Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-19-2020, 04:20 PM   #1
jaapd
jaapd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader
PRS-T2 Does not open newer epubs from Gutenberg

My Sony PRS-T2N does not open newer epubs from Gutenberg.

The next two won't open:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/61324.epub.images

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/61326.epub.images

Others work perfectly:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/31107.epub.images

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3176.epub.images

The software version is: 1.0.01.05100

Any idea?
jaapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:23 PM   #2
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Can you explain what you mean by "does not open".
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2020, 06:33 PM   #3
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
With Calibre you can convert an epub which will simplify (sort of) the CSS. You don't need to convert it to another format first; for the output format set it to EPUB.

I've had some EPUBs that the Kobo Forma doesn't display properly; any error in the CSS (what it considers an error, that is) makes it ignore the entire CSS file.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:37 AM   #4
jaapd
jaapd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Can you explain what you mean by "does not open".
When I click on the book on me e-reader, the e-reader flickers a little and then the same windows reappears. Or the start window, or a bookshelf window.
jaapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:32 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapd View Post
When I click on the book on me e-reader, the e-reader flickers a little and then the same windows reappears. Or the start window, or a bookshelf window.
In Calibre, install the epubcheck plugin and load these books in the editor so you can check them. Use both the built in checker and epubcheck. Once both checkers say there are no errors, load them back on your T2 and try again.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2020, 10:35 AM   #6
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Angry

I find converting to mobi then back to epub fixes most things.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:35 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I find converting to mobi then back to epub fixes most things.
I would rather look at the ePub to find out what's wrong with it. If you convert to Mobi and then back, you could be changing the layout.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:39 PM   #8
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
from memory ( back when I had a sony reader) over-complicated code in the epub ( like multiple classes and spans within a single line) would overwhelm the reader and it would crash.
the code was not invalid, ( the books were fine in pc based renderers ) - just too hard for the reader renderer to cope with
you need to inspect the books or name them and ask others to, if they are PD from a public source
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 12:52 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
from memory ( back when I had a sony reader) over-complicated code in the epub ( like multiple classes and spans within a single line) would overwhelm the reader and it would crash.
the code was not invalid, ( the books were fine in pc based renderers ) - just too hard for the reader renderer to cope with
you need to inspect the books or name them and ask others to, if they are PD from a public source
Good idea to let us know which books so we can take a look and see what's up. PG ePub are machine converted and not always that great codewise.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:18 AM   #10
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
ADE 4.0 opens both books but crashes as soon as one goes beyond the cover. I did not dare to put them on my Sonies.
Cleaning the css rules did not change anything.
Renaming all files (automatic or manual) did not improve the situation.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:25 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Wasn't there some limit on individual file sizes inside the ePub on the Sony readers?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM   #12
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

sometimes a epub to peub conversion in calibre works wonders, and is faster tan a manual debug. try it and report back.
( if ADE crashes, there's more to it than jsut individual file size )
Old 03-25-2020, 06:53 AM   #13
stumped
Wizard

taking the first of your 2 links from #1. book opens ok in sigil, but it crashes ADE 2.0 when i try to move past the 1st page
using sigil code view, I see that in 2nd file of book, the body section is empty... maybe that is the issue
<body>
<div class="body">
</div>
</body>

trying my own suggestion of calibre to calibre convert...
the converted version works in ADE

but... looking at the converted file in calibre editor. there is still an empty body section
<body class="calibre">

<div class="front">
</div>
</body>
its like I said before, the conversion fixes stuff faster than a manual debug.
others may be curious enough to dig deeper though

actually , this is more likely- running a check in calibre editor ( after the conversion) if gives 154 errors, nearly all to do with unsafe characters, e.g.
The filename OEBPS/@public@vhost@g@gutenberg@html@files@61324@61324-h@61324-h-11.htm_split_001.html contains unsafe characters, that must be escaped, like this OEBPS/%40public%40vhost%40g%40gutenberg%40html%40files%4 061324%4061324-h%4061324-h-11.htm_split_001.html. This can cause problems with some e-book readers. To be absolutely safe, use only the English alphabet [a-z], the numbers [0-9], underscores and hyphens in your file names. While many other characters are allowed, they may cause problems with some software.

i have no idea if there is a mechanism to report a problem book to PG

Last edited by stumped; 03-25-2020 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:01 AM   #14
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Wasn't there some limit on individual file sizes inside the ePub on the Sony readers?
Yes, but the Sonies ignore anything that comes after...
I mean, they work normally, just the text is truncated at the limit.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:21 AM   #15
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Yes, but the Sonies ignore anything that comes after...
I mean, they work normally, just the text is truncated at the limit.
is not file size. it's the stuff in my previous post #13

Tags
prs t2