Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-26-2020, 09:42 AM   #1
mdauso
mdauso is that somebody.mdauso is that somebody.mdauso is that somebody.mdauso is that somebody.mdauso is that somebody.mdauso is that somebody.mdauso is that somebody.mdauso is that somebody.mdauso is that somebody.mdauso is that somebody.mdauso is that somebody.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2
Online Pictureframe

Hello Folks,

I like to thank you all for your help and hints. Without you my picture frame project would have been not possible to realize.

I built an Online Pictureframe for the grandparents and all of them (two parties) are very happy with this.

You will find my Project here:

https://cafebrick.wordpress.com/2020...le-paperwhite/

It´s in german but you can translate by hitting the translate button.

Maybe someone will build it as well. I would be happy.

Cheers Mario

Supplement 5.3.2020

In the beginning of the Project is was based on Paperwhite. Now I performed a test on a Paperwhite 2 and the script is running as well. I found something interesting regarding the script runtime on both the Kindles.

Paperwhite:
complete script: 1:13 min.
Imagemagick: 53 sec.

Paperwhite 2:
complete script: 21 sec.
Imagemagick: 9 sec.

Sounds like using a Paperwhite 2 can increase the time until the next charching by 3 times.

Cheers, Mario

Last edited by mdauso; 03-05-2020 at 03:39 AM.
mdauso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:29 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
A very nice article.
Well documented and described.
And thanks for the credits to the people who helped out here.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:57 AM   #3
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
How nice is your implementation of extended power cord and button

I am sorry to point it out, but you have a typo:
"Vielen Dank an NiJuLe für die hilfreichen Hinweise."
Should be NiLuJe
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:13 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Fun fact: happens often enough that it doesn't actually bother me all that much ;p.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:29 PM   #5
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Very nice.

Google translate doesn't seem to know German colloquialisms; I smiled when I saw "Unfortunately, Amazon does not sleep on the tree".

Here's a variation on your idea that costs a wee bit more:

https://onezero.medium.com/the-morni...d-35b407822494
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:05 AM   #6
mdauso
mdauso is that somebody.mdauso is that somebody.mdauso is that somebody.mdauso is that somebody.mdauso is that somebody.mdauso is that somebody.mdauso is that somebody.mdauso is that somebody.mdauso is that somebody.mdauso is that somebody.mdauso is that somebody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
How nice is your implementation of extended power cord and button

I am sorry to point it out, but you have a typo:
"Vielen Dank an NiJuLe für die hilfreichen Hinweise."
Should be NiLuJe
Hello,

thats right, thank you for the hint. I have corrected it.
Sorry NiLuJe, I know what it feels like. People create the craziest variations on my last name.

Cheers, Mario
Old 02-27-2020, 06:59 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Lovely!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:56 AM   #8
mdauso

configurate a none reachable WLAN

Hello Guys,

can I preconfigure WLAN settings (ID and Password) on a kindle without any connection to the desired WLAN.

The reason behind is, that my parents will take the picture frame along on their next visit but my father is not able to disassemble the picture frame and enter the needed WLAN information to the kindle.
Otherwise they have to wait until my next visit at them.

Cheers, Mario
Old 03-06-2020, 07:20 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've used an ancient Sony-Ericsson phone as WiFi to USB networking adaptor when WiFi didn't work on a laptop I was installing. That won't help you.
However a WiFi repeater (which can at worst case slow WiFi to less than 1/2 speed) can be setup with at least the existing details for the Kindle.
Some phones / tablets / laptops can either built-in via OS or an app be setup to be wifi repeaters.

Or you can use a laptop on ethernet cable at new site and have it be an airpoint with existing settings. May need an application if not built in to OS.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:39 AM   #10
mdauso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I've used an ancient Sony-Ericsson phone as WiFi to USB networking adaptor when WiFi didn't work on a laptop I was installing. That won't help you.
However a WiFi repeater (which can at worst case slow WiFi to less than 1/2 speed) can be setup with at least the existing details for the Kindle.
Some phones / tablets / laptops can either built-in via OS or an app be setup to be wifi repeaters.

Or you can use a laptop on ethernet cable at new site and have it be an airpoint with existing settings. May need an application if not built in to OS.
Hello Quoth,

that´s a good idea, I will give it a try.

Thanks a lot,
Mario
Old 03-06-2020, 12:21 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can take a look at the list of lipc properties handled by com.lab126.wifid, but even if it were possible to programmatically setup a new connection, I doubt it'd get saved if said network is unreachable at the time.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:14 AM   #12
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauso View Post
Hello Guys,

can I preconfigure WLAN settings (ID and Password) on a kindle without any connection to the desired WLAN.

The reason behind is, that my parents will take the picture frame along on their next visit but my father is not able to disassemble the picture frame and enter the needed WLAN information to the kindle.
Otherwise they have to wait until my next visit at them.

Cheers, Mario
take a look at this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=35
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 12:57 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@encol: That doesn't integrate with the Kindle UI and/or quite work if the network is currently unavailable, though, right?
Old 03-12-2020, 04:33 PM   #14
mattzz
mattzz began at the beginning.

Device: pw, pw2
Hey Mario,

I created a very similar project.
My picture frame pulls images from a shared album on Google Photos: https://github.com/mattzzw/kindle-gphotos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauso View Post
Hello Guys,

I am using a very crude shell script to connect to a wifi with preconfigured SSID and PSK. The script calls wpa_cli as well as the dhcp client. It works pretty well.
mattzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:12 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@mattzz: More of a documentation tweak than a real issue: this works because you have USBNet installed (e.g., rsync in PATH, and an fbink build w/ image support in PATH), and, err, well, obviously, Python, too ;p.