Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-30-2019, 01:29 PM   #226
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2019_07_30T13_16_54-0401.png
Views:	219
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	172703

Code:
[root@kindle root]# fbink -c -t regular=/mnt/us/fonts/code2000.ttf,px=300 -m -M "??????"
[FBInk] Detected a Kindle PaperWhite 3 (0G1 -> 0x201 => Muscat on Wario)
[FBInk] Clock tick frequency appears to be 100 Hz
[FBInk] Screen density set to 300 dpi
[FBInk] Variable fb info: 1072x1448, 8bpp @ rotation: 3 (Counter Clockwise, 270°)
[FBInk] Fontsize set to 24x24 (IBM base glyph size: 8x8)
[FBInk] Line length: 44 cols, Page size: 60 rows
[FBInk] Vertical fit isn't perfect, shifting rows down by 4 pixels
[FBInk] Fixed fb info: ID is "mxc_epdc_fb", length of fb mem: 6782976 bytes & line length: 1088 bytes
[FBInk] Pen colors set to #000000 for the foreground and #FFFFFF for the background
Loading font '/mnt/us/fonts/code2000.ttf' for the Regular style
[FBInk] Font '/mnt/us/fonts/code2000.ttf' loaded
Printing string '' @ 0.0pt (or 300px), honoring the following margins { Top: 0px, Bottom: 0px, Left: 0px, Right: 0px } (formatted: N, compute only: N, no truncation: N, overlay: N, no BG: N, no FG: N, inverted: N, flashing: N, centered: Y, H align: 0, halfway: Y, V align: 0, clear screen: Y, waveform: AUTO, dithered: N, nightmode: N, skip refresh: N)
Next line should start @ top=874
Rendered 1 lines out of the 1 expected

[root@kindle root]# screenshot
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:42 PM   #227
PoP
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi @NiLuJe. Only suggestions.

Just noticed that in your last post, your karma was increased by 42

Is fbink latest version the "Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything"?

Everything really? After fixed fonts, vector fonts, graphics, how about an evolution to -d mode for drawing...

... a line from -x1 -y1 to -x2 -y2 of a given -px width in a -C color

... a rectangle having opposite corners -x1 -y1 to -x2 -y2 of a given -px width in a -C color and a -B fill color

... a circle having -x1 -y1 at its center and a -x2 -y2 point on its circumference, of a given -px width in a -C color and a -B fill color

... an ellipse, connected lines, etc?

Naturally the -o -O -T overlay styles would be welcome.

and for good measure, supporting w & h for rescaling, possibly adding a new clipping mode.

Last edited by PoP; 07-30-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:53 PM   #228
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@PoP: I'm *really* not a math guy, so, ideally, shape & polygon drawing are best left to dedicated 2D graphics library, baked into a pixmap which you can then feed to fbink_print_raw_data .

f.g., Pillow has basic drawing functionality like that.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-30-2019 at 07:59 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:02 PM   #229
PoP

^ Respectfully ACKed.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:01 PM   #230
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Released v1.18.1!

Minor maintenance release, mostly minor documentation tweaks. Plus a new helper function to more easily deal with memory management of dumps, especially for bindings in languages where getting access to the libc's malloc/free requires a bit of hoop-jumping (looking at you, cFFI ;p).
Old 09-01-2019, 12:46 PM   #231
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released v1.19.0!

Mostly documentation cleanups, and a few tweaks to the dump/restore API to support cropping.

Also a crapload of behind-the-scenes toolchain-related experiments that ultimately amounted to me not changing a thing (Linaro 7.4 for'evah!) .
Old 09-14-2019, 01:45 PM   #232
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released v1.20.0!

Besides a few bugfixes here and there, this version introduces a significant behavior change: blocking after a flashing update is no longer the default behavior, instead, that decision is left entirely up to you.

Please check the full release notes for more details .

----

I, err, may also have spent a few days playing with the fire effect from the PSX Doom port as a mildly fun way to stress-test the EPDC.

See this video to see it in action.

(First comes a PW2 w/ AUTO, probably making excellent use of its fancy *_FAST waveform modes [./doom -t -S2 -l 24], and then another run in A2 mode [./doom -t -S2 -l 24 -W A2]. Then comes the Forma, running in DU mode w/ HW dithering [./doom -t -S3 -l 24 -W DU -d]).

Not pictured is the H2O, because of its, err, less than stellar performance.
The same would probably be true of anything earlier than a PW2.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-28-2020 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Now shipped w/ the main package
Old 09-30-2019, 12:51 PM   #233
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released v1.20.1!

Minor maintenance release, with a few minor tweaks & fixes.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #234
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released v1.20.2!

A few minor fixes, and the new daemon mode for the CLI, to make some specific workflows slightly more API-like in shell scripts .
Old 11-22-2019, 06:44 PM   #235
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released v1.20.3!

Boring maintenance release with a few minor fixes .
Old 12-12-2019, 10:55 PM   #236
pavel-s
Enthusiast
pavel-s began at the beginning.

Device: PW3/4
@NiLuJe First of all, thanks for the great app!

Would you consider adding UI elements to this library? For example, an input dialogue, dropdown, etc. Or is it better add them to a different library?
pavel-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:01 PM   #237
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@pavel-s: That would definitely be much higher-level than what I'm aiming for, yeah .

Basically, I'd draw (ha!) the line at basic drawing primitives (line, triangle, polygons, that kind of thing). I have no interest in doing that myself, but I'd be open for that kind of stuff to be merged in the main lib .

(c.f., an earlier discussion about immediate mode UI toolkits for some more context).

EDIT: Said discussion is probably in the Kobo thread ).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-12-2019 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:31 AM   #238
pavel-s
Enthusiast
pavel-s began at the beginning.

Device: PW3/4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@pavel-s: That would definitely be much higher-level than what I'm aiming for, yeah .

Basically, I'd draw (ha!) the line at basic drawing primitives (line, triangle, polygons, that kind of thing).
Year, simple UI components most likely are the best choice for e-ink screens.

Quote:
I have no interest in doing that myself, but I'd be open for that kind of stuff to be merged in the main lib .
You've got it, that what I was thinking

Quote:
(c.f., an earlier discussion about immediate mode UI toolkits for some more context).

EDIT: Said discussion is probably in the Kobo thread ).
Thanks, I'll try to track this topic.
pavel-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:42 PM   #239
handyguy
Connoisseur
handyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to beholdhandyguy is a marvel to behold

Device: PW4
Thanks, I am now using fbink! - certainly less fussy than eips!
handyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:18 PM   #240
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released v1.21.0!

A major release, with a bunch of fixes and a quite a few new features, see the release notes for details .

To name a few of those things:

* Padding handling in the OT/TTF codepath, making it easier to print overlapping text at the same coordinates without having to worry about overlap.
* Being able to clear a specific region of the screen (A.K.A.: let's paint filled rectangles freely).
* You're now able to try out the legacy dithering features available on FW >= 5.5.
* I'm fairly confident I fixed the true hardware dithering issue on Zelda & Rex, too .
* The doom demo featured a while back now ships with the standalone packages.

There are a couple of breaking changes, both as far as the CLI & API are concerned, so, do read the relevant sections of the release notes .

Also, if you happen to own a reMarkable tablet, it is now supported, thanks to @tcrs!

Tags
eips, fbink