Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
gianfri
Connoisseur
gianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony
Jump to page number?

Hi,

quick question from a newbie. Is there a way to jump to a certain page number (e.g., page 26)? I know about the page slider, but it is not as exact if I want to go to a specific page number. Thanks!
gianfri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I wish
Not only is my slider hard to navigate with sometimes I hit the right arrow and it goes all the way to the start of the book and will go to the end of the book with the left.
The opposite direction of the arrow I am hitting

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
gianfri
Connoisseur
gianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura aboutgianfri has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony
Ouch! I am surprised that such a basic feature is missing from an otherwise fine reader. Not the answer I was hoping for - but thanks!!
gianfri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:07 AM   #4
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Not the only example of really bad software development at Kobo.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
Elfuente
Enthusiast
Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: kobo glo
unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Not the only example of really bad software development at Kobo.
+1

Yes, the KG has sufficient good hardware to be a great device, unfortunately the developers made an utterly terrible job.
There are many things less than poorly implemented!!!

P.s.: BTW, it´s a beautiful device, but for me comes first functionality and than beauty with such tools

Last edited by Elfuente; 12-24-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Elfuente is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Why would anyone want an efficient way to go to a specific page number when you can have all the excitement of not knowing where you might end up by using an imprecise slider?

Last edited by JD Gumby; 12-24-2012 at 09:27 PM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:25 AM   #7
Elfuente
Enthusiast
Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: kobo glo
new point of view

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Why would anyone want an efficient way to go to a specific page number when you can have all the excitement of not knowing where you might end up by using an imprecise slider?
never saw it like this.
Maybe we could also get rid of the titles in the library and every time you start the KG a new book opens randomly.

Elfuente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:53 AM   #8
voidoid
Connoisseur
voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfuente View Post
never saw it like this.
Maybe we could also get rid of the titles in the library and every time you start the KG a new book opens randomly.

Do not, I repeat, do not make jokes like this. Do not give the Kobo programmers any new ideas. I'm pretty sure that they would see this as a pretty good "feature". If it gets implemented I'm going to be blaming you.
voidoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gianfri View Post
Ouch! I am surprised that such a basic feature is missing from an otherwise fine reader. Not the answer I was hoping for - but thanks!!
Actually, the Kobo and Kobo WiFi had that feature. Pop up a little window, type in the page number and go. Slow and clumsy. The slider with a bit of practice is a decent replacement.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The slider is OK for kepub books, because then you are just selecting from the number of pages in a chapter. But in a 500+ page epub book there are just not enough gradations on the slider to reliably get closer than about 5-10 pages from the target. Then 20-30 (depending on font size) further taps are needed to get to the correct page. Entering a page number from the keyboard would be much easier, or even having the left/right navigation arrows turn one book page (rather than just one screen page) at a time would make it easier.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote