on my Inkpad with the 5.4 firmware. The devices with the version 2 or 4 firmwares don't show such pauses. I think parts of the device go to sleep, and it takes a few moments to wake back up again. I don't think it has anything to do with the utelnetd program itself, so there's nothing much I can do to fix it.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:20 AM   #11
EastEriq
Groupie
EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Cybook Orizon, PocketBook Touch HD
Reporting that the -Pro version (+sh_ivtool) works on my HD Touch, except for a typo: a missing ` at the end of line 25 of utelnetd_start.app, which should read
Code:
  IP=`ifconfig eth0 | grep "inet addr" | cut -d ':' -f 2 | cut -d ' ' -f 1`

Last edited by EastEriq; 01-19-2018 at 02:23 AM.
EastEriq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:01 AM   #12
rkomar
Wizard

You're right. Thanks. I'm surprised it worked before. Perhaps the shell on the older devices is more lenient.

Edit: No, it didn't work on the old devices either. I probably cut and paste those commands from the working sshd script and missed the trailing backtick. I guess nobody used that part of the script (including me).

Last edited by rkomar; 01-19-2018 at 04:17 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:41 PM   #13
rkomar
Wizard

I updated the zip files in the first post with the fix for the missing backtick bug. There is no need to update devices unless you want to use the pop-up dialog to show the IP address of the device.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:01 PM   #14
robberknight
robberknight began at the beginning.

Device: Cray XK7
Hi,

I just tried your utelnetd-Pro.zip on an Inkpad 3 (PB740), Firmware U740.5.17.1392.

It works out of the box. Thank you!

Login just seems to be to user "reader". Do you know an easy way to get root? Or do I need to cook up some exploit or open the device to access the flash ic or serial interface?
robberknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:19 PM   #15
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by robberknight View Post
Login just seems to be to user "reader". Do you know an easy way to get root? Or do I need to cook up some exploit or open the device to access the flash ic or serial interface?
I don't think there is any crack to get root on these devices. The best place to look is in the Russian forums for up-to-date information.

To be honest, you can do a lot without needing root, so I don't think there is a much incentive to try to find a crack.