Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-12-2020, 07:52 PM   #31
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I rewatched some Barney Miller episodes, too. Tons of good stuff, but my all time favorite was the "Escape Artist" episode in season 1, with Roscoe Lee Browne.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:31 PM   #32
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
FWIW the free streamer Crackle currently has 13 BM S8 episodes. The early seasons were much better IMO but still worth a look...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2020, 04:29 AM   #33
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'm currently catching up on the two latest seasons of Grand Designs (UK) and I still need to watch the last episode of the first season of Line of Duty. Line of Duty is a very good series, but not for me I've decided. I'm not sure why, maybe it's too similar to other series.

After finishing Grand Designs and Line of Duty I'm going to start with Bosch. My plan for a classic film week didn't go anywhere, except digging out the DVDs. Maybe next week.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 05:15 AM   #34
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I'm currently catching up on the two latest seasons of Grand Designs (UK) and I still need to watch the last episode of the first season of Line of Duty. Line of Duty is a very good series, but not for me I've decided. I'm not sure why, maybe it's too similar to other series.

After finishing Grand Designs and Line of Duty I'm going to start with Bosch. My plan for a classic film week didn't go anywhere, except digging out the DVDs. Maybe next week.
Is that the Bosch that's on Amazon Prime? I loved the books and thought that the series was actually really good.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 05:46 AM   #35
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
Just watched the penultimate episode of 'Better Call Saul' series 5. If you liked 'Breaking Bad' this needs no further explanation; if you still don't know about B.C.S, where have you been!?!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2020, 02:54 PM   #36
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timebug View Post
Just watched the penultimate episode of 'Better Call Saul' series 5. If you liked 'Breaking Bad' this needs no further explanation; if you still don't know about B.C.S, where have you been!?!
Great show but we always wait and binge-watch after the season finale. Same with Baptiste. In the meantime Briarpatch and Devs have just finished so we'll be giving those a look, though expectations aren't high.

I just browsed the Acorn catalog and see quite a few good possibilities there starting with Deadwater Fell - I may have to subscribe for a few months.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:08 PM   #37
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Great show but we always wait and binge-watch after the season finale. Same with Baptiste. In the meantime Briarpatch and Devs have just finished so we'll be giving those a look, though expectations aren't high.

I just browsed the Acorn catalog and see quite a few good possibilities there starting with Deadwater Fell - I may have to subscribe for a few months.
I've seen that Briarpatch is available on our HBO subscription. I've been wanting to see if it was any good. But, like you, I like to be able to binge watch a full season. I'll have to see if the full series is already available or not. If it is I'll try it after the first season of Bosch.

Next weekend my sister and I had tickets to go see Riverdance 25 year Anniversary show in the cinema. I was really looking forward to it, since there hasn't been a live show in a while in the Netherlands and the anniversary show has been updated. But, of course, all cinemas are closed for the forseeable future. I had secretly been hoping that Riverdance would make the new show available for purchase online and/as DVD. But earlier this week they posted the cinema shows are being delayed until a time the cinemas are open again. So I'll have to do with various older DVDs I have in my collection. It'll be fun to see how the show has changed over the years.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X704F using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2020, 10:56 AM   #38
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Is that the Bosch that's on Amazon Prime? I loved the books and thought that the series was actually really good.
And, by coincidence, I got an e-mail this morning telling me that series 6 of Bosch is now available on Amazon Prime.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 01:03 PM   #39
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle

I think Bosch is one of the best TV adaptations of a detective series. Since the books don't have major characters that persist throughout the series, they did a good job of restructuring the stories to support a good cast of main characters. I assume Connelly has been closely involved throughout the process to maintain the quality.

Line of Duty is one of my British favorites - I like the "limited series" approach with a major guest role like Thandie Newton.

This morning I signed up for Acorn and identified quite a few series that look promising, along with new seasons of Doc Martin, Brokenwood, Midsomer, Blood, Keeping Faith and the Miss Fisher movie.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:41 PM   #40
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

I'm a bit tired so I've decided to postpone starting with Bosch. Now I'm torn between watching a film (either something I've already seen before or a crappy horror) or start catching up on the two latest seasons of Midsomer Murders. For the latter I had planned on rewatching the whole series, again. But it's slow going, so I've decided I wanted to watch the season I haven't seen before first.
Old 04-18-2020, 03:22 PM   #41
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle

Quote:
I'm a bit tired so I've decided to postpone starting with Bosch. Now I'm torn between watching a film (either something I've already seen before or a crappy horror) or start catching up on the two latest seasons of Midsomer Murders. For the latter I had planned on rewatching the whole series, again. But it's slow going, so I've decided I wanted to watch the season I haven't seen before first.
Midsomer has been a fun watch but I'd never make it through 20+ seasons a 2nd time. If you want something light like Midsomer you might want to check out Miss Fisher, Agatha Raisin, Brokenwood, New Tricks, Shakespeare & Hathaway, maybe Murdoch...

Edit> Watched 5 Bosch episodes - after the last scene in ep 5 things should get interesting. It's too bad they don't have the rights to the Mickey Haller character but they've molded Honey Chandler into a pretty good substitute...

Last edited by cc_in_oh; 04-18-2020 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:31 AM   #42
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I recently rewatched 'Midsomer Murders' but only the first 13 series, with John Nettles. I had seen one episode from a later series when Neil Dudgeon took over, and it just did not work, for me! Dudgeons character just felt too cold and aloof to me, where Nettles character was always warm and approachable.(I.M.O!)
Old 04-20-2020, 06:14 AM   #43
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by timebug View Post
I recently rewatched 'Midsomer Murders' but only the first 13 series, with John Nettles. I had seen one episode from a later series when Neil Dudgeon took over, and it just did not work, for me! Dudgeons character just felt too cold and aloof to me, where Nettles character was always warm and approachable.(I.M.O!)
I liked Nettles better too but Dudgeon wasn't bad, plus worth watching just for Sykes!
Old 04-22-2020, 04:40 AM   #44
timebug
Ancient Sage

I have discussed this with friends, I have nothing against Neil Dudgeon as an actor, and have seen him in some good things.But I just cannot take to him as Barnaby! Mind you, if you read the original books, Nettles is not really how you would picture Barnaby either!
Old 04-22-2020, 08:51 AM   #45
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

I don't mind Neil Dudgeon much. He plays a different character than John Nettles, he didn't take over the role.

I agree with Timebug and the books. I read one and Barnaby is so different I didn't like it and didn't get any of the other books.

I've started Bosch season 1 a couple of nights ago. I should finish it tonight or tomorrow night. I'm not sure what to watch next. I think something on Netflix, maybe The Mire (a Polish series), it looks interesting.