Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-27-2023, 11:23 PM   #931
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I struggled to watch the end of Carnivale Row, but man, what a disappointment S.2 ended up being. Total loss, and by the end, I was rooting for all--all--the protagonists to die. Literally. hated them all.
“The test of any good fiction is that you should care something for the characters; the good to succeed, the bad to fail. The trouble with most fiction is that you want them all to land in hell together, as quickly as possible.”—Mark Twain
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 02:29 AM   #932
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
This weekend I watched the first episode of the new season of Yellowjackets. Which was okay, basically an episode to remind the viewer of what happened in the first season.

Then I watched the movie Brackenmore, a horror set in Ireland. Which I don't recommend. There is no real plot, it felt like not one part was properly worked out. They could have done so much more if there was more information about the main character's childhood or the village or the relationship between the main character and her husband.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2023, 10:34 AM   #933
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
“The test of any good fiction is that you should care something for the characters; the good to succeed, the bad to fail. The trouble with most fiction is that you want them all to land in hell together, as quickly as possible.”—Mark Twain
Yes, and honestly, that pretty much sums up exactly how I felt about all their characters, plot elements, tropes, etc. by the time they got to the last 3-4 episodes. Such a waste. They could have done a lot with it, but noooooo.

Urgh.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 08:21 PM   #934
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Starting a rewatch of Babylon 5 - now remastered - and gorgeous - I'm really enjoying the stories and characters - holding up well.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 08:58 AM   #935
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Starting a rewatch of Babylon 5 - now remastered - and gorgeous - I'm really enjoying the stories and characters - holding up well.
Where ar you seeing that remastered? I started to watch it on HBO Max, and it definitely was NOT remastered.

Hitch
Advert
Old 03-31-2023, 09:37 AM   #936
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Where ar you seeing that remastered? I started to watch it on HBO Max, and it definitely was NOT remastered.

Hitch
Watching it on Tubi - after it expired on HBO Max, Straczynski placed the remastered version on Tubi and Roku - including the pilot and the movies.

I remember the originals - dark & 'muddy' photography.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:49 AM   #937
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Watching it on Tubi - after it expired on HBO Max, Straczynski placed the remastered version on Tubi and Roku - including the pilot and the movies.

I remember the originals - dark & 'muddy' photography.
Aren't TUBI and ROKU both with commercials?

Hitch
Old 03-31-2023, 10:23 AM   #938
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Aren't TUBI and ROKU both with commercials?

Hitch
Yeah - Amazon has seasons 1 - 5, and some of the movies, but AFAIK only Tubi and Roku have the pilot and the movies playing in chronological order with the episodes. The commercials are annoying, but not a deal breaker for me - the pilot was unforgettable - with Delenn's original makeup.
Old 03-31-2023, 10:32 AM   #939
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Yeah - Amazon has seasons 1 - 5, and some of the movies, but AFAIK only Tubi and Roku have the pilot and the movies playing in chronological order with the episodes. The commercials are annoying, but not a deal breaker for me - the pilot was unforgettable - with Delenn's original makeup.
Oh, yes, I loved that show, back when it was running, but Mr. H is intolerant of commercials. Highly. So...I mean, he gets vexed when paramount persists in running adverts for its own shows (as does Amazon) in front of something we've chosen to stream.

You gotta admit--I mean, this all started, back in the HBO days and all that with "commercial-free TV," That's gone to the dogs completely, between the premium channels' endless ads for their own stuff, DirecTV, if you get it, with Pause-ads, and the fact that (probably) 99% of what we all watch today, "streaming" is pretty much reruns. (sigh). Granted, sure, there are some original shows, from these various and sundry providers, like NFLX, Amazon, Paramount, etc. that are actually new, but the bulk is not. So, we're paying premium dollars to watch rerun content--with ads.

Hitch
Old 03-31-2023, 11:08 AM   #940
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Very true - I watch little 'original' programming, but mostly rerun content - finishing a binge watch of ER - holds up very well but still can't adjust to doctors smoking on screen.

I think Wednesday was the most recent 'original' show I watched ... and enjoyed.
Old 03-31-2023, 01:39 PM   #941
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Very true - I watch little 'original' programming, but mostly rerun content - finishing a binge watch of ER - holds up very well but still can't adjust to doctors smoking on screen.

I think Wednesday was the most recent 'original' show I watched ... and enjoyed.
LOL, well, the "watched...and enjoyed" part is the tricky part. Some of it seemed okay but the reality is, they target viewing toward much much younger people--those who can still be swayed by advertising, versus old farts--and thus, everything is for 12-15y.o's. All sorts of teen angst, romances and all that, and let's face it, that gets old quickly.

Oh, well, this is just another sucky part of aging, I guess, LOL.

I'm in the midst of another pass through Midsomer Murders--and I'm probably going to stop when Tom Barnaby leaves this time--I did an "almost all" pass-through of Murder She Wrote, and sort of burned out 1-2 seasons from the end (it can get...well...) and yes, yes yes, I'm doing another stroll through (real) Perry Mason. (By which I mean, Raymond Burr!) No matter how 'gritty" or so-called "Noir" the new one is, the truth is, I like the old one better. Just do.

More mysteries, more solving, less DRAMUH. Deciding on what I should do next...can't decide between something like Mission: impossible or Columbo, but neither is tripping my trigger. Just...running out of STUFF. Insomnia, sigh.

Hitch
Old 03-31-2023, 01:56 PM   #942
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Recently binged The Night Agent on Netflix. A fun little conspiracy romp. Also catching up on the latest Mandalorian, Ted Lasso, and The Rookie (Nathan Fillion). Still digging Will Trent, as well.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 02:50 PM   #943
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Recently binged The Night Agent on Netflix. A fun little conspiracy romp. Also catching up on the latest Mandalorian, Ted Lasso, and The Rookie (Nathan Fillion). Still digging Will Trent, as well.
I think I have one of The Night Agent left to watch. Don't have Disney, so, alas, no Mandalorian or SW or ST or any of that stuff (or Marvel!) for yours truly.

I never tried The Rookie. I used to love Fillion, in the Serenity days, of course, or Firefly, but when I tried to watch Castle, he was sooooo offputting that it just,well, put me off. To coin a phrase.

My comment about Castle and that "genre" of TV shows:

Spoiler:
(And it's always that way. It's always the super-smart snarky male portion, of some "couple" working together, whether it's Moonlighting or Remington Steele or The Mentalist, or...it's ALWAYS the man. Why? Because if the snotty know-it-all was the woman, men wouldn't watch it. )

:-)

Hitch
Old 03-31-2023, 03:30 PM   #944
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:

My comment about Castle and that "genre" of TV shows:
Spoiler:
(And it's always that way. It's always the super-smart snarky male portion, of some "couple" working together, whether it's Moonlighting or Remington Steele or The Mentalist, or...it's ALWAYS the man. Why? Because if the snotty know-it-all was the woman, men wouldn't watch it. )
Moreover, while I can't speak for the other two shows,

Spoiler:
the snarky roles in Moonlighting and Remington Steele led to colossal film careers for the actors while for the straight-man actresses, the shows were essentially the end of the line.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 04:00 PM   #945
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Moreover, while I can't speak for the other two shows,

Spoiler:
the snarky roles in Moonlighting and Remington Steele led to colossal film careers for the actors while for the straight-man actresses, the shows were essentially the end of the line.
Yes,, that's exactly right and I think we can assume that the female lead in Castle, although she's had film roles and all that, is never going to earn what Fillion eans per film/role.

Cybil Shepherd, of course, didn't need the $$. But it must have been infuriating. Ditto with Zimbalist; it must have chapped her ass to see him skyrocket to Bondage (ha!) whilst she was relegated to Lifetime-Made-for-TV, Women-In-Jeopardy films. It would have chapped my gluteus, I'll tell you that for nothing. It's as though the straight men, so to speak, get no credit for making the show work, when that's really the harder gig in so many ways.

And I'm sure it's the same for Mentalist. I am 99% sure that you can't compare pay rates for Simon Baker and Robbin Tunney. I am quite sure he out-earns the whack out of her.

It's the snotty snark, wise-ass thing that slays me. "Yup, we'll make it the man, because of course, he has to show her where she's going wrong" shtick. So irritating. If they role-reversed the genders, that show wouldn't last 3 episodes before being cancelled and you KNOW the men that watched would have nothing good to say about it. Instead of them thinking "gosh, how cute that is!"

Hitch